Introduction - I guess

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kittenpoint

Introduction - I guess

#1 Post by kittenpoint »

I hope this is in the right spot. I'm really only posting this so my account doesn't get deleted; I signed up because I wanted to look at before and afters of situations similar to mine as well as gather more information before getting braces. I don't have braces yet though I do have a consultation Sept. 19, hopefully it goes well. I have a pretty good overbite, overjet, and gaps between my front top teeth. Unfortunately I have severe damage to my teeth (Mountain Dew Mouth), and while I've gotten it fixed, the majority of the tooth surfaces are composite filling and not actually enamel, though there is still some left on a few teeth. I was hoping for Invisalign, because I wasn't sure if traditional braces could be used on my teeth, but the woman I talked to said Invisalign doesn't work very well when fixing bite problems and that regular braces can be attached to composite so we will see. Oh I'm 24.

isthistaken

Re: Introduction - I guess

#2 Post by isthistaken »

kittenpoint wrote:I hope this is in the right spot. I'm really only posting this so my account doesn't get deleted; I signed up because I wanted to look at before and afters of situations similar to mine as well as gather more information before getting braces. I don't have braces yet though I do have a consultation Sept. 19, hopefully it goes well. I have a pretty good overbite, overjet, and gaps between my front top teeth. Unfortunately I have severe damage to my teeth (Mountain Dew Mouth), and while I've gotten it fixed, the majority of the tooth surfaces are composite filling and not actually enamel, though there is still some left on a few teeth. I was hoping for Invisalign, because I wasn't sure if traditional braces could be used on my teeth, but the woman I talked to said Invisalign doesn't work very well when fixing bite problems and that regular braces can be attached to composite so we will see. Oh I'm 24.
I am twice-plus your age and have many fillings and crowns and all my metal brackets are holding. I've only popped one off in four months. Welcome to our forum and best to you going forward with braces.

SunshineRay

#3 Post by SunshineRay »

Hi and welcome!

JeniK

#4 Post by JeniK »

Hi and Welcome also. I had my braces put on Tuesday. I have 2 crowns on the bottom in back...I have brackets on them...if that give me trouble...orth will do bands he said. He doesn't think we will have to go that route though.

Lorianne

#5 Post by Lorianne »

[quote="kittenpoint"]I hope this is in the right spot. I'm really only posting this so my account doesn't get deleted; I signed up because I wanted to look at before and afters of situations similar to mine as well as gather more information before getting braces. I don't have braces yet though I do have a consultation Sept. 19, hopefully it goes well. I have a pretty good overbite, overjet, and gaps between my front top teeth. Unfortunately I have severe damage to my teeth (Mountain Dew Mouth), and while I've gotten it fixed, the majority of the tooth surfaces are composite filling and not actually enamel, though there is still some left on a few teeth. I was hoping for Invisalign, because I wasn't sure if traditional braces could be used on my teeth, but the woman I talked to said Invisalign doesn't work very well when fixing bite problems and that regular braces can be attached to composite so we will see. Oh I'm 24.[/quote]

I signed up for the same reason and posting so I can keep my account. I am getting braces in a few weeks, Aug. 27. woo hoo! So excited! I'm doing 6MS. I'm not a great candidate for Invisalign and besides, I don't want that anyway. I just don't think I'd like those trays in my mouth all the time. Good luck to you on your consult! I've always wanted braces but been too chicken to get them. I figure I'm 56 now, so better late than never!

JeniK

#6 Post by JeniK »

Welcome! Lorianne!

Lorianne

#7 Post by Lorianne »

thanks Jenik! ;-)

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

I am your same age, Lorianne.

Roses

#9 Post by Roses »

I'm new too :) Had fixed metal braces put on my lower and upper yesterday. No molar bands though, and I'm hoping it stays that way because those things look painful!

task

#10 Post by task »

Hey, I'm also new but posted up in a different section. I recently noticed my teeth had been moved (probably had been for some time) and I'd lost my retainer a long time ago. I made an appt at a Ortho close to me and I'm getting some new retainers made while I consider if I can afford or if I want to go through with braces at 32.

kids041

#11 Post by kids041 »

Welcome!

djspeece

#12 Post by djspeece »

Welcome and best of luck in your orthodontic journey!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kittenpoint

#13 Post by kittenpoint »

Thanks for all the welcomes. I got good news and possibly bad news from my last appt. I had another dentist appt. on the 8th, for a filling, and now I have a pulp cap in that tooth and that's not going to be removed until Oct 31st. Hopefully I can avoid a root canal or an extraction. :( My regular dentist is also an ortho, though he only does certain cases, and told me to keep the consultation appt. with the other ortho next month and that I can get an evaluation with him after the pulp cap is removed and then depending on whether or not that heals I can decide on what course of action to take. Now I'm going to go snoop around the site for Invisalign cases. :)