new gaps forming

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

agrace90

new gaps forming

#1 Post by agrace90 »

I've had my braces for about 7 weeks and am noticing gaps between my two front top teeth. My teeth were crowded to start with so the gaps are somewhat welcome but still make me nervous. It's wide enough to floss without touching either tooth with the thick part of super floss. So maybe 1mm ? Just wanted to see if this happens since the ortho office is closed over the weekend.
Ash

beckyboo0205

Re: new gaps forming

#2 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Like 9 hours after I got my braces, I had a new gap form! I think it was just from one tooth straightening out a little and formed a new gap... since then it's gotten bigger. Everyone always says "Things will get worse before they get better."

safetysquirrel

#3 Post by safetysquirrel »

Totally normal :) it means that your teeth are making space for other teeth to move into their correct homes, or that everything is moving to meet the shape of the archwire.

I've found that asking my ortho or ortho assistant what to expect between now and my next adjustment has been incredibly helpful. I actually found out that he expected spaces to open up on both arches (or at least the top) by asking that question - which is great, because I normally would have been a little concerned about the space I'm seeing on my formerly crowded lower arch!

Candyland

#4 Post by Candyland »

I had gaps open up all over my top arch in the fist 2 months of having braces. I talked to my ortho and he decided to put a power chain on the front 6 teeth to close the gaps. Within 2 hours of have the power chain on all the gaps had closed! Power chains may hurt but they work really well.

agrace90

#5 Post by agrace90 »

Thanks for the responses. I forgot I posted this until I was just about to post the same question! HAHA I had my first adjustment about a week and a half ago and the front gap closed within hours of the appointment but now I've noticed it opening back up and a few teeth on the bottom have spaced out as well. My teeth were extremely crowded on top and a bit crowded on the bottom so it was a concerning but relieving feeling to see the gaps opening up. Now that I know it's okay I'm actually excited about seeing space open up! :)
~Ash

Winkos

#6 Post by Winkos »

I was concerned the second month when I had a gap open up between two teeth in my lower arch. These teeth were pretty straight with mild crowding. Into the third month now and the gap is closed.

Matilda

#7 Post by Matilda »

Gaps are common.

ajs604

#8 Post by ajs604 »

I have had braces for 12 wks and just noticed that I can get floss in my fron teeth which were terribly crowded before........so results lol. I was so excited by being able to finally get floss in. Its slow progress....but well worth it.
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

Pondemoz

#9 Post by Pondemoz »

Gaps are just starting to form between my lower, formerly severely-crowded teeth. I got way too excited when I first noticed. I went to get my second adjustment last week and my ortho was surprised; she said she normally sees this kind of progress around the 7th adjustment! Hopefully, my teeth will continue to cooperate.