Pain getting elastics changed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Roses

Pain getting elastics changed?

#1 Post by Roses »

When they fixed my bracket today they changed my elastics and the pressure on my teeth from pulling the elastic around each bracket was so painful! My teeth felt tender again and it is now 13 hours later and my teeth are still a little sore (though not anywhere near what it was like when I first had them on). I know it will all be worth it in the end but whenever I get pain I want to rip these things off with my bare hands and I think I've made a terrible mistake getting braces. When the pain is gone it's fine and braces aren't an issue at all as I actually don't mind (or I would go so for as to say I even like) how I look with braces. Anyone else feel that terrible frustration with the pain side of things?

JeniK

Re: Pain getting elastics changed?

#2 Post by JeniK »

I had my first adjustment yesterday. I asked if I would be getting a heavier wire...I was told no..the first wire has more work to do. She wanted to let me know that it will feel tighter again....because the new ligs ( elastics ) that are put in...are stronger. The ones they replace are stretched out...no longer as tight as when first put on. My teeth have felt tighter since. Right now I have a very sore molar. It hurt before...since braces...but it would come and go...right now it simply hurts. I would guess that you are feeling the tightness also...from the new ligs. And yes..they sure do pull when they are replacing them. So the soreness will not last.....I am not upset about it...it just means the wire and everything is doing it's job. That is why I wanted braces in the first place.

Roses

#3 Post by Roses »

JeniK wrote:I had my first adjustment yesterday. I asked if I would be getting a heavier wire...I was told no..the first wire has more work to do. She wanted to let me know that it will feel tighter again....because the new ligs ( elastics ) that are put in...are stronger. The ones they replace are stretched out...no longer as tight as when first put on. My teeth have felt tighter since. Right now I have a very sore molar. It hurt before...since braces...but it would come and go...right now it simply hurts. I would guess that you are feeling the tightness also...from the new ligs. And yes..they sure do pull when they are replacing them. So the soreness will not last.....I am not upset about it...it just means the wire and everything is doing it's job. That is why I wanted braces in the first place.
Yeah I just have to keep in mind that I wanted this and it would be more concerning if I felt nothing at all. Ibuprofen is my friend :mrgreen:

JeniK

#4 Post by JeniK »

Yep...my friend today also! Only wished it was working better :(

JohnsonSon

#5 Post by JohnsonSon »

I welcome the pain, with pain comes progress.

Having said that, my very first night with elastics I got about 2 hours of sleep. After 2-3 days, the pain went away completely.

Winkos

#6 Post by Winkos »

I just got elastics yesterday and the thickest wire on my lower teeth. I could not even eat a piece of cooked eggplant today!

pellepee

#7 Post by pellepee »

It could be from being "upgraded" a strength in something, but I notice I get two rounds of pain before my next appointment. Usually as soon as I leave the ortho my teeth hurt. It eventually goes away then a week out from my next appointment my teeth start to, what I call, "wake up" again and start hurting a bit once more. I find that if my ortho appointment coincides with that second waking, every pull and tug will kill!

Weird I know! But it's what we do lol! :)