Braces didn't fix my overjet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

waterworld

Braces didn't fix my overjet

#1 Post by waterworld »

Hello,
I am 17 years old and going to be a senior in high school. I got my braces off at 13 after wearing them for two years to treat a bad overbite. However, recently I've noticed that I have an overjet. I kept wearing my retainers but judging from the way they fit together, this problem was there even when I got my braces off. The issue is that my overbite was fixed with elastics but the overjet wasn't so my teeth fit together in the back but still stick out in the front. When I bite down, my jaw feels to far back so it might be an alignment problem. I think my overjet is about 4mm from what I measured. How would one go about fixing an overjet, even when the back teeth fit together?

vegathestar

Re: Braces didn't fix my overjet

#2 Post by vegathestar »

Trust me, I have the same problem. My overjet is probably less than yours and I specifically went to the orthodontist to get braces for my pretty mild overjet. I had to get a tooth extracted for that. Fast forward, over 1 year later my overjet is still the same.

I realized that your upper arch are looking fine, they are not flaring out or anything. If I were you, I would not want to get braces for the second time to fix this as it might complicate things. Braces are torturous and in some cases, forcing upper arch back may cause TMJ when in fact the lower arch is too far back and should be brought forward.