Not the brightest idea- New braces+ camping 2 days later

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SunshineRay

Not the brightest idea- New braces+ camping 2 days later

#1 Post by SunshineRay »

Soooo what do you think I can take with me to eat? My daughter chose to go camping for her birthday this weekend and I didnt even think about what I would eat. I worried about the pain but not food.
Braces on Thurs at 10am and camping Sat at noon for 24 hrs. Obviously I cant eat mashed potatoes....lol

bottlecap1990

Re: Not the brightest idea- New braces+ camping 2 days later

#2 Post by bottlecap1990 »

I would stay home if I were you.
RPE. 6/5/2010
Full metal braces, 8/7/2010
Braces Removed, 6/12/2013

jem

#3 Post by jem »

I wouldn't! Don't let your braces stop you living your life. Enjoy your daughters' birthday.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

There should be plenty of easily-cooked foods you can enjoy. If you use the powdered ones, mashed potatoes are totally doable (I prefer the Idahoan brand; they actually taste pretty "real".) Also doable are noodles, like Ramen noodles. Mac 'n Cheese (using powdered milk.) Instant pudding. (also with powdered milk) Oatmeal is an obvious breakfast choice.

Really, most "camping" foods are dry, and have little texture when cooked.

nellarmonia

#5 Post by nellarmonia »

I got my braces last Wednesday and had no problem eating soft pretzels on Friday and hot dogs on Saturday. If you're sore just take some ibuprofen 30 minutes before you eat allowing time for it to kick in. I've had practically no pain at all. Hopefully you will have a similar experience.

smootie

#6 Post by smootie »

24 hours isn't too long so it won't be too bad. Whatever you decide to pack, I would also bring along a few cans of meal supplement drinks (like Ensure) as a backup plan.

kathydell

#7 Post by kathydell »

You will be just fine. Don't put your life on hold. I was even able to eat pizza with a fork 2 days in. You just figure it out. I highly recommend the GUM brand of braces wax. Forget the free stuff from the ortho. It's so not as good. GUM has one with aloe in it and a mind spearmint flavor. It's AWESOME. As far as food goes, I did really well with yogurt, eggs, orzo pasta, and rice & tapioca pudding in the first couple of days. A couple of those are easy to pack for camping. Also, don't forget the tylenol and lip balm, especially the lip balm. I'm 3 months into treatment and lip balm is still my best friend.

JeniK

#8 Post by JeniK »

I have NO advice to give. But it sounds like everyone else has good ideas for you. All I can say...Is I agree with everyone....go and enjoy your weekend..and Happy Birthday to your Daughter!! :dance:

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Go camping and have fun. Braces should never interfer with normal activities!

When eating, just chew slowly. Use your tongue against the roof of your mouth to help...I am not sure what people take to go camping but hotdogs, hamburgers, beans...all that can be eaten in small bites. Or just mash stuff up.

Right after getting my braces, I went to McDonalds for a happy meal! It can be done! Just chew slowly!

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

Just remember to bring your NSAID of choice, ortho phone number, and your dental gear! I'm not a camper by a long shot (I'm told there is no room service) but I hope you and your daughter have a great time!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

SunshineRay

#11 Post by SunshineRay »

Thanks guys! Im not a camper either but the fam likes to.

klobird

#12 Post by klobird »

Well you should have braces now so CONGRATULATIONS!!

If I were going camping newly braced, I would make sure there was a lot of water to rinse the food out of my braces. Remember the wax (Mack's pillow soft ear wax is THE BEST), Ibuprofen,
toothpicks (!), toothpaste and toothbrush, and a rinse cup.

Soon enough you will learn which foods work best in public--hint: salad is not one of them!!

rhibee83

#13 Post by rhibee83 »

you could eat baked beans, weetbix with warm milk to make them soggy, soft white bread without the crust and torn and eaten on your back teeth should be fine! custard from custard powder, mac and cheese, soups, make a soft cake and take it with you hehe or a vegie slice that can be eaten cold if you like, there are lots of things :)

enjoy camping and hope your daughter has a great birthday!