My Braces Story (Bimaxillary Protrusion, Lip Incompetence)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

orchid04

My Braces Story (Bimaxillary Protrusion, Lip Incompetence)

#1 Post by orchid04 »

Hi Everyone,

I am 23 years old and decided to get braces because my parents couldn't afford it when I was younger and my teeth have been something that I have always been self-conscious about. My teeth weren't in real bad shape. Nevertheless, I always felt as though I had too many teeth because it was hard for me to close my mouth (some professionals refer to this as lip incompetence) and I also had buck teeth that were crooked (what I like to refer to as hillbilly teeth).

In the beginning, I was extremely self-conscious. It is kind of hard dealing with braces at my age. Sometimes I still feel this way. However, I know I am doing this for the ultimate result of improving my self-confidence; and, I should not be ashamed of it.

I had extractions done. Although there is a lot of debate on extractions, I decided to because more than one orthodontist told me I had to because of a condition called bimaxillary protrusion, where the teeth protrude out leaving you with one with "undesirable" profile. At first, I was very hesitant to pull perfectly healthy teeth. Now, I understand why it was necessary and am happy with the decision.

I am currently 2 months into treatment.

joeyyeo

Re: My Braces Story (Bimaxillary Protrusion, Lip Incompetenc

#2 Post by joeyyeo »

Hey this sounds like my case! I had all my first premolars extracted, and am about 5 months into treatment :) my upper teeth have shifted back quite a bit and I can comfortably close my mouth now!
Upper braces off after 636 days!

orchid04

#3 Post by orchid04 »

Thanks for replying joeyyeo! I tried searching youtube and google for people going through the same thing and it was kind of hard to find anyone relatable. Glad to not be alone in this. haha

Are your gaps from the extractions closed? If so, how long did it take? I'm in the awkward stage of closing them now. I just want to know what to expect :)

joeyyeo

#4 Post by joeyyeo »

Yup same I couldn't find any either. My gaps are still in the midst of closing with the help of power chains. Since I got my lower brackets 6 weeks later than my top, they are way behind time! Just a tiny bit has shifted for my lower teeth but my uppers have retracted a whole lot! Except my left side seems to be responding better than my right so currently my midline is shifted towards the left... :( when I get home I'll post some pics of my teeth so you can see how big the gap is :) hang in there it'll all be over really soon!

Just curious, do you have a TPA? :)

joeyyeo

#5 Post by joeyyeo »

Since I can't seem to edit my previous post, here are some photos. The quality is really bad I'm sorry but hopefully you can see the gaps.
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

orchid04

#6 Post by orchid04 »

I HAVE THE SAME SITUATION! My right side is closing faster than my left side. Maybe it has to do with which side was extracted first? I don't know. Anyway what is a TPA? and I am unable to see your pictures. :( I am still very new to this message board. :sigh:

joeyyeo

#7 Post by joeyyeo »

Oh it's okay there's only 2 more posts! :D I can't remember which side was extracted first but if I remember correctly, it was the left! (Maybe it does matter after all). A TPA = Trans-palatal Arch, for me it's a metal bar connecting my 2 first molars so they are anchored and don't shift forward during the process of me retracting my front teeth :)

orchid04

#8 Post by orchid04 »

Sorry, it's been a long weekend. Anyway, no, I dont have a TPA and that is very interesting. I wonder why i don't have one. I have noticed some closing in my extractions. I started a blog. I only have one post but it includes pictures. bracedblog.tumblr

makaila

#9 Post by makaila »

Hi, I can relate; I also had bimaxillary protrusion and pulled all 4 premolars. I'm now 1.5 years into treatment

Dii23

#10 Post by Dii23 »

I have the same case like you both , I'm only 3 months in braces , no extraction yet , but I'm curious to see ur results :)

she2petite

#11 Post by she2petite »

getting my extractions in a few weeks. got my braces about 1 week ago. really excited, i have a bimaxillary protrusion as well.

ferh

Re: My Braces Story (Bimaxillary Protrusion, Lip Incompetence)

#12 Post by ferh »

Same condition and I had my extractions 7 days ago... I can feel my teeth being pulled and hurts sooooo bad in my case.