Underbite with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jessesgirl09

Underbite with Braces

#1 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Sorry if this is a lot to read!

First off, this is my second. Yes, SECOND time in both upper and lower braces. I had them I believe 6 years ago when I was 16. I'm now 22.

My first treatment:
My first orthodontist had me in an upper permanent expander for I think 6ish weeks which was to help expand my narrow upper jaw and help even out slight crowding. He then placed me in both upper and lower braces for 2 years. I had my wisdom teeth out around at this time as well. At the end, he was super pushy about me having a double jaw surgery!! And when I told him that surgery was not the road I wanted to take he pretty much just gave up (I think he was not happy he didn't get his $ from making a referral; I'm sure that could be a reason). He put me in a clear upper retainer and a permanent wire retainer along the inside of my lower front teeth. 5k later, my teeth were straight, the alignment was OK, but my underbite wasn't any better!! I also had to have a gum graft on my two lower center teeth because the gum had receded... Which was awful :(

Flash forward to present time, my fiancé and his siblings all are in for orthodontic treatment with a DIFFERENT orthodontist in our state than the one I went to. I sat down with my fiancé and talked about what I should do. I want to save myself from future jaw issues, and have a better self esteem, as well as look good for wedding pictures next summer!! So I went to a consultation (which was also a 2 hour appointment if the Dr. did see me fit for braces again). Turns out, I am a candidate to have my underbite corrected without jaw surgery. I had impressions plus my upper and lower braces put on that same day! (It's a two hour trip to go to the main office, otherwise they come to the next city over to where I live once a month for everyone's adjustments)

It's now November and I've had them on now for 2 months. My teeth are still straight from faithfully wearing my retainers, so the work is mainly on shifting my lower teeth over to the right side of my mouth. I am wearing 5/16 elastics from the lower front to the upper back, and may need a lower right canine pulled in the future if there is too much crowding.

He also noted to me that my "underbite" is possibly from over crowding and my lower teeth protruding out of the bone because the permanent retainer was holding them in the position for all those years. He calls it a "Class 3" though. I'm not sure if it is skeletal or just a tooth like underbite. Theres only millimeters between my lower and upper, so I don't have an extreme case thankfully.

Here are some before pictures and pictures from my first adjustment after I got my braces on:

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/whd0zd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/1t3k20.jpg[/IMG]

Here is pictures as of today. I have a bad canker sore so its hard to smile :(

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/23jlfyx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2jcx8w1.jpg[/IMG]

Not sure if they will show since this is my first post, but I will figure it out! I don't have a chin that juts out, I think it's even with my nose.

One FINAL thing, which is also a question, I am curious about other people who have or have had underbites. Did braces/elastics correct your underbite, or was it skeletal had had to be corrected with surgery. ALSO, anyone that has had their braces off, has the correction stayed, or has the underbite came back? I am scared that if this ordeal does show results, a couple years down the line my underbite could come back. I am curious to see how my teeth will turn out, scared that this second time may not work, (even though the Dr. is confident...like he says!) and excited to have a beautiful, as normal as it can get bite with my future teeth! :) I will post more soon :) Please feel free to ask questions and answer mine!!!! Thank you -Alix

Jessesgirl09

Re: Underbite with Braces

#2 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

If you delete the [IMG] and [/IMG] from around the links, you can see the pictures. Sorry I'm not tech savy yet lol. I think I need several posts to become a member before they show up? Or I'm using the wrong links? I used TinyPic and the forum link option.

Bikerchick85

#3 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Wow your teeth are really straight still :) Your underbite isn't very bad. I agree you'll probably have a great result from braces alone. Welcome to the forum! When you mentioned getting a canine pulled, did you mean extracted? If so, that's a strange tooth to pull.... Maybe they could remove a lower central incisor instead? When you are a full member, there are pictures of members on this forum that have had a lower incisor pulled to alleviate crowding and had great results. Other than not having a "midline" which no one notices anyway. :) Good luck with your treatment!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Jessesgirl09

#4 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Thank you Bikerchick85 :) No it's not too bad. It has lead to my jaw locking up occasionally and clenching. I'm hoping that the braces will do the trick. I'm curious though to how they will get my bottoms behind my upper teeth using elastics? And the power chain. Unless the teeth are shifting and not my actual jaw, (the teeth still seem to be jutting out yet in the front) because the way my jaw is placed I can't pull my jaw behind my top teeth, but I can stick it pretty far out if that makes sense. The elastics are somewhat holding my jaw in a position that's made my bite off. I bite down and my right side molars come together leaving my left side completely gapped unless I bite harder and my jaw shifts to the left. I hope that will correct!

Woops, it probably isn't a canine, it's like the second or third tooth behind it he wants out. It's still a point tooth though! :P

The only think I'm concerned about besides getting the teeth moved where they're supposed to be is after I get de-banded. I'm afraid that my underbite will come back after a few years, and if I do get a tooth pulled, it will make a huge gap! I don't want to invest more $ than has had to have been! But I'm sure retainers will keep things in place? But nothing's probably permanent except surgery =/

Bikerchick85

#5 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I'm anxious to see what your ortho does. :) The tooth you're referring to is probably a bicuspid.. I had 4 of mine extracted. My gaps on top are closed and my lower gaps are almost closed. I've been in braces for 11 months. I had an overbite and major crowding. (This is my third time in braces! YUCK! LoL) There's lots of info on the internet about non-surgical correction of minor underbites. If you do have to get a tooth pulled, the gap will be closed with braces. Pretty simple to close gaps, just takes time! Keep us updated!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

kpw818

#6 Post by kpw818 »

Braces will not fix my underbite; I'm a skeletal Class III and have been told so since I was fairly young. Every dentist and orthodontist I've been to has mentioned the skeletal nature of my issue, so I think they would tell you if you needed surgery. Your teeth look really straight, and the bite doesn't look too bad. Looking at your profile, it looks more like a teeth issue (not a professional opinion of course :) ). My bite has transformed into more of an open/cross bite, but I have the maxilla deficiency and more prominent lower jaw of a typical skeletal class III case.

I believe my sister in law was classified as class III non skeletal and was corrected with braces and elastics. She got her braces off several years ago, and has had no regression/great bite since.

I hope that helps some! I'm definitely interested in non-surgical underbite cases, because the surgery freaks me out. I considered not going that route, but they will just tip my teeth to compensate (and I'll still have breathing probs).

Jessesgirl09

#7 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Thank you! I will keep you updated for sure! :) I'm five days behind now wearing my elastics :( I had the worse canker sore EVER! An it was right in like with the elastic on my left side.

I'm sorry about your class III kpw818 :( and I know how you feel! It's a scary thought, but from all of the stories I have read, all of them have been positive and life changing experiences for the better! I think if mine had been more severe and I hand the extra funds to afford it I would! But of course I would make sure to find the best surgeon around. But it's definitely a huge decision.

I also appreciate the reference of your sister in law. That's what I'm the most worried about is the recession. I wish you the best of luck though in your journey! Maybe there is an orthodontist that can help without surgery! :)

Jessesgirl09

#8 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

I go back for my next adjustment on the 10th. I missed the first 5 days because of a bad canker sore that was right in line with my elastic. I've been wearing them about 22 hours a day except for an extra hour I forget to put them back in! I'm not sure if I have seen improvement. I noticed the power chain has closed gaps with the lower front teeth, but left a tooth crooked. Cosmetically it bugs me! I think the underjet though has straightened. My Mom's friend told me my facial profile had changed with surprised me!! When I rub my tongue on my teeth they feel more upright if that makes sense.

I'm not sure though the elastics have made an difference. I'm still biting down first on my right molars, but I did notice that my teeth show a difference that they have a less of an underbite when I wake up, but during the coarse of the day the underbite isn't as closed. They hurt really bad the other day too out of nowhere.

How long does it take for elastics to work?? I think when I go back they said they were going to try a smaller size if these didn't give me headaches. They haven't phew. I can't wait to see more improvement.

Jessesgirl09

#9 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

No improvement yet..... The gap in the front seemed to be closing, but I feel like it's opened a tad, but I'm probably just seeing things. I go back on January 14th. I think then I will have a tooth pulled. :( But if that's what needs to be done! Happy New Years to everyone! Hopefully it brings great improvement to all of our pretty smiles!

Jessesgirl09

#10 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

I posted this on a different forum, but I thought I should update! I will post pictures here soon as well when I feel better :) Underbite be gone soon! Ripping out teeth is no fun that's for sure!! But I forgot to add though that the Dentist said That God was on my side today because she said I was one of the easiest tooth pullings she has ever had. Which was reassuring for me. Phew! She's a sweetheart. :3

Well, this morning at 11 I went in and had my bicuspid taken out! It was the lower right 28th right behind the canine tooth. I asked for some calming pills so they prescribed me two, 1mg generic Xanax. I took one a hour before and only helped me feel a little out of it. I didn't end up taking the other. I was super panicked today because I could only think the worst! :(

Anyway, I got there and they took me back. My poor fiancé waited in the waiting room. At that point I was still pretty panicked but the pill kept me a little off. My dentist explained she would go slow and explain the process each step she took. First, the assistant took off my elastics and wire, then she gave the laughing gas (helped me relax a bit more but was not laughing that's for sure!) and then three shots along my my outer gum line and one of them was inside the gum line. The dentist popped off the bracket gave me a bite block too because I was so nervous my teeth started to clatter. After about 15 minutes of waiting, she came back in with her assistant and was like "Okay! I'm going to take it slow to make sure you are numb all the way" and started tapping my gums to see if of felt any pain besides pressure. Then, she told me she'd start to wiggle my tooth for about 45 seconds and give me a break. She literally wiggled that sucker like 5 or 10 seconds and it was out!!! Couldn't even feel or hear anything. Not even any pressure!! It was the easiest thing ever and I cried because I was so surprised. After that, she put gauze and my wire with some ugly white elastics back on and Hunny led my groggy self out to the car.

Now for recovery, when I first got home after picking up my pain pills (Ibuprofen 800 mg) I started to freak out. I had to change the gauze because of course it was bloody, but she had put under the wire and by then it had expanded double its size and I couldn't get it out! I almost passed out from looking at the blood. I finally got it out and eventually it stopped bleeding.... From like 11:30 til 3 it did bleed. It's 8pm now and I'm doing fine. Just some mild discomfort but I think majority is from the shot areas. Numbing has wore off and just a little swelling.. I had a nutrition drink and some soft foods. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to salt water rinse lightly because I don't want to disturb the clot. I still find a little blood around my gums.

But! Good news is that there is a big ol' gross gap now to fill and officially be on my way to ending this underbite. I will post pictures of before and after once the area isn't so gorey hehe. I appreciate all the advice!!! :heart: -Alix
Second round of braces. 2007-2009 and again in August 2013.

samoorelaw

#11 Post by samoorelaw »

I have an underbite and Class III malocclusion, which is a skeletal issue requiring surgery: my upper jaw is deficient so they have to expand it and then move it forward approximately 4 mm. I just had my pre-op appointment today and my surgery is in exactly one week!
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Jessesgirl09

#12 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Wow! Best of luck with your procedure! It will fly by so quick and you'll have that awesome new smile! Enjoy all your favorite foods and take calcium to promote healing! :D

I'm sure I need surgery as well (as the first ortho pushed), pulling a tooth isn't a fix all, but my underbite is only like 2 mm farther out compared to my top teeth.... Its almost more of an open bite now! I'm curious to see how they will close up such a large hole, but then again my midline is off by literally a whole tooth.. I'm too scared for surgery (I barely got the tooth pulled!) and insurance would never cover. I'm just hoping my teeth will turn out positive!

samoorelaw

#13 Post by samoorelaw »

Jessesgirl09 wrote:Wow! Best of luck with your procedure! It will fly by so quick and you'll have that awesome new smile! Enjoy all your favorite foods and take calcium to promote healing! :D

I'm sure I need surgery as well (as the first ortho pushed), pulling a tooth isn't a fix all, but my underbite is only like 2 mm farther out compared to my top teeth.... Its almost more of an open bite now! I'm curious to see how they will close up such a large hole, but then again my midline is off by literally a whole tooth.. I'm too scared for surgery (I barely got the tooth pulled!) and insurance would never cover. I'm just hoping my teeth will turn out positive!
Thank you so much! With only 2 mm, maybe you will be able to avoid surgery. I was told my underbite is not that bad or average, and they have to move my upper jaw forward 4 mm. I'm terrified of the surgery, too, but there is no way around my needing it: I went to two oral surgeons and two orthodongists, and they all, including my general dentist, say I need the surgery.

I'm sure your orthodongist knows what he's doing. Sometimes those braces aka medieval torture devices can seem to perform magic so your needing surgery may or may not be inevitable.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Jessesgirl09

#14 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Here is my gappy!

It's been little over a week and it is almost healed. The office lady told me to put my elastics back in as soon as possible after I stop having pain..... I never really had any pain from the extraction hole which was nice. I think the numbing needle areas in my gums hurt worse!

The hole is almost healed, just a small hole at the top left to go. Does anyone think it's okay now to wear my elastics? I know the office lady said it was okay :P Just kinda scared. I put them in now. The right side where the tooth was pulled feels slightly uncomfortable on the lower jawline and goes back towards the the bottom of my ear.

I feel like there's a weak sport where the gap is, but I'm sure that's just my mind playing games :P

I have one more question, how long does it take for a gap to close? Will elastics help the progress? I have l more photos to share soon but they aren't on my phone :)

Jessesgirl09

#15 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Little update, I've been wearing my elastics as much as I can remember (it's hard to get back in the swing after I didn't wear them after my tooth being pulled) and always at night! They hurt like a bugger, but things must have moved because they are comfortable now.

The pictures above are a little bit of progress! Top picture is from like two months ago? This morning I woke up and was surprised to see. My cap from the missing tooth has closed a bit as well. I have an appointment with the orthodontist this Tuesday. I'm hoping that I will be on the way to having my tiny bit of underbite gone! It's so close!!!! I don't know how long it takes to close a big tooth gap? I know those evil powerchains will do the trick, agh.

It's been a big confidence booster not looking in the mirror and seeing such a big, puffy lower lip, even though the braces still make it stick out a bit. My molars are still way off from being aligned but he said that will be fixed when they add an extra bracket on the farthest molar (He doesn't use te big metal bands around the molars). Alignment and crooky teeth seem to be way worse on the right side. Grr!

I will post after my appt! :)