New to board (but not braces)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

this old mouth

New to board (but not braces)

#1 Post by this old mouth »

Greetings all!

Have followed the progress and successes of the good folks on this board for the past 19 months, and finally decided to stop lurking and say howdy. I got braced for the second time one month before my 58th birthday, first time was in my teens, took five years with bands on EVERY tooth. Had four bicuspids and two wisdom teeth -only grew two - removed. Was in headgear for two years but fortunately only had to wear it at night. Had a conventional retainer for a few months which was then replaced with something that looked like an athletic mouthguard and tasted like an old tire. Made me drool on the pillow at night and I gave it up after about one year.

Have a truly impressive deep bite and the hardest jaw bone outside the La Brea tar pits. My upper central incisors were so retroclined they were chipping the lower teeth. One tooth actually cracked in half diagonally and had to be bonded. My orthodontist has only wired the upper jaw so far in an attempt to create some clearance so I won't bite off the lower brackets, should they finally be applied. After 19 months and PAOO from canine to canine on the upper jaw the incisors are still not completely vertical. Ortho wants them to flare out a bit before proceeding with brackets on the lowers. Have an adjustment on Tuesday and if there's still little progress then we'll have to decide what is an acceptable outcome.

Wanted to thank everyone for sharing their stories and advice. It has been a great help as I do this dance for the second time.

Carmella

isthistaken

Re: New to board (but not braces)

#2 Post by isthistaken »

Best screen name ever!!! :lol: