Weight GAIN and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

debinator

Re: Weight GAIN and braces

#16 Post by debinator »

I have NO problem eating, in fact that IS the problem! :shock: I have actually had to revert to my calorie counting ways again. The hardest thing is getting enough protein and limiting the carbs. it seems that the proteins are much harder to negotiate with braces. Not to mention that if I eat carbs i still don't feel satisfied and just keep eating- my body is looking for protein and fat and until it gets it well you can see what happens... munch munch munch :-+

Doing better now though- upped the exercise and am making a concentrated effort at balanced diet and it seems to be working slowly.
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

OldBikerBag

#17 Post by OldBikerBag »

My hardware was removed a week ago and I can already see my brace-weight melting off. Seems high carbs and processed crap are NOT ideal for me. I'm back to scarfing salads and hard proteins (meats...not nuts and beans)
385 Days in Damon Braces

rhibee83

#18 Post by rhibee83 »

debinator wrote:I have NO problem eating, in fact that IS the problem! :shock: I have actually had to revert to my calorie counting ways again. The hardest thing is getting enough protein and limiting the carbs. it seems that the proteins are much harder to negotiate with braces. Not to mention that if I eat carbs i still don't feel satisfied and just keep eating- my body is looking for protein and fat and until it gets it well you can see what happens... munch munch munch :-+

Doing better now though- upped the exercise and am making a concentrated effort at balanced diet and it seems to be working slowly.
Agree Debinator - Carbs are alot easier to eat with braces! I have very much piled it on, specially over this long weekend, SO my plan of attack to get protein is some protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and have a protein and vegies for dinner. Snacks are yoghurt (no sugar) and stewed apple (again no sugar). My body has had enough carbs to last a life time, so I am gonna cut back on them for a bit, not completely! just for a few days/a week just to get the bloatedness away, then i will start eating more protein foods like salmon etc, i just find the protein shakes give me a bit of a kick in the butt! hehe. getting back into gym again of course!

its hard, i will take it a day at a time, but it will happen :)

rhibee83

#19 Post by rhibee83 »

OldBikerBag wrote:My hardware was removed a week ago and I can already see my brace-weight melting off. Seems high carbs and processed crap are NOT ideal for me. I'm back to scarfing salads and hard proteins (meats...not nuts and beans)
yummmmmmmmm! I MISS SALAD! i bet you are loving being free of braces!

Tobilei

#20 Post by Tobilei »

OldBikerBag wrote:My hardware was removed a week ago and I can already see my brace-weight melting off. Seems high carbs and processed crap are NOT ideal for me. I'm back to scarfing salads and hard proteins (meats...not nuts and beans)
Cannot wait for this!! Me and bread have always been in a close relationship but lately I've seen just a bit too much of it and am needing a little space...................all breaded out.

isthistaken

#21 Post by isthistaken »

My husband has lost 13 pounds since I got braces 3.5 months ago, not sure why since he grabs burgers when he is out. We used to eat a lot of cereal for breakfast and snacks. Now we have oatmeal, pancakes or eggs most of the time, even for dinner.

envision5113

#22 Post by envision5113 »

boy i would love to join this club :( I've done nothing but lose weight with braces. so far 15 lbs gone in a month and a half and i just cant gain anything back.

isthistaken

#23 Post by isthistaken »

envision5113 wrote:boy i would love to join this club :( I've done nothing but lose weight with braces. so far 15 lbs gone in a month and a half and i just cant gain anything back.
Me, too. I like being skinny but I have a year to go....

debinator

#24 Post by debinator »

Envision- I sure wish i had that problem. The carbs are killing me- thank goodness I finally started counting calories again- that at least helps me keep things under control.
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

SunshineRay

#25 Post by SunshineRay »

I kind of assumed I would lose weight when I got them on next week (eek!) but I guess its not always that way.

rhibee83

#26 Post by rhibee83 »

debinator wrote:Envision- I sure wish i had that problem. The carbs are killing me- thank goodness I finally started counting calories again- that at least helps me keep things under control.
I am counting calories too! and been to gym the last few days! As I sit here in my work dress that I bought about a month ago and is now TIGHT, and I see the rolls :( OH DEAR.. lol

I have cut back on carbs too. I am heading out to dinner tonight though and having a few drinks, but will try and choose a healthy low carb dinner! somehow lol. BUT straight back into healthy on saturday! :) I am determined to lose this extra 3 kilos!!

anitahansen

#27 Post by anitahansen »

During my previous run with braces, I noticed no change in my overall diet, or in my weight. I think I cut down a bit on sugar in total, since I needed to take away sticky things like caramel, which I loved. And I don't think I replaced that with anything else. I think that helped me get trough braces with few new cavities, even though I had a bunch just before I got my braces. However, no change in my weight...

thiskatie

#28 Post by thiskatie »

Ah yes, I'm also quite sure I've gained a bit of weight. I'm too scared to hop on the scales because I don't want to see higher numbers lol, but I honestly think I have. My clothes aren't as loose fitting as they were before braces. I can still fit into my size 8 (Aus size) jeans, but size 10 is a bit more comfortable now. So obviously I've almost gone up a dress size.
But I'm not watching what I'm eating. Before I had braces on I was eating quite healthy food, but with braces it's changed for some reason. I don't eat chocolate, but I find my self snacking on peanut butter and nutella sandwiches, cheese and mustard sandwiches, burgers, takeaway etc. The food that I'm eating sounds so bad, but I honestly don't think I'm fat. I'm no where near being anorexic though (I was borderline underweight about 4 months ago..).
I really need to start eating more healthily. Or my cholesterol will just keep getting higher..

MaryLiz75

#29 Post by MaryLiz75 »

I gained about 5. However, I am pretty sure that is because I substituted alcohol (to numb the pain of course) for hard foods. So mashed potatoes, ice cream, pasta, and alcohol....not so conducive to weight loss.

We'll figure it out.

rhibee83

#30 Post by rhibee83 »

i just continue to pile it on lol. I to used to eat really healthy before braces, and now i just cant get back on track :oops: :paperbag: