Can anyone give me tips on Invisalign vs traditional braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wwapd

Can anyone give me tips on Invisalign vs traditional braces

#1 Post by wwapd »

Ortho says my case can be solved using both but traditional braces are cheaper while Invisalign fits my personality. I have to talk all day for my job. I haven't paid anyone or signed anything yet. I'm partial to inivislign.

JeniK

Re: Can anyone give me tips on Invisalign vs traditional bra

#2 Post by JeniK »

I wanted Invisalign. I thought at my age that would be best. I talked to my dentist about it. He said that I have some teeth that need to be rotated. Invisalign doesn't work that well for what I need. If I really wanted to go that route he would do it. But it would work for couple of months or so...then we would have to start over. Said it would be very frustrating for me. He advised the brackets and wires would be best for me. So I will be going with clear on the top and metal on the bottom. I am more then ok with that. Good luck with your decision. It is a big one to make.

beckyboo0205

#3 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Invisalign wouldn't work for my case and my ortho said that it didn't really work for most cases. I've seen some people on here too who've done Invisalign and it still didn't work right and end up having to get traditional braces. I definately wanted Invisalign because who would want real braces when you could have something that is almost invisible? But I couldn't and did end up with normal braces and 3 months in, I don't really notice them. It's not really a big deal for people to see them either.

Also, not sure how much research you've done on Invisalign but most people have to get these nubs added onto their teeth to help them move I guess. So some people say they don't even look invisible cause you can see those. That's one thing alot of people don't know.

denSMSgt

#4 Post by denSMSgt »

My wife and I (both forty-somethings) in jobs that involve being up front, talking, briefing, presenting etc., both vetoed invisalign even though for us it was the same price.

For her, she knew she would be annoyed and just take them out and not progress like she should.

Me, well sadly this isn't my first rodeo after a failed supposedly permanent bonded lower retainer (I HIGHLY recommend folks don't go that route upon completion). I hated dealing with retainers, take in and out for eating etc. which is actually why I asked to go with that bonded wire retainer.

So with that said, the removing to eat etc. made me go all metal. I even like to do colours on powerchains and elastics. May as well have some fun with it whilst things are being fixed right this time! I'm probably the rarity in that department though, the adult who chose all metal, colours, and smiles more now than before.

Whichever way you go, I hope it goes well! Smile y'all. :tingrin:

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

I was offered invisalign. My ortho didn't try to sway me one way or the other but after I had decided on braces he told me he was glad because he felt I could achieve a better result with braces. Like others he also told me that a lot of people aren't happy with their invisalign result and end up finishing up in braces.

For me I went with braces because I was worried I wouldn't wear the invisalign trays if things were hurting. Also you have to get little cement nodules glued on your teeth to help them move and I felt like if I was going to have things sticking off my teeth I might as well have braces. I also decided that I wanted to be able to sip a cup of coffee or something while out in public without having to take my trays out.

I can honestly say there's been once or twice where I've wondered if I should have gone with invisalign but really I don't regret my decision at all. I'm glad I went with braces.

marybee

#6 Post by marybee »

I knew going into this for the second that if there was pain, I could just easily remove the Invisalign...and how would that help my teeth? I opted for the Damon and don't regret it!
They are smaller and I have been extremely happy with the results.

kids041

#7 Post by kids041 »

I have the same issue! Ortho says that he would rather do Invisalign, but I don't think I will keep them in like I am supposed to once the pain hits. I am leaning towards regular braces.

arciedee

#8 Post by arciedee »

If the ortho feels that you can achieve the desired results with either method, then I think it's really a matter of personal preference.

I know the general consensus in this thread is that traditional braces are preferred over Invisalign. For a voice on the opposite side, I'm choosing the Invisalign route. While I know they're not 100% invisible, I preferred a more discrete method of straightening my teeth (I am involved in performing arts, which influenced my decision) and I liked knowing that I could take them out to brush and floss. Overall it just fit my lifestyle better and I also know that I'll be committed to wearing the trays as prescribed.

Of course, if the ortho didn't feel I could accomplish my goals with Invisalign I would have considered going the traditional route, but he didn't mention that. He did, however, suggest starting with a fixed appliance and elastics to work on my bite, so I've got a bit of metal going on at the moment. It's mostly served to reinforce that I made the right decision for me in going with Invisalign. I know that I really would not want to go through two years in traditional braces (these things are driving me nuts), but I've also been able to prove to myself that I can commit to wearing something removable (the elastics) in spite of the pain and hassle.

Good luck with your decision!

sirwired

#9 Post by sirwired »

What sort of job do you have and do you look young for it? You'll be able to talk just fine with either braces or Invisilign. In a professional-type job, if you already are (or look) "young" for the position, braces may or may not be a factor.

isthistaken

#10 Post by isthistaken »

I know some people disagree for various reasons, but traditional braces are more effective. I have heard this from professionals in the field (my ortho, for one.) My belief is there are few cases that would respond as well to Invisalign as to traditional braces. For people who are dead set against regular braces, it's probably the only option to get some kind of resolution, but they are not going to address anything but mild problems and for many bite issues they won't work.

katsface

#11 Post by katsface »

Make sure to ask the ortho if you will need a lot of extra attachments. I've read a lot of people say they wouldn't have bothered with Invisalign had they knows they would need very visible "buttons" and other attachments that aren't clear. Same goes for ceramic brackets. If you need springs, coils, and other appliances that are highly visible, the Invisalign or ceramic brackets won't matter as much because all of the other stuff will draw extra attention to your teeth.

But if the treatment is fairly simple, and the time isn't different, go with whichever you feel comfortable.

I say this as someone in Lingual braces on top with metal self ligating brackets on the bottom. My case is super complicated so I wasn't a candidate for Invisalign (even though I desperately wanted it). I got the lingual brackets on top because they are truly invisible. They're behind my teeth instead of in front, so you wouldn't know they were there at all if I didn't tell you. To me, that was TOTALLY worth it. I also think the metal brackets on the bottom look cute, so I get the best of both worlds ;)
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

kathydell

#12 Post by kathydell »

I could have gone either way but after much discussion I chose traditional braces. It seemed that I would need far to many "buttons" for them to truly be invisible and the ortho felt that traditional braces would be far more effective and quicker treatment time. I too had rotations that needed to be corrected and Invisalign doesn't do well with that. I did a lot of research on it because I really really wanted Invisalign. I learned things like their customer services isn't always reliable and trays can sometimes take much longer than anticipated slowing down your treatment. I also read that you can have some significant cavity problems if you're not SUPER diligent with your oral care. I am also a professional who has to do a lot of public speaking and a lot of eating at meetings with others I work with. The crazy routine of Invisalign was going to make it so I wouldn't be compliant wearing them as many hours a day as you need to for success. I got the braces 3 months ago and I don't regret going with braces over Invisalign for a second.