Finally getting started with my treatment. So nervous!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Featheryy1221

Finally getting started with my treatment. So nervous!

#1 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Hello everyone! :) So I decided to join this site seeing as I don't know any other adults with braces. All of my friends got their braces on when they were 13ish-16ish, so I'm kind of alone in this. :/ I wanted braces since I was around 8 years old (I'm 21 now). I've never been happy with my smile and it definitely has made my self esteem really low. I have an overjet (10mm apparently), crossbite, midlines are a bit off, and I have a small mouth (one ortho I went to said I have size 12 teeth in a size 6 mouth).

Anyway, after a few consultations, a lot of research, and lots of pros and cons lists, I decided on an ortho whose plan is to do no extractions, and have me wear an expander for six months and hope it works properly. If it doesn't he said I will need jaw surgery, which I don't want to do. Then after those six months or so, I will get my braces on for about a year. :) Yay! ...Sort of. lol. I'm excited about all this, but I'm also REALLY nervous now. I keep thinking how I'm going to sound weird with an expander on, and how I'm going to look even younger than I already look when I get braces on. And most importantly I'm worrying if this process will work! I keep thinking maybe I should have gone a different route. Each of the orthodontists I went to had a completely different plan for me.

I didn't feel this way, until after I got my spacers put on five days ago. On the second day I was really was starting to regret this whole thing. I kept thinking, "I'm going to look so stupid," "What if his plan doesn't work?" "I really just want some chips and everything else crunchy." lol. Has anyone else felt like that? This feeling passes, right?

I know I'll be so happy when I get my braces off, and I will have SO much more confidence. I guess it's just hard seeing people eat delicious food and I'm stuck with eggs, and soup. lol.

kids041

Re: Finally getting started with my treatment. So nervous!

#2 Post by kids041 »

Don't look at it as being deprived of certain foods, look at it as gaining a great new smile :)

Woobster

#3 Post by Woobster »

I'm 34 (2nd time around for me) I get my braces put on this Wednesday. Believe me...Yyou are not the only one with all those quesitons running through your mind right now. As my brace date gets closer, the more nervous and hesitant I become.

It will be a long road, especially with the surgery you have to undergo. But think of it this way... When you're my age, you will be SO glad that this was taken care of and you can enjoy your beautiful smile!

I wish you all the best with you treatment!

Featheryy1221

#4 Post by Featheryy1221 »

[quote="kids041"]Don't look at it as being deprived of certain foods, look at it as gaining a great new smile :)[/quote]
I know. I keep reminding myself that. :) It's definitely going to be worth it in the end, it's just kind of difficult when you go to the store and you see all the things you can no longer eat. haha. :) I'll get used to it.

Featheryy1221

#5 Post by Featheryy1221 »

[quote="Woobster"]I'm 34 (2nd time around for me) I get my braces put on this Wednesday. Believe me...Yyou are not the only one with all those quesitons running through your mind right now. As my brace date gets closer, the more nervous and hesitant I become.

It will be a long road, especially with the surgery you have to undergo. But think of it this way... When you're my age, you will be SO glad that this was taken care of and you can enjoy your beautiful smile!

I wish you all the best with you treatment![/quote]

Thank you! I wish you the best with your treatment as well! :) Good luck on Wednesday! I'm sure everything will go great!

As for the surgery bit, if I get told I have to go through that, I'm probably switching orthodontists. One of the other orthodontists said he'd have no trouble fixing my teeth with damon braces, I'd just have to loose a lower incisor tooth. I'm hoping the expander works though. I've seen cases where it has worked, and my orthodontist has had success with expanders on adults. Fingers crossed that it works out.

Featheryy1221

#6 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Oh and because I can't edit my first post, I'd just like to put here that my bite was classified as a class 1. My back bite is good, but they measured the distance from my bottom front teeth to my top front teeth and that distance is 10 mm. If that makes any sense. I don't really know the technical term for that. I thought the term was overjet, but maybe it's not. Sorry! :/

lala81

#7 Post by lala81 »

Hi!
I am getting my braces on on Thursday. Have needed them since I was a kid, but our family's financial situation meant it never happened. I am full of emotions about it, but mostly very excited.

I wish you all the best, and look forward to hearing how you're going.
Angela

klobird

#8 Post by klobird »

I got my braces at 55 and got them off in April--at 57...ya, it was hard at times--BUT DON'T GIVE UP!!
It was the BEST decision of my life. NOT KIDDING!. I have gotten so many compliments. I was taken back with the first compliment--I didn't know they were talking about MY teeth!!

IT IS WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF QUESTIONING WHY YOU DID THIS!!

JeniK

#9 Post by JeniK »

I am 55...and I love my braces! I am so happy this is finally happening !! I am so looking forward to having the smile I have always wanted!!

klobird...I could not agree with you more !!

Featheryy1221

#10 Post by Featheryy1221 »

klobird, that's awesome! :) I bet you are SO happy to be done. I can't even imagine how it would be to actually get people complimenting my teeth. I'm glad I'm not alone in that it's hard sometimes, though it seems like it gets a lot better, and the end result is a big motivator.

I know I won't be giving up on this; I've been wanting this for years and I know it will be a HUGE confidence booster. I'm so self conscious about my smile currently. So I cannot wait for the day when I can finally show off my new smile. :)

JeniK, how long do you have to wear your braces for? And congrats on getting them on! :) I'm excited to get my braces on; I want these next six months to go by faster!

JeniK

#11 Post by JeniK »

Featheryy1221.. I was quoted 24 months. So IF that is how it works out....I will be brace free before my 57th birthday! Fingers are crossed.. :)

Featheryy1221

#12 Post by Featheryy1221 »

JeniK, Good luck! I hope it works out for you! :) Or that you get them off before then.

Featheryy1221

#13 Post by Featheryy1221 »

lala81 I just realized I missed your post. :oops: Sorry about that. I was in the same boat as you; my family could never afford braces when I was younger, so I'm thankful to get them on now. I bet you are SO excited to get them on! Good luck on Thursday and with your treatment! :D

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

SunshineRay

#14 Post by SunshineRay »

Your feelings are totally normal. I still dont like my braces sometimes but Im used to them now. I had an overjet the size of yours and hardly have any after 2 mos. That keeps me motivated! I am supposed to have them on for 12-18 mos but I always like to think it will only be 12 mos. Wishful thinking!

Matilda

#15 Post by Matilda »

Best of luck on your journey, Featheryy1221.