Brace day tomorrow....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clairelouise

Brace day tomorrow....

#1 Post by clairelouise »

Well i finally get my brace fitted tomorrow (being 33, feeling geeky..ha!!)....eeeeekkk..... really trying to stay focused and reminding myself of why im doing it...the end result will be worth it!!!!.... Supposed to be going a party tomorrow night...(shuddering at the thought).... hopefully I will feel different tomorrow when its on :-))....

anedia

Re: Brace day tomorrow....

#2 Post by anedia »

Good luck!!! Keep us updated. I think what you're feeling is pretty normal..
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

Welcome aboard!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kathydell

#4 Post by kathydell »

Welcome! I'm 47 and I felt so embarrassed but I sucked it up & pressed on with a smile and went to a party 2 days later. I even ate my beloved pizza - although with a knife & fork. Now, almost 5 months later I'm so happy and wished I did it sooner. It really is a bigger deal to you than any of your friends or coworkers. They will actually think you're kinda brave & cool for doing it. I got ceramics and have to occasionally admit to being annoyed that people don't notice LOL.

NeilH

#5 Post by NeilH »

Good luck. I went out immediately after getting my braces fitted to collect for a charity and spoke to hundreds of people before I even had a chance to have a proper look at them. Go and enjoy your party!

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

kathydell: Well said!

Matilda

#7 Post by Matilda »

Congratulations on getting your braces and good luck tomorrow.

Bert613

#8 Post by Bert613 »

Welcome to the club. I recently got braced with metal brackets and I'm going to a drag show tonight. Hopefully I won't become part of the act.

clairelouise

#9 Post by clairelouise »

Thank you all for you lovely comments....the brace is on :-o....just the top one for now...its a ceramic one...the ortho was really nice, no discomfort putting it on at all...The brace has made me realise how much i hate my teeth...glad ive finally started the long road to a nice smile ...From a distance you really can't see it...which i am pleased about, i do feel a bit goofy though haha...My family were really supportive and have said 'it doesn't look too bad' my youngest son (he's 7) said it is 'cool' yeah go me !!! although he has insisted on telling complete strangers that mum has a brace and she is embarrassed about it (don't you just love kids!! ;-) )....No pain as of yet, not even got a lisp (phew)... Hopefully the party will go well tonight with no 'awkward' moments..... will post picture soon :-)...

jem

#10 Post by jem »

Congratulations clairelouise,

I am another Brit who was also embarrassed to have a brace fitted. I too had a ceramic upper brace.I have just finished after 18 months and am really pleased. The whole process was much easier than I expected and most people did not even notice the ceramic brace and I never had any negative comments from those who did.

Your teeth may be a little sore tomorrow,so enjoy some anaesthetic at your party tonight and keep smiling!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

isthistaken

#11 Post by isthistaken »

jem wrote:Congratulations clairelouise,

I am another Brit who was also embarrassed to have a brace fitted. I too had a ceramic upper brace.I have just finished after 18 months and am really pleased. The whole process was much easier than I expected and most people did not even notice the ceramic brace and I never had any negative comments from those who did.

Your teeth may be a little sore tomorrow,so enjoy some anaesthetic at your party tonight and keep smiling!

Jem
I'm wondering if there is a cultural component to whether one feels embarassed about having braces. I guess I just like sociology although there are no jobs in it. But back to my question, although I know there are many people in the US who feel this way as well, I wonder if it has anything to do with whether there are national health benefits. Do people look down on those who utilize this benefit, like some here roll their eyes at people using food stamps? I don't do this, and I actually had to use them for a short while to keep my children from starving, but I'm just curious as the whether having braces is thought ostentatious or something.

mitboi

#12 Post by mitboi »

i'm new here and am suppose to get braces tomorrow as well. but due to a last minute business trip, i've decided to delay it a few days. not sure if im disappointed or not. lol

good luck to u! :)

clairelouise

#13 Post by clairelouise »

Goodluck mitboi..... to be honest i would of delayed if i had a buisness trip (purely for vanity reasons ) I was looking forward to getting my brace fitted and nervous at the same time.. I know if the ortho could have given me an instant smile, I would have smiled coming out of the dentist .....Im a student and im on summer break now, thank goodness...hopefully by the time i go back to uni I won't feel geeky and will be used to speaking with them ha ha :-)

Please let me know how you get on......

mitboi

#14 Post by mitboi »

I'm in my summer break as well. Am a grad student working in the summer. Glad that I made the decision to push back the brace date or else eating would've been difficult. Will be getting my top the morning I get back to the city. Pretty nervous! Also been thinking what my school friends will think! Lol

So how are you adjusting to your braces so far?

mysticgirl916

#15 Post by mysticgirl916 »

You're going to be fine, I'm 33 and I got my top braces a little over 2 weeks ago. They may offer you a choice of ligature color so pick one that you like

Keep us updated on your progress! :thumbsup: