Really Considering Orthodontics Again

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

troponin2012

Really Considering Orthodontics Again

#1 Post by troponin2012 »

I've really been considering getting orthodontics again the last few years. I had braces twice growing up but now in my late 20's, my teeth are definitely something I am very self conscious about. I still wear my retainers to bed every night!

I recently switched dentists, and the first thing he recommended was I get my wisdom teeth out even though they don't bother me. When I asked him when I should get them out, he responded, "A decade ago." Keeping my wisdom teeth as long as I did may have contributed to my teeth getting all out of whack according to my dentist. I talked to him about my orthodontics and he recommended getting the wisdom teeth out, letting my teeth settle a bit and then going from there which I'm fine with. This approach makes sense to me.

As far as my teeth go, they actually seem "relatively straight." I do have a major overbite (I think this is what it's called). When I bite down my upper incisors cover at least 3/4 of my lower central incisors. Also when I bite down, I can only feel the teeth from my left lateral incisor back to my left molars touch. Beside my left lateral incisor, none of my front teeth touch anywhere (overjet?). My right molars slightly touch, but I have to physically shift my lower jaw to the right to make them touch and then I can't feel my left molars. This imbalance also makes me grind me teeth often because things just feel off. The only way I can get my back teeth to kind of touch is by physically sliding my lower jaw back which is extremely uncomfortable! I really feel like I'm damaging my teeth because of this! My midline is also off as well and I've developed gaps on each side of my left canine. As much as I hate to say it, I absolutely hate my smile because it's so unstraight, especially when I am next to people who had great results from orthodontics. I rarely smile in photos anymore because of it! I often compare my smile shape to the "~" symbol cause it has curves in it like that, which look bad next to straight smiles in photos.

Do you guys think waiting until my next teeth cleaning which will be in a few months, basically when my teeth will "settle" from wisdom teeth removal is good enough? Or should I just go ahead and schedule an appointment with an orthodontist? I kind of wanted a recommendation from my dentist on who to go to. I know my previous orthodontist is one of the best in the area, but I saw him a few years back about my wisdom teeth and all he did was stick a mirror in my mouth for a fraction of a second, wanted to BS about my life since I last saw him, and refused to really do anything dental. My mom had great results from him when she adult orthodontics a few years back and all my friends who went through him had great results. My teeth were actually pretty good when I finished my treatment but they got pretty bad over the years since despite wearing my retainer almost every night.

Sorry for the length and any grammatical/spelling errors. I kind of rushed this post!

Chicken

Re: Really Considering Orthodontics Again

#2 Post by Chicken »

Hi and welcome, maybe you could get two or three consults with differentoorthodontist and way up what each one has to say. Good luck.

Stef

#3 Post by Stef »

Do the other orthodontist in your area offer free consults? If so, I would go see what they have to think as well. I'm sure your dentist is right, I also had to have mine out. It's worth a shot.

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

I had mine out too at age 42 (but they didn't start coming in till I was 27). My dentist said I should have had them out 10 years ago or as soon as they came in! I went ahead - no problems even though one was a surgical extraction - and got braces 3 months later. I also had a deep bite (overbite) which gradually got worse throughout my 30s and had started to cause TMJ problems over the past 5-6 years. My jaw totally locking up was the final straw for me.
My advice would be to go ahead and get them. Your dentist is more than likely right but it may be worth going ahead and getting a few consultations if they are free or don't cost much.

bracesagain2

#5 Post by bracesagain2 »

Hi - I think if it's not bothering you a lot, just wait the few months while your teeth settle.

But if bothers you a lot, then I would start looking around for some orthos. Maybe just ask your dentist for the referral now so you can start interviewing them and going in for consults.

From my own experience - I had braces as a teenager. Then my teeth developed into a crossbite. I went many years going back and forth wondering if I should get the braces. It did get so bad that I would bite myself whenever I ate certain foods. And my dentist also said my crossbite could get worse.

So in the end, I decided to go for it. I couldn't believe I got braces as an adult. Well almost 3 yrs. later, they are coming off. My crossbite is fixed, my ortho also corrected my bite. I am happy with the result.

It's amazing how fast the time does go by. I wish you all the best whatever you decide. This board was and is a great place of support as I came here quite often with questions and concerns.

troponin2012

#6 Post by troponin2012 »

Thanks for the all the replies! I think right now I'm going to get the wisdom teeth extraction surgery scheduled, follow through with than and then see how my teeth respond. If I can wait, I'll just wait for my next dental appointment but if not, I'll get some recommended orthodontists in my area and see who I like. If I am a candidate for orthodontics again (which I'm certain I am), then I'll see who has the best treatment plan for me and expected results. I don't really have any reservations about surgeries or what not as long as I can get the best possible results.

Bracesagain2 - I guess you could add a crossbite to my list of issues. I tend to bite my cheeks more times than I'd like! I hate when they start bleeding! Always make me feel like I'm going to bite through the next time lol

troponin2012

#7 Post by troponin2012 »

I had my wisdom teeth taken out today. Pain is well controlled with Vicodin 5/500 mg 1-2 tabs po q4h prn pain. Worst part was the anesthesia hangover! Anyways it's only been 12 hours since my 4 wisdom teeth we're removed, but not biting down I can tell none of my back teeth now touch! The only tooth that touches is my front left central incisor. Seems more likely I'll be checking out orthodontists to see who I like. I think I'm going to talk to the oral surgeon about my teeth too and get an opinion too at my follow-up.

troponin2012

#8 Post by troponin2012 »

Should read, but NOW* biting down...

Matilda

#9 Post by Matilda »

troponin2012 wrote:I had my wisdom teeth taken out today.
How long did the removal take?