How long have your had your archwire in before changing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TMJJill

How long have your had your archwire in before changing?

#1 Post by TMJJill »

I got my lower's about 9 months ago. I was in the first round 'starter' wire for over 7 months.

In an 'emergency' visit last week, I got a a new wire. During today's visit, I was upgraded to a rectangular one. That is 1 week for that last wire.

My uppers progressed with regular wire changes until my current 'finishing' wire which I've had since last August. That is 9 months and counting....

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Tobilei

Re: How long have your had your archwire in before changing?

#2 Post by Tobilei »

Wow, I've had a new wire put in top and bottom every single adjustment so far (4 I think I'm up to). I'm currently in a square looking wire I'm guessing is a rectangular wire at 5 months in.

safetysquirrel

#3 Post by safetysquirrel »

I'm in my starter wire for 10 weeks, and have been told that I'll get new wires at that point. 10 weeks will be my first adjustment, and I'll be getting brackets on my back molars then as well.

Leebie3

#4 Post by Leebie3 »

My initial wire was in for about 6 weeks. They said they'll change them each time I go in..

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

Sita

#5 Post by Sita »

My upper wire has been in since last august. The lower not as long, though I can't remember exactly when. My ortho can't change the wires until all the gaps close, which has finally happened. I hope to be in new wires and moving on to the alignment stage of treatment by the end of the month,

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

ThroughTheWire

#6 Post by ThroughTheWire »

I think I'm going on about 6 weeks.

oimysizex

#7 Post by oimysizex »

Dont worry. I had my starter wire in for about 6 months.
I've now had my 2nd bottom wire in for about 3 months. i think it depends on each individual case.

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

MrsCharisma

#8 Post by MrsCharisma »

I've gotten a new wire at each adjustment, so far.

Braced 1/24
Adjustment 2/28
Adjustment 4/5
Lower brackets placed 5/3 and new wire on uppers

I skipped the "starter" wire on my lowers and went straight to a heavier, stiffer one.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

kt87

#9 Post by kt87 »

I was in my upper starter wire for about 2 months and had it changed about a week and a half ago, I was told I skipped a wire as well (yay? lol).
For my lower I'm still in my starter thin wire which i'll probably be in for awhile
:heart: :heart: :heart:

WiredJon

#10 Post by WiredJon »

I'm 7 months in and have only had my wires changed once so far. Still got a long way to go...