Weight GAIN and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JeniK

Re: Weight GAIN and braces

#31 Post by JeniK »

I have to say this is a bit discouraging! I was hoping to lose a few pounds when I get braced. And maybe that would be enough to get me motivated! Wishful thinking I guess! But I am determined to make other changes in myself. One is make it to the gym more often. I would love to be a few pounds (ok..more then a few!) pounds less when I am out of braces. So I am setting a goal for myself. A new me with a beautiful smile!

Tobilei

#32 Post by Tobilei »

rhibee83 wrote:i just continue to pile it on lol. I to used to eat really healthy before braces, and now i just cant get back on track :oops: :paperbag:
It hurts too much to chew healthy food!

And I have other health issues that prevent me drinking smoothies/eating certain healthy foods (not all healthy foods, just certain one's). I keep ranging between gaining 2kgs and then losing it, then it comes right on back. Driving me nuts!

MrsCharisma

#33 Post by MrsCharisma »

The MOST unfortunate part of being braced -- I just do not eat as well as before. My weight has held steady...but I can't snack on raw veggies like carrots for example...Or eat an apple on the go :( I can't eat anything on the go! :-* :-* :-* I have to cut everything up into manageable pieces!

Considering most of my work is closing my gap, my incisors are ALWAYS tender and sensitive and I can rarely bite directly into anything.

The easiest stuff to eat does seem to be the carbs!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Alee

#34 Post by Alee »

I think I was able to lose a little weight in the beginning bc my mouth hurt, chewing was hard, and the biggest thing, I wanted to keep my braces clean, I know it sounds crazy, but it was just easier not to eat than to have to spend 10 minutes cleaning after every snack I ate.