Update-adjustment-getting close...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

furious george

Update-adjustment-getting close...

#1 Post by furious george »

It's been a while since I poked my head in here...just got an adjustment today, the ortho said all she needs to do is crank my top teeth back a little more and I'll be ready to be debanded.

So I got a powerchain on the bottom, zinc string (?) on top with some figure eight things starting at my canines going back a tooth or two? And I'm taking a break from the rubber bands. I don't know how any of this is going to get me where I need to be, and still have stubborn gaps between my canines and lateral incisors (CURSES!!!!) but does she maybe need those in order to continue to pull back what remains of my overjet?

Anyway, my teeth look so different than they did when I started. It's subtle to people who didn't look closely and can't remember, but so major to me. My teeth are all one height, pointing in the same direction....my bottom teeth don't tilt in and the arch isn't concave...all of these little things make such a a huge difference.

Here are a couple of current pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Female, Age 37
Braced: 6/13/12
GAC In-Ovation C Top, Metal Bottom
Initial Estimated sentence: 12-14 months
SENTENCE EXTENDED: 18 months

MrsCharisma

Re: Update-adjustment-getting close...

#2 Post by MrsCharisma »

Those silly stubborn spaces!

Your teeth look really good. Like your smile looks so nice!

I'm not sure about the treatment plan changes...but I hope you get your results quickly. Can't wait to see your "debraced" smile!!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Lorianne

#3 Post by Lorianne »

What she said! :)

TMJJill

#4 Post by TMJJill »

Beautiful looking bite. Congrats in closing in on your debanding.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

ThroughTheWire

#5 Post by ThroughTheWire »

furious george wrote: and still have stubborn gaps between my canines and lateral incisors (CURSES!!!!) .
were your gaps bigger than what's pictured now? I'm curious as to how your ortho closed them/is closing them?

I have annoying gaps in the same places but my gap on the right is bigger than the gap on the left side. I really hate it because it makes me not want to smile in pictures because the gap on the right side is so visible.

furious george

#6 Post by furious george »

Believe it or not, they were MUCH bigger.

The doc did warn me that I have small lateral incisors and I might need to have them bonded so she may not close them all the way, but there is still way too much space there regardless, and I'd rather have them closed. I'm so sick of looking at those gaps. I asked her to put a wrench or vice in there, and all I got is a zinc string. :x

Anyway, although she told me to take a break for now, I started wearing elastics somewhere around last January (the galapagos tortoise ones). I think that's been the primary method...that and I've had either a powerchain or a zinc string across the top forever.

I don't really understand how orthodontics work though and that's the most frustrating part for me in all of this...not understand why they take the actions they take. And you can't just look this stuff up on the web like normal things you're curious about! Like right now I have a zinc string and those figure eight ties that go from the molar band to the canine. I really don't understand how any of that is supposed to help the overjet and reduce the gaps any further. I mean, the zinc string in theory, but it's clearly not enough for my stubborn gaps.

Has anyone had a closing loop archwire? My aunt (who works at an ortho) expressed some curiosity as to why they haven't given me one of those yet, and I forgot to ask..
Female, Age 37

furious george

#7 Post by furious george »

Interesting.

I just looked back at old pictures. I guess that gap was not THAT much bigger. My canines were really tilted and rotated, so it looks better but I don't think the gaps have improved that much at all.

Now I feel like crying.

Have I mentioned how much I HATE those gaps? I would take headgear at this point if it would close those horrible things.
Female, Age 37

ThroughTheWire

#8 Post by ThroughTheWire »

What's a closing loop arch wire? I think I may have that. The ortho told me this new annoying looking wire I have is suppose to close my spaces somehow but it's been on for almost 12 weeks and I haven't really seen any improvement so I'm getting a little frustrated.

The wire I have now is a bronze looking color and has a loop right where my spaces are on each side. My lip gets caught on it on the right side :/

I hate my gaps too. They look so crazy when I smile :cry:

AM21

#9 Post by AM21 »

Beautiful smile and bite! :D

I totally understand about gaps and spaces, waiting on my spaces and gaps to close and it's taking forever... So ready to be done!
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

furious george

#10 Post by furious george »

TTW, it does sound like you have a closing loop wire.

I'm jealous. I don't expect I'll get even the slightest change in the next month. These gaps need more than a darn zinc string. UGH.
Female, Age 37