molar buildups

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

msw

molar buildups

#1 Post by msw »

So I've decided that I actually LIKE having these molar buildups. One of the reasons I'm in braces is to correct a 60 percent deep bite (overbite), and these buildups really take the pressure off my bottom front teeth. It's great being able to rest my jaw without the discomfort of having my top front teeth bear down so much on the bottom ones, which was a big problem pre-braces. :thumbsup:

drgnchsr36

Re: molar buildups

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

wow!! I think you're the first person I know that liked them :) I hated them!! Until the day I got them removed.. after awhile you get used to them, but I still could not wait until they were gone.

Hope your time in braces goes by fast!

kids041

#3 Post by kids041 »

msw wrote:So I've decided that I actually LIKE having these molar buildups. One of the reasons I'm in braces is to correct a 60 percent deep bite (overbite), and these buildups really take the pressure off my bottom front teeth. It's great being able to rest my jaw without the discomfort of having my top front teeth bear down so much on the bottom ones, which was a big problem pre-braces. :thumbsup:
I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I love how they DO keep me from hitting my lower teeth (I too have a deep bite- the reason for my braces), but I also clench/grind my teeth, so I am constantly wearing down the buildups! For the first 2 months I kept going back and having them re-built up. Now I just gave up! They are totally worn down, with grooves where I bite. I am almost biting the brackets in the front, but until I actually hit them (I did this the last time during the first 2 months of having my braces), I am not going to go back and have them fixed! Takes so much time, and I feel like such a pain in the butt patient! :oops:

mapleleafman888

#4 Post by mapleleafman888 »

msw wrote:So I've decided that I actually LIKE having these molar buildups. One of the reasons I'm in braces is to correct a 60 percent deep bite (overbite), and these buildups really take the pressure off my bottom front teeth.
Much the same over here, my tmj compression has gone away and the headaches are no more because of these build-ups. Eating has become more challenging.
drgnchsr36 wrote:I love how they DO keep me from hitting my lower teeth (I too have a deep bite- the reason for my braces), but I also clench/grind my teeth, so I am constantly wearing down the buildups! For the first 2 months I kept going back and having them re-built up.
I experience this also, twice now they've been built up, and by 1 week later each time my front teeth hit the bottom brackets. Maybe on the 5th of Nov when I go in the ortho will actually build them up high enough to last until the next adjustment.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Hmm. Interesting. I found I actually clenched more with braces, never had that issue without them. I still do that with retainers. I never had an issue with my teeth hitting my brackets though. I had my top brackets on for a couple of months before I could even get my bottom braces on. The buildups pretty much prevented me from closing all the way. I tended to clench to want to bite down all the way.

Dirigible

#6 Post by Dirigible »

I also have these from day 1 and I can't say how it is without them on (they help me get my upper teeth out of a crossbite). I'm grinding my teeth on them constantly but they are still intact (on day 5).

But yes, eating is a huge challenge - tried to eat diced steak and popped off two! of my brackets without even trying... Now I stick to softer foods, at least until I rebuild my confidence to try a bit harder foods... But I suppose I'll be comfortable without these buildups in my mouth.