Aligned teeth but overjet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

burtburgerac

Aligned teeth but overjet

#1 Post by burtburgerac »

Hi All. Just wanting to canvass opinion on my dilemma! If you have read any of my other posts you may have seen i am a 30 year old based in the UK with 7mm overjet and some alignment issues. I was referred for surgery but have decided not to go down this route. My current orthdodontist has said that all will be able to do is achieve alignment of my incisors with no retraction, so the overjet will remain. I'm not sure whether to even bother with the treatment, will i be happy with just straight teeth but an overjet?? Has anyone else gone for this sort of treatment and were you happy enough with the results?

flips712

Re: Aligned teeth but overjet

#2 Post by flips712 »

What is your reasoning for not wanting to go the surgical route to have your overjet fixed?

whiteswan

#3 Post by whiteswan »

I can certainly understand not wanting to go the surgery route. The recovery for open heart surgery is apparently easier than that. I know many people are able to reduce overjet by at least half with elastics. You may not get down to no overjet but they should be able to improve it for sure. I say go elsewhere for your treatment.

starfish88

#4 Post by starfish88 »

I got a 12mm overjet down to basically nothing with 6 months of careful elastic wear (no extraction). Obviously it depends on how much of the overjet is skeletal and how much dental but some camoflage must be possible. Have you had a 2nd opinion?

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

JillD

#5 Post by JillD »

I guess it depends on why you want to have orthodontic treatment. I was told that I could have some improvement in my overjet without going through extractions, but my goal was getting rid of the overjet. I wouldn't be going through this ordeal if I cannot get the result I want. So I chose extractions.

Clairebear1993

#6 Post by Clairebear1993 »

Personally I can see why u wouldn't want surgery... I only had my wisdom teeth out and said not again if I can possibly help it... I have an overjet still and I am nearing the end of my treatment now it was 5mm to start and it is about the same after elastics (elastics were causing more issues than help)... Mine is due to skeletal issues though and is hard to fix now I have stopped growing... I am happy with my result it is amazing how much it changes even just with the teeth aligned better :)
Hi...

Baby canine removed: between 2002 & 2004
Started seeing orthodontists:2004
Started with current orthodontist: april 2011
Wisdom teeth surgically removed: 13/4/2012
Spacers: 29/5/1012
Braces (upper and lower): 7/6/2012-10/7/2013
Permanent retainer (upper front 6 teeth, lower front 8 teeth): current

burtburgerac

#7 Post by burtburgerac »

Thanks for all the replies!

Firstly the reason I have chosen not to go down the surgery route is partly because i am a massive wimp and partly because i just dont think i can justify all the risks of surgery purely for a cosmetic operation. I also have concerns about the changes in my appearance at my age.....i've had my face for a long time!! Unfortunately extractions aren't an option as i had two teeth out top and bottom for my first round of braces.

Clairebear1993 its encouraging to see that you've felt am improvement just with better alignment. My family (who have listened to my teeth woes for many years) think I would be happier even if the overjet stayed if my teeth were at least aligned. Unfortunately from what the dental hospital told me it is all skeletal (i.e. my front teeth are "straight") but i think it might be worth a 2nd opinion seeing the mentions of elastics below.

Thanks again all and i'll let you know how i'll get on