Brace confusion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anne123

Brace confusion

#1 Post by Anne123 »

Hi all!

My name is Anne and I got braces a few months ago. I wanted them for ages and I finally mustered the courage (and the money) to get them. A friend of mine recommended Damon clear braces and after lots of research I decided to go for them.

Now, my problem: I'm not sure whether my ortho gave me Damon braces. It says in my contract that I have them, and I paid extra for it. But I thought the Damon braces never made use of the ligatures (the little elastic band around each bracket) and my braces do have them. They stain constantly, which is driving my absolutely mental (I'm a tea fanatic).

I'm really happy with my orthodontist, he is very nice and very helpful. I decided to ask him, and described the type of braces my friend has (the Damon braces, that have the little doors that close over the wire), but he said she just had another type of Damon braces. Is this true?

I'm really confused now. Is there any type of Damon braces that make use of ligatures and don't have the little 'doors' that close over the arch wire?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anne

chichi

Re: Brace confusion

#2 Post by chichi »

Once you get to 7 posts, you can post a picture of your braces and someone would be able to tell you for sure whether you have "different" Damons or not. As far as I'm aware, there is no Damon bracket that uses ligs.

How long have you been in braces? Are you sure you don't have a powerchain? We'll all still need those at some point, Damons or not.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Anne123

#3 Post by Anne123 »

Hi Chichi,

Thanks for your fast response. I've had braces for about 2 months now, I feel a bit silly about not realising this earlier. They are definately not powerchains. The ligatures are not linked to each other, they are just around the bracket.

I'm really unsure what to do now. I really have the feeling I don't have Damon braces, but my ortho says I do...

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

Can you tell if your brackets have the little doors? Look closely and see if there's anything other than the ligs holding the wire in (the doors are generally in the center of the bracket so they wouldn't be covered by ligs).

I can't think of a reason you would have ligs with Damons unless he just wanted that wire to be VERY tight in those brackets... (I really have no idea)

Anne123

#5 Post by Anne123 »

Nope, there are definately no doors over the archwire. The only thing holding the arch wire in place are the ligatures. I've been Googling this and it seems my braces are of the Radiance Braces type.

I think I'm going to have to phone another orthodontist for a second opinion, to make sure I really don't have the Damon Braces. I just don't understand why my orthodontist would tell me I had Damon braces if I don't. And I don't want to bring it up again if I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks for your advice.

Anne

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

Anne123 wrote:I just don't understand why my orthodontist would tell me I had Damon braces if I don't.
Answer: $$$$ (or ££££)

Damons tend to cost a bit more... if he's getting you to pay the Damon price and giving you traditional brackets, he's making out on the deal.

Anne123

#7 Post by Anne123 »

I really don't hope that's the case, and that it's just a simple mistake... I would feel really cheated if they did this to me. All my savings have gone in to this, which I obviously chose to do, but I do want to get what I paid for, and more importantly, be able to trust my ortho.

chichi

#8 Post by chichi »

I would hope it's just a mistake as well, but the fact that he told you it's a different kind of Damon is a red flag (assuming you are wearing Radiance or some other non-self-ligating brackets).

I guess there's also the possibility that you're in traditional brackets, but he's using the Damon archwires (?)

As you said, it's a lot of money. I would, at least, want a better explanation than what he gave you.

Funtobeme

#9 Post by Funtobeme »

I agree with the other posters. Go get a second opinion at another ortho, it will bother you until you do. Keep all that paper work saying they are Damon braces. Also check the price at your first ortho while calling anonymous, just to see the price difference. If it is significant, and these are not what was given to you then demand a refund in that price. If they don't I suggest court action.

sirwired

#10 Post by sirwired »

Yeah; I don't get it. Radiance aren't even made by Ormco, the maker of Damons. There's no way you could stretch to calling Radiance "Damons with ligs". Although any bracket system can accommodate Damon archwires. I think Ormco might have a thing or two about an ortho saying you have "Damon braces" if you don't have their brackets.

JillD

#11 Post by JillD »

Also I wonder if you could take pictures of your braces and send them to Damon company to ask if they are truly Damon braces.

djspeece

#12 Post by djspeece »

http://www.damonbraces.com/questions/index.php
If you go to the Damon site and look at the FAQs, you'll find:

What materials are used in Damon metal braces?

Damon System metal braces are available in two materials, stainless steel or polycarbonate for exceptional strength and durability.

They describe the classic Damons that I think of as "Damon Clears" which might distinguish it from the ones that are metal. I suspect your ortho had specific reasons for applying the ones he did, but you deserve an answer. Hopefully just a miscommunication of some sort.

Best of luck.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Anne123

#13 Post by Anne123 »

Many thanks for all your help everyone.

I emailed a dentist helpline today and they also recommended to go get a second opinion from another orthodontist. Meanwhile I took another look at my treatment plan, which clearly says 'fixed orthodontic appliances using self-ligating Damon system (Damon clear brackets)'. So I've definately been promised the Damon brackets, not just the wires.

Hopefully a second orthodontist can shed some light on the issue.

Tlal23

#14 Post by Tlal23 »

Hope you get some answers and if they aren't damon a refund.

djspeece

#15 Post by djspeece »

Anne123 wrote:Many thanks for all your help everyone.

I emailed a dentist helpline today and they also recommended to go get a second opinion from another orthodontist. Meanwhile I took another look at my treatment plan, which clearly says 'fixed orthodontic appliances using self-ligating Damon system (Damon clear brackets)'. So I've definately been promised the Damon brackets, not just the wires.

Hopefully a second orthodontist can shed some light on the issue.
Wow it seems pretty clear something is amiss. I am not sure what is to be gained by a second opinion since you have it in black and white on a contract. I would be demanding an immediate explanation with the hint of a legal action. That is crazy.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying