mouth breathing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

mouth breathing

#1 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

I am a habitual mouth breather and have a crossbite, narrow upper jaw and open bite. I thought maybe there is a relation between my bite issues and the mouth breathing? Or maybe it is just a bad habit?

Any of you who also usually breathe throught the mouth? Did you do anything against this or do you think it is ok, nothing to worry about too much.

And how about relapse? Is it true that the orthodontic results more easily relapse with mouth breathing?

WiredOldLady

Re: mouth breathing

#2 Post by WiredOldLady »

I am a mouth breather. I have an overbite, but that's it. I would think that as long as you wear your retainers like you're supposed to, relapse wouldn't be a big deal.
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

kpw818

#3 Post by kpw818 »

Hi,

I have a lot of trouble breathing through my nose. I'm not sure if my bite issues came first or second. I have a midface/maxilla deficiency, so I believe that plays a role (and braces+expander+upper jaw surgery will revise). I know other people who have finished the surgery said they can breathe better. I would say the narrow upper does contribute, as it can constrict nasal passages.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Mouth breathing is well-known to cause development issues with the palate, and then your nasal passages and palate kind of get in a feeedback loop, as the narrower palate causes more mouth breathing. But as a fully-grown adult, this isn't a problem any more.

I will say that getting the "roto-rooter" surgery done to my septum helped out my breathing, and my transverse LeFort I helped out even more.

Anna5

#5 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks for your replies. I think I will raise my concerns with my ortho next time I go in.

mmkay

#6 Post by mmkay »

Anna5 wrote:And how about relapse? Is it true that the orthodontic results more easily relapse with mouth breathing?
I breathe through my mouth sometimes at night. I was advised breathing through my mouth at night increases the risk of relapse of open bite.

lostinspace

#7 Post by lostinspace »

Do you find you have to strain your lips to close your mouth? If so, you have what is called lip incompetence. Generally this causes you to breathe through your mouth most of the time since your lips are rarely closed unless you force them. It's probably related to your open bite issue.

Anna5

#8 Post by Anna5 »

I think I have that too! I will defnitely adress this issue with my ortho as well.

kittenpoint

#9 Post by kittenpoint »

My dentist gave me a poker chip and told me to balance it between my lips, not biting down on it with my teeth just holding it in place with my lips, to train myself to keep my mouth closed so that I would stop mouth breathing. I don't know if mouth breathing will affect your ortho work but it can cause dry mouth and lead to a higher rate of cavities.

It takes a couple of months but I don't have problems with keeping my mouth closed anymore.

dono

#10 Post by dono »

Thanks for the tip. I will try that out.