first adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

agrace90

first adjustment

#1 Post by agrace90 »

I have my first adjustment in the morning and I'm so excited but just as nervous, if not even a little bit scared as the time gets closer! Any advice or words of wisdom? Even just a "good luck" at this point would probably make me feel better. Haha thanks!

CountessDeSangre

Re: first adjustment

#2 Post by CountessDeSangre »

Pop an ibuprofen before you head out. My first adjustment wasn't so bad while I was IN the chair but by the time I left I was sore all over again. The first few months I was taking ibuprofen before every adjustment and for about two days after. I don't miss those days at all!

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

beckyboo0205

#3 Post by beckyboo0205 »

My first "adjustment" (or appointment) they basically did nothing. lol They opened my bracket doors, closed them back up and done. Granted, if my teeth were sore, it would have hurt because they really shake your head around to do that! My second appointment was a wire change.

SunshineRay

#4 Post by SunshineRay »

My first adjustment wasnt bad at all. I think I took 2 advil beforehand but was never in any pain. It felt a little weird when they changed the ligs and power chain....what you have on now is stretched out so there will be the tightness of the new. I actually liked it better. I felt like I could talk better and there wasnt as much 'stuff' in my mouth.

chichi

#5 Post by chichi »

Good luck! I have my first adjustment 3 weeks from today and I also have Damons so I'd love to hear how it went :D
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

isthistaken

#6 Post by isthistaken »

Since you're in Cali, maybe this isn't too late. Ibuprofen might be a good idea BEFORE the adjustment.

agrace90

#7 Post by agrace90 »

Thanks guys, for all the advice. I forgot the Advil before, but did remember after I got in the car on the way home! the appointment was interesting experience. They changed both wires and attached my top back molars. The wire is .18 I think, I don't know what that means but he said it's two steps up from the starter wire I had in. It was somewhat painful in one area where my teeth are moving a lot and I know the pressure was pretty intense in that area also. Otherwise it was a breeze! I know it's going to get pretty sore since when I ate a couple tacos for lunch the chewing was achy. The worst part was honestly the noise the wire made when being slid into the back brackets. The metal on metal sounded and vibrated through my head like nails on a chalkboard. Got the shivers in the chair and the assistant automatically knew it was the noise. Another 10 weeks until my next adjustment!