Lose weight? Gain weight?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lorianne

Lose weight? Gain weight?

#1 Post by Lorianne »

Has anybody lost weight while wearing braces? What with all the eating issues with braces in general, I figure I won't be eating as much and will hopefully shed a few pounds in the process. I'm getting those build ups (ugh!) and I'm thinking I'll probably get sick of trying to eat and will naturally just eat less. I definitely want to make sure I get enough calories per day though.

Ciara

Re: Lose weight? Gain weight?

#2 Post by Ciara »

Yes, I've lost about 5kg. I initially lost about 3-4kg because I was eating much more slowly, and avoiding a lot of foods. I have kept this weight off not so much because of what I eat or how much I eat at meals now but I don't snack since I can't be bothered brushing my teeth so often.

Papa Joe

#3 Post by Papa Joe »

I really thought i'd lose weight when i got the braces, all the stuff i wouldn't be able to eat , probably did for the first few weeks. But after that I found i could eat everything , so i did , all the good and bad stuff, only thing i can't do is bite into a apple. So i put on weight , then i got back into the gym and cleaned my eating up . Down to about 90kg , lightest of been in 10 years , but no help from the braces.

isthistaken

#4 Post by isthistaken »

In about 3 months or so, I dropped about three sizes.

Lorianne

#5 Post by Lorianne »

Papa Joe wrote:I really thought i'd lose weight when i got the braces, all the stuff i wouldn't be able to eat , probably did for the first few weeks. But after that I found i could eat everything , so i did , all the good and bad stuff, only thing i can't do is bite into a apple. So i put on weight , then i got back into the gym and cleaned my eating up . Down to about 90kg , lightest of been in 10 years , but no help from the braces.
papa joe, did you have build ups on your teeth, or no? great that you got back to exercising and clean eating though! I'm already afraid of too much ice cream, just because it's so easy!

Lorianne

#6 Post by Lorianne »

isthistaken wrote:In about 3 months or so, I dropped about three sizes.
Holy cow!!!!! that is awesome!!

Roses

#7 Post by Roses »

As thus far I have been sticking to soups and maybe some sausages cut up really small, the cut in carbs I'm hoping will have some positive affect! Although I worry that it will all be reversed when I can eat properly again.

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

Roses wrote:As thus far I have been sticking to soups and maybe some sausages cut up really small, the cut in carbs I'm hoping will have some positive affect! Although I worry that it will all be reversed when I can eat properly again.
Same here, I'm starting to eat more now and it is definitely a worry. I guess I could ask my ortho to make it harder to eat again... :lol:

Papa Joe

#9 Post by Papa Joe »

papa joe, did you have build ups on your teeth, or no? great that you got back to exercising and clean eating though! I'm already afraid of too much ice cream, just because it's so easy![/quote]

Not sure what you mean by build ups, i do get food stuck in there. But nothing a quick rinse or brush doesn't fix . I find bread to be the worst, just turns to doe and clogs up everything.
I find i brush after every single meal , more because of the yuck greasy feeling i get from the braces.

Lorianne

#10 Post by Lorianne »

Papa Joe wrote:papa joe, did you have build ups on your teeth, or no? great that you got back to exercising and clean eating though! I'm already afraid of too much ice cream, just because it's so easy!
Not sure what you mean by build ups, i do get food stuck in there. But nothing a quick rinse or brush doesn't fix . I find bread to be the worst, just turns to doe and clogs up everything.
I find i brush after every single meal , more because of the yuck greasy feeling i get from the braces.[/quote]

My dentist said they'll be putting something on my teeth to keep them from touching. So in other words my top biting surfaces will not hit my bottom biting surfaces. Yikes. Really sorta worried about that, and that alone. Aside from that, I'M SO EXCITED!

isthistaken

#11 Post by isthistaken »

Lorianne wrote:
Papa Joe wrote:papa joe, did you have build ups on your teeth, or no? great that you got back to exercising and clean eating though! I'm already afraid of too much ice cream, just because it's so easy!
I find i brush after every single meal , more because of the yuck greasy feeling i get from the braces.
My dentist said they'll be putting something on my teeth to keep them from touching. So in other words my top biting surfaces will not hit my bottom biting surfaces. Yikes. Really sorta worried about that, and that alone. Aside from that, I'M SO EXCITED![/quote]
Lorianne wrote:
My dentist said they'll be putting something on my teeth to keep them from touching. So in other words my top biting surfaces will not hit my bottom biting surfaces. Yikes. Really sorta worried about that, and that alone. Aside from that, I'M SO EXCITED![/quote]

It's nothing to worry about, just can be a bit odd feeling. I was so excited, too, and everything went well, and I was so happy to finally get my braces! :dance:

Marigold

#12 Post by Marigold »

I had the buildups (my ortho called them turbo tails) and did lose some weight. Eating held no enjoyment with those things in. I hated them with a passion. However, once I found mashed potatoes and gravy, I gained all the weight back.
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

NeilH

#13 Post by NeilH »

No weight change at all, then again, no real change in eating habits either. I was hoping the addition of Turbo's would make me more aware of what I'm eating but as that hasn't happened yet, can still pretty much eat whatever I like.

bracefacewoman

#14 Post by bracefacewoman »

I have build ups at the moment and I can't chew anything properly. Like the poster above said, it takes all the fun out of eating. I've lost a few kilos as a result. Not complaining but eating is a bit of a drag

bracefacewoman

#15 Post by bracefacewoman »

I have noticed a decrease in appetite. Plus snacking is a big no-no now - it's just not worth the hassle.