adults with braces freak me out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

isthistaken

adults with braces freak me out

#1 Post by isthistaken »

I came across a facebook page called "adults with braces freak me out."

Here is a typical comment: "i need braces, but im a kid, and braces on adults make me wanna gag, Mrs. Meyer @ my skool lookz kind of cute w/ then"

Also: "My grandpa had braces. creepy.
the funny thing was right after he got them off he was giving advice on them to my brother who was 16 at the time.
that was hilarious"

And: "one of my best friends mom has braces, and shes a really good cook
but whenever my friend invites me over for dinner i always see her mom licking her braces, and its nauseating!"

I guess we're all kind of famous, or infamous. :crazy:

Leebie3

Re: adults with braces freak me out

#2 Post by Leebie3 »

:lol: bahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!!

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

Ciara

#3 Post by Ciara »

I suppose since they are teenagers there is no point telling them to "Grow up, get over it and get used to it!"

amyhenna

#4 Post by amyhenna »

My stepson and his friend came over yesterday, and we had a great time. Soon after they got there, I heard the friend say something about having had braces when he was in sixth grade. I asked him, "You had braces?" He said yes. I asked him a few questions about his, and he and my stepson expressed some morbid curiosity about mine. I could tell they were simultaneously thinking "sucks to be her" and "glad it's not me!" :lol: They both have gorgeous teeth!

They definitely are not mean-spirited whatsoever; we all had a laugh together at me discussing my teeth with a coworker, also in braces, and showing each other our teeth's progress in front of other coworkers. Stepson cracked up at that one: the idea of two adults at work showing each other their teeth :crazy:

It was a great topic of conversation for a while. I told them about people's horror stories with head gear that I've read about online- specifically, a blog I found by a guy who, in high school, was wired into his headgear (could not take it off for school). We all laughed in reverent horror of that, all thankful with the "glad it's not me" feeling :-) and feeling bad for the guy!

I told them I wore headgear as a kid, but not in public. They were shocked that I had it. Even though I didn't wear it in public (very often :-) ...I liked the shock appeal), they were obviously jolted at the idea that I had it at all.

It's funny to me how people react to orthodontics, but I don't mind laughing with them, trying to get in their mind with them to see it how they do. I just feel bad for anyone missing out on all this fun! :singing:

Stepson's friend tried to console me (though I don't need any consolation...I love my braces), saying, "Almost everybody gets braces. It's normal." He is so sweet!

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

16 year-olds driving cars freaks me out, so I guess we're even. :roll:

Alisonpv

#6 Post by Alisonpv »

isthistaken wrote:16 year-olds driving cars freaks me out, so I guess we're even. :roll:
^ LOL... yeah.. no kidding.

I got my braces on June 21, 2013

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

I'm quite sure this won't come across right, but I actually find women with braces very attractive...perhaps it is due to a perception that they are now somehow more vulnerable, or more likely that they care enough and are courageous enough to take such a bold step.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

djspeece wrote:I'm quite sure this won't come across right, but I actually find women with braces very attractive...perhaps it is due to a perception that they are now somehow more vulnerable, or more likely that they care enough and are courageous enough to take such a bold step.
hmmm, aren't those two reasons opposites? never mind...never look a "very attractive" in the mouth.... :-*