Photos and Braces, Hide them or Flaunt them?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kipepeo

Re: Photos and Braces, Hide them or Flaunt them?

#16 Post by Kipepeo »

I posted on FB a super grin of me after eating a cupcake with bright blue icing.

isthistaken

#17 Post by isthistaken »

Kipepeo wrote:I posted on FB a super grin of me after eating a cupcake with bright blue icing.
omg how many likes did you get?? :-*

Kezza

#18 Post by Kezza »

I just have to smile big...If I try to hide them I just end up looking weird!
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

isthistaken

#19 Post by isthistaken »

Kezza wrote:I just have to smile big...If I try to hide them I just end up looking weird!
I agree...I look like a vampire or a dog if i just barely smile with just a few glints of the braces showing. :lol:

Marigold

#20 Post by Marigold »

I tend to smile more with braces, but I look awful in photos. Since I have Damons, I'm all metal, so in photos it looks like I have dark or rotten teeth. Not flattering at all! So now I either smile with my lips shut or run when I see a camera. Hopefully it won't be much longer and then I'll make up for all the camera-shy months.
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

isthistaken

#21 Post by isthistaken »

Marigold wrote:I tend to smile more with braces, but I look awful in photos. Since I have Damons, I'm all metal, so in photos it looks like I have dark or rotten teeth. Not flattering at all! So now I either smile with my lips shut or run when I see a camera. Hopefully it won't be much longer and then I'll make up for all the camera-shy months.
I have all metal, too. Love Picasa fill light and highlights. It also helps to switch the photo to black and white.

NeilH

#22 Post by NeilH »

I find I'm smiling loads more since getting braces. I haven't had many photo opportunities yet but don't have any issue with smiling with my metal brackets showing.

lar1991

#23 Post by lar1991 »

i recon i will hide mine until i am compfortable within myself having them! then show them to everyone!

disland78

#24 Post by disland78 »

11 days after getting them you soon forget about them and just smile as normal

parsleysage

#25 Post by parsleysage »

Reviving an old thread... I can't stop smiling or laughing to save my life, so I'm sure my braces will show up in pictures eventually. I plan to get ahead of the game and "announce" it to my social media world by taking a picture with a big smile and the braces in their full glory.

:tingrin:

Then again, I am a "heavy social media user" so it's not abnormal for me to share those things with my "network." I do keep my facebook friends to a minimum, though, I cull it every few months so I have only 240 friends I think (contrasted with other people in their mid-20's who have 1000+ friends!) and they are people I know well, close friends, or family members. I can see how it would be a little more nerve-wracking if you had a bunch of old acquaintances or lots of professional contacts.

oldfart

#26 Post by oldfart »

One year later, I have not posted a single photo of myself with braces visible or at least noticable. Although smile with them for other photos, but most are not facial closeups.
I smile like normal, and don't hide them at all, but even before never took photos of myself without them.

Twelve years ago when I had them I can think of one family photo that my wife required me to smile where they were visible.

One of these days I'll put on sunglasses, a hat, a disquise, and do a full facial shot. Maybe this weekend for something different. I know the site doesn't like all you hot chicks posting photos due to stalkers, but I'm an old balding fart. So doubt they would care. Maybe that will be my next photo op since I do like posting photos. But all have been closeups.

That could be a fun thread. Photos in disguise.....

of.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

#27 Post by 1432 »

i flaunt them! i have ceramic on top, so in most pictures you can hardly even tell. but either way, you look so much happier/more natural when you smile with braces instead of trying to hide them!

pearlies

#28 Post by pearlies »

I flaunt them - this is one really expensive grill baby! Hey, the fad is to wear metal on teeth lately and look like a goofball, eg grills on Madonna, Miley, & Katy Perry. Just think "big money" and grin :D

Took me awhile to build up to that comfort level though. First months my teeth looked so janky I was completely close-lipped. Now, after realizing most people aren't staring at them, I show them off. Only close up do you really see them.

2XRound

#29 Post by 2XRound »

When I was first rebraced I was shy about showing them. But when a couple of men I like told me they made me look younger I began smiling wider and showing them at every opportunity. If the rest of you smiles and laughs with the braces people respond positively. Several of my acquaintances and friends have confided io n me that they wish they had the nerve to get their teeth fixed. My question is always the same: then why not? ( wearing pink ligs for Easter)
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

Ambrosia80

#30 Post by Ambrosia80 »

First of all, I try to avoid being in pictures! Ha!
I will smile big about 50% of the time in pics with my husband and/or kids, but if I'm forced to be in another kind of picture, I will smile with my teeth showing *if* it's not a close up! (My top braces are clear so from far away they aren't noticeable.)
The only exception was my sister's recent wedding pictures. Some of them were close ups, but I smiled big anyway, because when I try to smile with my mouth closed it just looks really bad. My braces stick out so far that when I try to smile with my mouth closed, two squares end up peeping through, haha!!
I really hope she doesn't post them on Facebook, but I know she probably will. :tingrin:
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)