Finally getting started with my treatment. So nervous!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lala81

Re: Finally getting started with my treatment. So nervous!

#16 Post by lala81 »

[quote="Featheryy1221"]lala81 I just realized I missed your post. :oops: Sorry about that. I was in the same boat as you; my family could never afford braces when I was younger, so I'm thankful to get them on now. I bet you are SO excited to get them on! Good luck on Thursday and with your treatment! :D[/quote]

No worries!! I am new to this message board thingy so I am feeling my way and also missing posts here and there. Ooops.

Featheryy1221, can I say with my years of wisdom (funny since I had all my wisdom teeth removed in April!), at 21 you are making a very very brave decision. It took me a full 10 more years to gain the courage and confidence to look into treatment plans, and I often wonder if those 10 years (from age 21-31) could have been a very different experience for me had I gotten treatment earlier. Silly me.

Go for it. Good luck! My big day is tomorrow. I have gorged on corn chips, crusty bread, chewy lollies etc etc etc. Eggs and soup from now on!

djspeece

#17 Post by djspeece »

Congratulations on taking the plunge!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kathydell

#18 Post by kathydell »

As time passes, you will adjust really quickly and eat almost anything you want again. I'm 5 months in and I can eat anything other than what's on the no-no list. I can easily eat steak and even kettle cooked chips. I've even gone back to tortilla chips although I'm really careful and break them into smaller pieces and I know I can't do it for about a week after an adjustment. I don't eat a whole lot of them because I don't want to break a bracket but I can eat a small handful now and then. You don't have to deprive yourself of all you love for very long. We humans are very adaptable and we figure it out.

samoorelaw

#19 Post by samoorelaw »

I'm just shy of 9 months in and I eat anything I want other than raw veggies, even foods on the naughty list (popcorn but rarely because a pain to clean braces, taco shells, long Italian bread on a sub, nuts, chew sugar-free gum, etc.). Haven't had one bracket break. So enjoy the foods you like although tread lightly at first: get comfortable with your braces before trying other foods.

Good luck to you!
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Featheryy1221

#20 Post by Featheryy1221 »

SunshineRay wrote:Your feelings are totally normal. I still dont like my braces sometimes but Im used to them now. I had an overjet the size of yours and hardly have any after 2 mos. That keeps me motivated! I am supposed to have them on for 12-18 mos but I always like to think it will only be 12 mos. Wishful thinking!
Good to know that my feelings are normal. :)
And that much change in only in two months? That's amazing! It's so weird how quickly teeth can shift. Hopefully yours will be on for only 12 months! Good luck!

Matilda wrote:Best of luck on your journey, Featheryy1221.
Thanks, Matilda! :)
lala81 wrote:Featheryy1221, can I say with my years of wisdom (funny since I had all my wisdom teeth removed in April!), at 21 you are making a very very brave decision. It took me a full 10 more years to gain the courage and confidence to look into treatment plans, and I often wonder if those 10 years (from age 21-31) could have been a very different experience for me had I gotten treatment earlier. Silly me.

Go for it. Good luck! My big day is tomorrow. I have gorged on corn chips, crusty bread, chewy lollies etc etc etc. Eggs and soup from now on!
haha. Thank you! It's a very brave decision for you to get braces as well. It's better late than never! :) It's funny that you mention wisdom teeth too, since I was just told today I have to get mine out. :x Not really happy about that.
Anyway, since I've been slacking on going on here lately, your brace date has already come and gone! So congrats! :D So exciting! Hopefully you're not in too much pain.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Featheryy1221

#21 Post by Featheryy1221 »

djspeece wrote:Congratulations on taking the plunge!
Thank you, djspeece! :)
kathydell wrote:As time passes, you will adjust really quickly and eat almost anything you want again. I'm 5 months in and I can eat anything other than what's on the no-no list. I can easily eat steak and even kettle cooked chips. I've even gone back to tortilla chips although I'm really careful and break them into smaller pieces and I know I can't do it for about a week after an adjustment. I don't eat a whole lot of them because I don't want to break a bracket but I can eat a small handful now and then. You don't have to deprive yourself of all you love for very long. We humans are very adaptable and we figure it out.
samoorelaw wrote:I'm just shy of 9 months in and I eat anything I want other than raw veggies, even foods on the naughty list (popcorn but rarely because a pain to clean braces, taco shells, long Italian bread on a sub, nuts, chew sugar-free gum, etc.). Haven't had one bracket break. So enjoy the foods you like although tread lightly at first: get comfortable with your braces before trying other foods.

Good luck to you!
I'll have to see. My ortho told me I absolutely CAN'T cheat on the no-no list because I have mottled enamel. Which means my braces might not stick as well, so it will be easier for me to break brackets than most people. My sister had the same problem. So annoying.
Thanks though guys! I'll be fine.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months