Not sure whether to go a head with treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ajs604

Not sure whether to go a head with treatment

#1 Post by ajs604 »

Hi Everyone, I am due to be braced in 2 days time but I am having second thoughts. I have a terrible open biet but no one really notices it as my teeth do not show.

However, last night I went to sleep and woke up having a panic attack. I am realy concerned about how I will cope being braced as I can be quite socially awkward and am not the best communicator with people. I work in a professional environment. Also I am in a stable relationship at present but will be wearing clear cermaics for almost 2 years, what happens if I become single, will dating be possible.

I realise that there is a stigma associated with braces and we are all adults now but I still cant help worrying how people will perceive me.

Sorry for all the questions just looking for some last reasurance.

Thansk guys. :lol:
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

Tobilei

Re: Not sure whether to go a head with treatment

#2 Post by Tobilei »

I have pretty bad self esteem too and was really worried beforehand about what people would think. I too have clear braces and I've had a lot of people tell me when I mention them that they had no idea I even had braces. You do get used to them though and while you may get the odd second glance, you sort of stop caring, even more so when your teeth and smile start to look nice.

When I first got mine I felt like I had the Sydney Harbour Bridge in my mouth and was sure everyone would look, but nobody does and even if they do it tends to be curiosity more than anything.

Don't back out now, you'll be glad you did it when you have them off and you'll find it's really not so bad with them on :)

I can't comment on dating as I'm married but I honestly don't think they'd make much of a difference. And if they did then I don't think that person would be worth dating anyway!

DaisyChain001

#3 Post by DaisyChain001 »

Hey ajs,

I feel completely the same as you. I'm due to get my brace in two weeks and am anxious despite being really pumped about it for the last few weeks.

I too work in a professional environment and I was at a conference today and it dawned on me that in a couple of weeks time ill be an adult wearing braces at these conferences and I began to think how differently I'd act. It's quite daunting.

My issue with my teeth is quite small but it's bothered me for the last couple of years, my front teeth used to have a tiny gap between them but have slowly began to cross and although people say they don't notice it, I do. My dentist had told me if I don't treat it now or soon, it'll only get worse and take longer to fix so I decided now was the time. Everyone I've told I'm getting braces things I'm nuts because my teeth are straight, except my front teeth which are slowly beginning to cross.

I think that if you notice the issue with your teeth and you think about it then you should go ahead with treatment, like me you set out on this journey because you were not completely happy why your smile. I keep telling myself its only a short while out of my life and the benefits far outweigh the momentary stigma I'll feel. I think that people will respect your decisions and if they do not then they aren't worth bothering with. Also you got your job in that professional environment based on your talents and acumen not your teeth so you shouldn't let it affect how you feel at work. I know it's easier said than done, because I worry about that exact same thing but once people have seen you in braces once, I'm sure they'll not notice again.

I hope I've helped, sorry for my ramble but I feel like I'm in the same place as you right now and I've questioned my decision but every time I come back to the decision that I'm doing this because I want to better myself. :-) you'll always have an excuse for not doing it and if you back out now you might never find the "right time" I've put my brace off for 2 months because I knew I was going on holiday and thought I'd be embarrassed while I was on holiday, but in hindsight I've just put my treatment back 2 months unnecessarily.

Go for it!! :-)

arciedee

#4 Post by arciedee »

I think second thoughts are totally normal! Heck, I thought I was 100% decided and had no doubts, but the couple days before I had my distalizers & LLA cemented on I started having them and wondered if I was doing the right thing. I even had a nightmare about it the night before my appointment!

The thing is... you can't change how others will perceive your braces, but you can control how they perceive YOU as a person. I spent the first couple days feeling really awkward, like people were going to start pointing and laughing. I tried to avoid talking, smiling, laughing, and eating, even amongst people I consider long-time friends. Then I saw a picture of myself with my awkward, closed-mouth smile and saw how absolutely ridiculous I looked while trying to hide the equipment in my mouth. I quickly realized that the people I know see the metal/elastics, register it, and then go back to seeing me. If I meet new people I just act like I always did. If someone is so shallow, as an adult, to poke fun at my efforts to improve my features, that's their problem. If they are a worthwhile colleague, friend, potential date, then my attempts to correct my bite won't take up much of their mental image of me and, if anything, will be a positive mark.

Take a deep breath and remind yourself why it's important to you to do this. There may be some awkward moments, but if you back out you'll probably always wish you had just done it.

Ciara

#5 Post by Ciara »

Relax, take a deep breath! They are not near as bad as we imagine. I was sure that everyone would notice, comment on them, that I would look strange as a university lecturer, that I would develop a lisp and nobody would understand a word I said etc....Well, none of this has happened.
Yes, they have made life more difficult, specially eating out, but that is a small price to pay for all the benefits. It is natural to have second thoughts. Many of us on hear can relate to this but really, it is not as bad as we imagine beforehand.

ajs604

#6 Post by ajs604 »

Hi, thank you all so much for your replies. Just been having a bad few days. I had a night out Friday (had a few too many), dont remember a lot so think it just knocked me down again. Its not a usual occurence for me. This forum is the reason I am doing something about my teeth so appreciate everyones support and advice.

I have already paid $5500 which is just over half my treatment cost so would be losing a lot of money and like arciedee said regretting it long term. I am going to be strong and try and focus on the positives for the next few days. Thank you all :lol:

1st adjustment 2/07/13

DaisyChain001

#7 Post by DaisyChain001 »

You've spent a lot of money and you've been really productive and assertive in starting the process so far :-)

Be strong, you're doing the right thing for YOU

busy bee

#8 Post by busy bee »

I had second thoughts before getting braced too. And then when I got my braces on they were so uncomfortable I wished I hadn'tdone it! But it only took a couple of days getting used to them and now I often forget I have them on. No one seems to notice or if they do they don't say anything. You've got to go for it now! I used to feel pretty awkward when I smiled before braces and now I actually smile more because I'm happy to show off my much improved teeth!

Anna5

#9 Post by Anna5 »

Hi AJS,

I completely understand your feelings. I even cancelled my first braces appointment, because I was so much in doubt about doing it or not! But in the end I got them on and, although I still feel selfconscious about them, I am very happy that I have braces so that my teeth are getting fixed (at least so some extent). And so I am sure you will feel the same. It may be hard, especially in the beginning, but once you see improvement, you will be very happy that you took this step.
I wish you very good luck on your bracing day. We are all here to encourage you!

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

I think those without second thoughts are in a distinct minority. I generally am very comfortable with making bold decisions without looking back, but I gotta tell ya I had my second thoughts driving home from bracing. As I mentioned in another thread I felt as though drivers in the opposite side of the freeway, one of those separated by a wide grassy median, could see my braces and were at any moment going to crash into someone due to their distracted disgust. My cheeks and other oral structures were all thinking "WTH dude?" Perhaps I am a bit too dramatic :roll: .
I am assuming you are a female, a safe bet on this estrogen-intensive forum, and if your guy leaves because of braces then you are better off. I may be in a minority here, but I think braces actually add to a woman's beauty. I really can't describe it well, and I think we all know that we men are sometimes a pretty screwed up bunch overall when it comes to what turns us on, but the fact that you have the courage and make the the effort to correct something that bothers you is very appealing. All the women on this forum are beautiful, and I don't need photos to prove the point. Your braces give a guy an entree to start a conversation with you. And again, I speak for all men on this issue :gavel: . Hang in there!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

amyhenna

#11 Post by amyhenna »

I freaked out so bad the couple of nights before the big date. It totally interrupted my sleep, and I have narcolepsy.

I did it and I'm so happy I did. My teeth weren't that bad either. Nobody else thought I needed braces, but I knew I'd feel better if I got them. I do feel better already.

ajs604

#12 Post by ajs604 »

Anna5 wrote:Hi AJS,

I completely understand your feelings. I even cancelled my first braces appointment, because I was so much in doubt about doing it or not! But in the end I got them on and, although I still feel selfconscious about them, I am very happy that I have braces so that my teeth are getting fixed (at least so some extent). And so I am sure you will feel the same. It may be hard, especially in the beginning, but once you see improvement, you will be very happy that you took this step.
I wish you very good luck on your bracing day. We are all here to encourage you!
Hi, thanks for your reply. I was close to cancelling yestersday but everyones reasoning has helped me know that I am doing the right thing. This forum is great and would be lost without it. Thanks again.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

OldBikerBag

#13 Post by OldBikerBag »

Stigma? What stigma? I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

The only second thought I had was the money involved. I wasn't sure I could justify it. I'm glad I figured it out.

Nervousness is normal. I barely slept the night before I had my tracks installed.
385 Days in Damon Braces

ajs604

#14 Post by ajs604 »

OldBikerBag wrote:Stigma? What stigma? I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

The only second thought I had was the money involved. I wasn't sure I could justify it. I'm glad I figured it out.

Nervousness is normal. I barely slept the night before I had my tracks installed.

Sorry I should rephrase that. I did not mean stigma in an adverse term. I mean it in a sterotypical kind of way, its hard to explain in words lol. I was worried how I would be percieved but am feeling a lot better now I have had such kind words of encouragement. I should really man up as I am generally quite shy ect which is why it became an issue.

I am looking forward to a good nights sleep in preparation for tomorrow.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

Chicken

#15 Post by Chicken »

Happy brace day!