Photos and Braces, Hide them or Flaunt them?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ron1697

Re: Photos and Braces, Hide them or Flaunt them?

#31 Post by ron1697 »

My friends flaunt them! Considering everyone likes to wear braces now
I can't wait to get mine.

tamiddavis

#32 Post by tamiddavis »

I also have full metal, and I really don't like the way they end up looking in photos, I feel like it looks like I have dark, rotting teeth also. So I try to do the "somewhat amused" smile without showing teeth, but not quite the grinch closed mouth smile with front of lips stuck together. If you catch my drift. ;)

Also Oregonian here!

djspeece

#33 Post by djspeece »

I'm not a fan of photos either. I have Damons and they just seem to look so obvious in photos.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Featheryy1221

#34 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I always show my teeth when I smile because I've never like my closed mouth smile. It just ends up looking really fake, or like I'm not really smiling.
I don't really care for how my metal braces look in photos. They're too dark most of the time and my brackets are low on my teeth so it looks like the bottoms of my teeth are gross. Lol. Luckily I always use filters for selfies and group photos anyway, and they tone the darkness of the braces down to where it's not as noticeable. :lol:

I'm probably going to try to master the closed mouth smile before my best friends wedding. I don't want to see photos of brace-face me at the reception. Haha.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

jaime

#35 Post by jaime »

It's about 50/50 for me. It depends how far away the camera is. Up close, mouth closed. Far away, mouth open. I've found that in bad lighting, the ceramic brackets and the wire get washed out, so it looks like plain old teeth.

I recently got engaged so my fiancé and I took a photo to put on Facebook. It was a selfie so it was close-up but I figured what the heck, and flashed the braces. I have 2 Facebook friends right now with braces (a friend and my sister), and neither have any photos on Facebook that show them. I actually sort of feel bad for people who are embarrassed. Who cares! It's nothing to be ashamed of.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

kiligeorge

#36 Post by kiligeorge »

I plan to mostly flaunt them. I don't like my closed mouth smile, and with clear braces it's not super noticeable, even in the close up selfies I've found.

And another Oregonian here!

TreadLightly

#37 Post by TreadLightly »

Like a lot of people I would avoid smiling in photos because I didn't like how my smile looked with braces. I did this until my senior year of high school in which I intentionally smiled so I could reference back to it in the future to see how I looked.

Looking back I wish I had of smiled more even with braces.