25-year-old New to Orthodontics World

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nauna28

25-year-old New to Orthodontics World

#1 Post by nauna28 »

I'm new to this site, and am looking forward to learning everything I possibly can regarding orthodontics and orthognathic surgery.

When I was 9, I went to an orthodontist who informed my parents that I will likely need orthognathic surgery due to my ?large overjet ~10mm. My mom opted to not pursue treatment because she did not want her baby to have surgery.

Fast forward 16 years, here I am eagerly awaiting my first consultation with an orthodontist next Wednesday. I spoke with my general dentist who said that orthognathic surgery is probably a good route to take, but want to see what the orthodontist says.

I am not opposed to having orthognathic surgery as I figure if I'm going to try and fix my issues with my bite, I might as well go all or nothing. When I recently decided I'd like to pursue orthodontics for myself, the thought of surgery terrified me, but in reading blogs and watching youtube videos, it has lessened my fear.

Am I the only person who has never had braces before? I feel like a lot of the blogs I've read are people who had braces when younger and then decided to go on with surgery at an older age.

Any tips or information you can provide me are much appreciated.

samoorelaw

Re: 25-year-old New to Orthodontics World

#2 Post by samoorelaw »

You're not the only one: I first got braces at 31 last December, never had braces as a child. I too need orthognathic surgery to correct my underbite. My surgery will probably be scheduled for the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Last step is closing my 4 gaps on my lower teeth before the surgery models are ordered by the ortho: so frustrating that the gaps don't want to close!
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

MidnightBlue

#3 Post by MidnightBlue »

I wish you all the luck! I'm 25, too and just got braces and I never had them when I was younger either. I believe when I was younger my mom asked the dentist about the overbite/overjet and if I needed braces. He said no I didn't need them because when I'm older my teeth will grow in a wider position so the overbite or whatever will be gone. Well, guess what it never went away. I don't like my front teeth are protruding out and my two front teeth are more round shaped and small so it doesn't look like adult teeth, ugh. So hopefully braces will bring my bite back and my teeth would look more mature and even with the no overbite/overjet.

MidnightBlue

#4 Post by MidnightBlue »

I wasn't offered surgery though, which I am very glad because that is the last thing I want.

nauna28

#5 Post by nauna28 »

[quote="samoorelaw"]You're not the only one: I first got braces at 31 last December, never had braces as a child. I too need orthognathic surgery to correct my underbite. My surgery will probably be scheduled for the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Last step is closing my 4 gaps on my lower teeth before the surgery models are ordered by the ortho: so frustrating that the gaps don't want to close![/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad I'm not the only one who never had braces as a child. I hope that your gaps close and the surgery goes well! I can only imagine how hard it has been waiting since you're in the process already. I'm sure I'll feel the same once I have the braces on and know exactly what is recommended for me.

nauna28

#6 Post by nauna28 »

[quote="MidnightBlue"]I wish you all the luck! I'm 25, too and just got braces and I never had them when I was younger either. I believe when I was younger my mom asked the dentist about the overbite/overjet and if I needed braces. He said no I didn't need them because when I'm older my teeth will grow in a wider position so the overbite or whatever will be gone. Well, guess what it never went away. I don't like my front teeth are protruding out and my two front teeth are more round shaped and small so it doesn't look like adult teeth, ugh. So hopefully braces will bring my bite back and my teeth would look more mature and even with the no overbite/overjet.[/quote]

Thank you! I wish you luck too! It's too bad that what your dentist told you didn't ring true. I bet you'll look awesome once your teeth are straight and your bite is aligned properly. I'm sure if you don't like the look of your central incisors you can get veneers put on them. Good lucky with everything!!

chichi

#7 Post by chichi »

Welcome! I'm another one who never had braces as a child/teenager :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

nauna28

#8 Post by nauna28 »

[quote="chichi"]Welcome! I'm another one who never had braces as a child/teenager :)[/quote]

Thank you! :) I feel like I will definitely appreciate every thing more since I'm paying for it myself.

samoorelaw

#9 Post by samoorelaw »

nauna28 wrote:
samoorelaw wrote:You're not the only one: I first got braces at 31 last December, never had braces as a child. I too need orthognathic surgery to correct my underbite. My surgery will probably be scheduled for the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Last step is closing my 4 gaps on my lower teeth before the surgery models are ordered by the ortho: so frustrating that the gaps don't want to close!

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad I'm not the only one who never had braces as a child. I hope that your gaps close and the surgery goes well! I can only imagine how hard it has been waiting since you're in the process already. I'm sure I'll feel the same once I have the braces on and know exactly what is recommended for me.
Thank you! Who knows, maybe you and I will go through the surgery together. Good luck to you, too, and let us know what happens at the consultation! :)

nauna28

#10 Post by nauna28 »

Thanks! It sure will be interesting to see who my surgery buddies are :P
nauna28 <3

First Orthodontic Consult 18/09/13
Second Orthodontic Consult #2 02/10/13

sirwired

#11 Post by sirwired »

I'm also in round #2 for braces. Round #1 as a kid did a great job cosmetically (without extractions, no less, despite a comically narrow upper arch before it got expanded.)

Despite my fine cosmetic result, my upper and lower still didn't meet properly, leading to my teeth being tilted into a bite that looked cosmetically great, worked great, but was ultimately damaging to my bone, causing my bone and gums to recede.

I just got out of my LeFort I (upper) surgery a couple of weeks ago. Recovery is no fun, but I'm happy to finally have it out of the way.

Don't feel bad about your parents not choosing surgery; it's generally not done on kids anyway because further jaw growth could make for an unpredictable final result.

Good luck!

nauna28

#12 Post by nauna28 »

thanks sirwired!

yeah I'm kind of over the whole parents opting out of treatment. there's no point in being too bitter because it was 16 years ago and I'm in a place to be able to take care of business myself!

I hope that your recovery continues to go well!
nauna28 <3

First Orthodontic Consult 18/09/13
Second Orthodontic Consult #2 02/10/13

samoorelaw

#13 Post by samoorelaw »

sirwired wrote:I'm also in round #2 for braces. Round #1 as a kid did a great job cosmetically (without extractions, no less, despite a comically narrow upper arch before it got expanded.)

Despite my fine cosmetic result, my upper and lower still didn't meet properly, leading to my teeth being tilted into a bite that looked cosmetically great, worked great, but was ultimately damaging to my bone, causing my bone and gums to recede.

I just got out of my LeFort I (upper) surgery a couple of weeks ago. Recovery is no fun, but I'm happy to finally have it out of the way.

Don't feel bad about your parents not choosing surgery; it's generally not done on kids anyway because further jaw growth could make for an unpredictable final result.

Good luck!
I also need LeFort I. Now I'm really nervous....hope your recovery gets better soon. Could you say what the hardest part of recovery has been? I"m trying to figure out how much time off of work I need: I'm betting on two weeks out of the office, but perhaps working from home the last week (working in bed). Not sure if that is even possible. How long will you have to be on liquids just with the upper jaw?

sirwired

#14 Post by sirwired »

Today is my first day back after surgery just about two weeks ago. Last week I was doing my e-mail, answering instant messages, etc., as my energy level and schedule allowed. (Up until a couple of days ago I wasn't sleeping well, so I was taking a nap almost every day.)

I was only on "full-liquid" for a couple days, as my lips, jaw, etc. couldn't handle opening my mouth enough at that point. After that, I've been on thick pureed and really soft foods; my discharge instructions state "nothing stiffer than scrambled eggs". (Today I may have "cheated" a little bit and eaten canned corned beef hash; as soft as they are, the potatoes in it were probably over the line for now; I was dying for something really savory. I'd kill for a slice of pizza right now.) My surgeon does not generally do heavy banding, so after the first couple of days, opening my mouth for a fork or spoon (mostly spoon) to eat (and brush teeth afterwards) hasn't been difficult.

That said, I'm still drinking a lot of milkshakes and smoothies. There's no better way to get in lots of sorely-needed calories with little effort. (My breakfast for the past few days has been Carnation Instant Breakfast made with whole milk and a banana tossed in.) Also important (and frankly not very tasty) is fiber. No way around that other than making sure some of the foods you eat are things like pureed beans and veggies. (One of my "go to" dishes has been beans and a link of savory sausage run through the food processor (a blender would require too much liquid.) The taste is ok, even if you can't do anything about the texture.)

Sugarfly

#15 Post by Sugarfly »

Hi

I'm 31 and totally new to all this too... Daunting isn't it?! I imagine there are a fair few of us total newbies so don't worry :)