Undoing Extractions - My progress so far, with pics!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angryhead

Undoing Extractions - My progress so far, with pics!

#1 Post by angryhead »

Hi guys! So years and years ago I had bicuspid extractions when I really shouldn't have. It messed with my whole face and I was really sad about it. Here is a before and after of my braces back then to give you an idea:

Before

After

At least for me, I see a huge difference. My jaw isn't as defined, my gum line is asymmetrical (my bastard otho somehow gave me a maxillary cant), my profile became dished in, my face thinner, and my chin more pronounced. I hated the result. I finally saved up the money to get braces again at the age of 24, and here is the progress so far!!! Sorry for the terrible photos, I used my webcam since I no longer have a phone w/ a camera >_<

Current

Firstly, sorry for the gross faded lipstick, haha. But yeah, the space where my bicuspid teeth were extracted has been reopened (just on the top - not the bottom - but it's fine because it will only create about 1 or 2mm of an overjet, which I don't mind), and I already see my old smile coming back!! It's a bit uneven at the moment because one space has opened up more than the other, but regardless, I'm so pleased. I have lip support again (if you refer to my previous pic you can see how my upper lip is so thin) my face is filling out, the asymmetry is fading, and my teeth aren't tilting in like a gerbil anymore (I prefer teeth that are a bit titled out, but that's just my personal preference). And this is the improvement I've found without them even being fully opened yet (I'm only at 4mm in one space, and around 2.5/3 mm in the other!)

I just wanted to give hope out there to anyone who is looking to undo extractions. Granted it's been hard, and with my current ortho it took a lot of cajoling (I'm pretty sure he secretly hates me as he's pretty conventional in his methodologies - I should have shopped around more, but I'm in the UK so choices are limted) but I'm so happy I've gone through the hassle. I hope it stays on course and I'll be sure to keep you all posted. Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions!

angryhead

Re: Undoing Extractions - My progress so far, with pics!

#2 Post by angryhead »

Here is a better before and after comparison :)

Lorianne

#3 Post by Lorianne »

angryhead wrote:Here is a better before and after comparison :)

OMG! You look awesome! Huge difference in your smile. It's gonna be stunning when you are all thru! Nice job and good for you for persevering!

angryhead

#4 Post by angryhead »

Thank you, that's so nice of you to say! I really appreciate it :D

Lorianne

#5 Post by Lorianne »

angryhead wrote:Thank you, that's so nice of you to say! I really appreciate it :D
no problem, it's true. What will you put in the spaces made? Crowns? Implants? What type of braces did you use?

angryhead

#6 Post by angryhead »

Lorianne wrote:
angryhead wrote:Thank you, that's so nice of you to say! I really appreciate it :D
no problem, it's true. What will you put in the spaces made? Crowns? Implants? What type of braces did you use?
They are ceramic self-ligating braces, I'm not sure what the exact name is of the company that makes them though! And I plan on getting implants where the spaces are (which will open up to be around 7mm) :)

PaisleyGrrl81

#7 Post by PaisleyGrrl81 »

Hi angryhead,

I was told at one consultation that I would need 4 extractions, and a 24 month treatment plan. The idea of extractions didn't sit right with me. I know my mouth is small, but letting go of 4 healthy teeth just didn't feel right. Upon further research, I decided that was definitely not the path for me. What you experienced is exactly what I read could happen. I ultimately had another consult, in which the ortho informed me that to remove any teeth in my small mouth would leave gaps larger than what he felt he could close properly with the braces. My treatment plan with him: 18 months, no extractions. I chose the 2nd ortho, and couldn't be happier. I wish you didn't have to go through it -- but we never know what the end result is going to be, and we trust the "professionals" to advise us properly. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course. I am so glad you're back on your way to the smile of your dreams. Good luck, and keep us posted! :P
Ortho Consult: 08/05/13
Braces On: 08/28/13
Sentence: 18 months
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =3&t=45283

coreym95

#8 Post by coreym95 »

Both of my ortho consults, and my oral surgeon consult (for sure getting my wisdom teeth out) said I would need 4 extractions. The first ortho wanted to do it before I got the braces and the second ortho said there was a small chance we could keep the teeth but more than likely getting them extracted. So we decided to put the braces on and see what happens. Well, 5 months in and still no extractions! My appointments are every 10 weeks so I should know by the next one in December if I need to get the teeth pulled.

Angryhead... your progress looks really good so far. It looks like your smile is going to widen by about a tooth on each side!

JumpTheDitch

#9 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hi Angryhead, I wondered how you reopened the spaces?

I've had a CD Advancer for the last 6 months to reopen upper second bicuspid extraction spaces; it's worked pretty well, my chiro and dentist are both really pleased with the amount of space opened up. My dentist hasn't been using it for all that long, she said previously she had to use reverse-pull headgear to get that kind of movement. Needless to say, I'm very grateful the CD Advancer was invented!

Woobster

#10 Post by Woobster »

I'm in the process of reversing a bicuspid a childhood bicuspid extraction as well. I'm only about 7 weeks in, but it's so nice to see your progress!

I'm a little self conscious of the spaces that are already starting to open up, but at least they let me know I'm on the right track.

My ortho isi planning on using bonding on the front 6 teeth to cover up the spaces when all is said and done.

Good luck to you!

JumpTheDitch

#11 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hey Woobster, how will your bonding work? Are you opening up spaces around all your front six so that the gaps will be evenly distributed across the front six, then bonding around all the edges to 'fill in' the gaps? What are you using to push the front six forward? Seems like there are quite a few different ways to 'undo' extractions...

Winkos

#12 Post by Winkos »

Your progress looks great! I see the difference already in your jawline from the pics.

Woobster

#13 Post by Woobster »

Hi Jump!

I'm not 100% sure how the bonding is going to work, honestly. I'll know in a few weeks when I got for my next adjustment because my ortho is going to bond my laterals (which are pretty small to begin with).

He's not using anything other than the archwire to space my teeth out. My front two teeth are actually wired together so that a space doesn't grown between them. He told me at my appointment last week that we should be able to get away with bonding just the laterals and the two teeth behind those... Not bonding the front two.

I'll be getting my bottom braces on next visit as well (a couple months ahead of schedule... WOO HOO!!). I don't know if he is going to start elastics that day as well, or wait a bit. I know they are in my very near future and I'm a little afraid of them.

SummerDec

#14 Post by SummerDec »

Hi angryhead, your pics look so inspiring! Your smile looks so much better now!:)

I am also trying to reopen the space right now even though my orthodontist is still not totally happy about this idea... I am wondering what did you use to reopen the space? (just braces or some appliance?) Thank you so much!

angryhead

#15 Post by angryhead »

hey there! sorry for the delayed response! to reopen my spaces he used springs :)