Elastics, OMG OUCH!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

isthistaken

Re: Elastics, OMG OUCH!

#16 Post by isthistaken »

ST24085 wrote:Apparently TADs don't hurt because there are very few nerves where they anchor them. A girl I talked to said they didn't hurt at all.
Thanks, this made my day. I'm still nervous though!

BracesChick

#17 Post by BracesChick »

I have to wear then 20 hours a day. But can take them out to eat. If I couldn't take the out to eat I could not chew anything. These babies are TIGHT! They also make me speak with a lisp, hope that goes away soon. :(

BracesChick

#18 Post by BracesChick »

Ugh, so it's tuesday and they said I would be talking normal by Monday. LIES!!!
Also I keep snapping them, and that hurts so bad. Whenever I yawn they snap :-(

Tobilei

#19 Post by Tobilei »

BracesChick wrote:Ugh, so it's tuesday and they said I would be talking normal by Monday. LIES!!!
Also I keep snapping them, and that hurts so bad. Whenever I yawn they snap :-(
Yowch!!! I snapped one the other morning trying to get it off (didn't quite manage and it snapped back against my lip). Stung like nothing else! Brought tears to my eyes and everything! I'm sure it gets better. My daughter never said she loved elastics but she got used to them mostly. Hope it doesn't stay miserable for much longer for you!

BracesChick

#20 Post by BracesChick »

Ugh they are aweful! It would not be so bad if they were not so tight. I was in chem class (Yes I'm crazy and taking an 8 week chem class), and it snapped mid yawn. I yelled so loud. lol

Tobilei

#21 Post by Tobilei »

I can imagine! I sounded rather like a sailor for a good 5 minutes after I snapped mine on my face!

djspeece

#22 Post by djspeece »

Tobilei wrote:... I sounded rather like a sailor for a good 5 minutes ....
I know a little about this :D .

Elastics are the work of the devil. I still lisp if I am not careful with them, sounding somewhat affected. I get distracted and try to brush my teeth with them in. I was walking with a colleague to lunch yesterday, and as we walked across the parking lot I removed them fairly discretely and threw them to the ground with complete disdain.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

oldfart

#23 Post by oldfart »

For me the elastics aren't painful. Its just the constant heavy pressure with them and the annoyance that gets to me. Unless I force it, I can only comfortable open my mouth about 1/2 inch. And have to remember to force it open when I want to talk and ennunciate.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

oldfart

#24 Post by oldfart »

Kinda like self imposed bondage. (not that I am into that sort of thing, just saying)

:)
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

isthistaken

#25 Post by isthistaken »

djspeece wrote:

Elastics are the work of the devil. I still lisp if I am not careful with them, sounding somewhat affected. I get distracted and try to brush my teeth with them in. I was walking with a colleague to lunch yesterday, and as we walked across the parking lot I removed them fairly discretely and threw them to the ground with complete disdain.
I'm going to tell your ortho! :jokerlaugh:

EbonyQ

#26 Post by EbonyQ »

I loved my elastic! I even used dobbel heavy ones at night voluntarily (after asking my ortho). Had no pain with them at all :D

That is one of the things that I miss with just braces in one jaw, my elastics :(

[/url]

djspeece

#27 Post by djspeece »

:D
isthistaken wrote:
djspeece wrote:

I'm going to tell your ortho! :jokerlaugh:

Oh great, a snitch. He'll probably need to add another torture device at my next visit (perhaps the Turbo-Pain-O-Matic).

:D
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

isthistaken

#28 Post by isthistaken »

Elastics are the work of the devil. I still lisp if I am not careful with them, sounding somewhat affected. I get distracted and try to brush my teeth with them in. I was walking with a colleague to lunch yesterday, and as we walked across the parking lot I removed them fairly discretely and threw them to the ground with complete disdain.[/quote]

I'm going to tell your ortho! :jokerlaugh:[/quote]

Oh great, a snitch. He'll probably need to add another torture device at my next visit (perhaps the Turbo-Pain-O-Matic).

:D[/quote]

:lol: You, of all people, should know what they say about loose lips. They didn't have the internet back then. I don't think Al Gore was invented yet, either. :lol:

marybee

#29 Post by marybee »

After wearing elastics most of the time I've had braces, it feels weird without them! Between the power chain and the tightness of the elastics, my teeth have really shaped up. Whipped those puppies into submission and now they are all straight and pretty! Next month will be the the finishing before they remove the braces and from what I gathered, there will be some weird elastic configuration. :soremouth:

xanidu2012

#30 Post by xanidu2012 »

I don't have any ouches I'm like the person who commented earlier its the pressure. But the more I wear them its not so bad now.