Wow... Bloody molar bands batman!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jtsang

Wow... Bloody molar bands batman!!

#1 Post by jtsang »

Man, the molar bands are doing a number in my cheeks!!! It's not painful but my cheeks looks tore up... Anyone has any suggestions to stop this? I have already seen ortho to smooth the edges but it's still doing this.. Again, it's not painful but it looks terrible!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bikerchick85

Re: Wow... Bloody molar bands batman!!

#2 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Ouchy! Are you sure its not the wire sticking out from the molar band that's causing the irritation? Have you tried putting a glob of wax back there to help your cheeks toughen up? To see if it's the wire sticking out, place your finger back there and see if it catches it like a needle would. If so, your wire needs trimmed.

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

jtsang

#3 Post by jtsang »

Bikerchick85 wrote:Ouchy! Are you sure its not the wire sticking out from the molar band that's causing the irritation? Have you tried putting a glob of wax back there to help your cheeks toughen up? To see if it's the wire sticking out, place your finger back there and see if it catches it like a needle would. If so, your wire needs trimmed.
Bikerchick, I just checked.. No wires poking.. The edges of the band is not sharp.. Maybe.... My bite is changing???? And.. Causing the brackets/molar bands to shift and cause this?? My molar bands been on for two weeks already.. Hmmmmm... <scratch head>

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

My space is really tight back there, and every time there's the least little shift (new wire, new Rx for rubber bands, archwire bends, whatever), the rear of my cheeks get annoyed.

There's no real solution other than wax during the day and soothing mouth rinses at bedtime (you can use those during the day too.) Your cheeks will toughen up; it just takes a little bit of time.

I generic Gly-Oxide rinse (to clean the wound) and Rincinol (a protectant); some people just use warm salt-water rinses... You may also want to consider OraGel or similar product if the pain gets to be a bit much.

oldfart

#5 Post by oldfart »

I was given something by that contains two tubes, when they are mixed it creates a silicon substance stronger than wax.

The name is filtered on this site.. its Called Gee nope Gee oo..

(subtract the ees and the space and you will have the name)

Works good. Costs like $5 a tube but for emergencies its good.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Bikerchick85

#6 Post by Bikerchick85 »

oldfart wrote:I was given something by that contains two tubes, when they are mixed it creates a silicon substance stronger than wax.

The name is filtered on this site.. its Called Gee nope Gee oo..

(subtract the ees and the space and you will have the name)

Works good. Costs like $5 a tube but for emergencies its good.

of
I second that Oldfart! That stuff is the bomb!! I wish Lynn would carry that on her online store!!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

oldfart

#7 Post by oldfart »

I had to use it when my teen broke a band in half eating an almond and the whole edge was sticking out. I dont use it often, but when I do, it works great Hate the bubblegum taste though.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

Even when I was a kid, I couldn't stand sickly-sweet fruit or bubblegum-flavored dental products. Mint or Cinnamon is the only way to fly...