Waterpik

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Timetoshine

Waterpik

#1 Post by Timetoshine »

Ok- so I've never seen these in NZ... Anyone have any advice on models makes and how to order one??
[/url]

teambathmat

Re: Waterpik

#2 Post by teambathmat »

I had never heard of them either and have had my braces on 5 months!, my ortho has never advised me to use one......am I missing out????

Ciara

#3 Post by Ciara »

I'd never heard of them either until I found this forum. I bought one and I LOVE it. I had 2 brackets right next to each other (very rotated and tipped premolar) and it was impossible to get floss between the two brackets. I used my waterpit to clean this area and at my next adjustment (after I got my lower brackets), my ortho asked how I was keeping it so clean. I explained, and she looked surprised. She'd known about waterpiks but they are not often used in Japan and she believed they were just a gimmick. She's changed her opinion and has started recommending them to people with problems like mine. They are also useful for cleaning around molar bands and they keep my brackets very clean.

(I can now floss between those two brackets; movement!!!)

I use a "Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser" and one of the little brushes is designed specially for braces. It is called an Water pik Ultra orthodontic tip. I use my waterpik every morning and evening, but I still floss every evening.

Papa Joe

#4 Post by Papa Joe »

toothshop co nz , they are available here in NZ. I've never used one, I'd prolly buy one if i had a spare couple of hundy. But i don't , so i'll stick to the brush , floss , mouthwash.

debinator

#5 Post by debinator »

Try the internet- you can get anything on the internet LOL Mine is a Ultra WP 100 You can get them for $45-60 US dollars online.

I would be lost without mine :pinkbraces:
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

isthistaken

#6 Post by isthistaken »

A picture is worth a thousand words, but I think posting a photo of what the WaterPik removes after a thorough brushing would be a bit disgusting.

It is worth every penny.

twentysomething

#7 Post by twentysomething »

i don't know how you can possibly keep your mouth gunk-free without a waterpik. brushing and flossing, although equally important, doesn't measure up to what the waterpik removes..

teambathmat

#8 Post by teambathmat »

twentysomething wrote:i don't know how you can possibly keep your mouth gunk-free without a waterpik. brushing and flossing, although equally important, doesn't measure up to what the waterpik removes..
Must be doing ok with brushing and flossing as having no problems so far and dentist and orthodontist have never recommended it to me!

Chicken

#9 Post by Chicken »

I got my waterpik ultra from Amazon. In the USA, I also got one for my mum in the UK from Amazon. UK. It was more expensive over there. I don't know about NZ. I have shipped a book to Australia through amazon maybe you could get on shipped. But then you would probably need an adapter for the electric.

Chicken

#10 Post by Chicken »

They also have them on ebay. With world wide shipping one of them comes with a transformer.

foysie

#11 Post by foysie »

I am thinking of buying the waterpik cordless ( as I could take it to work/ travel etc).

Any reviews re the Ultra vs the cordless ?

debinator

#12 Post by debinator »

I have a cordless, and while it works in a pinch it's not that great. The reservoir doesn't hold much water and you have to refill it a lot. The pressure is not all that great, as it is controlled by which tip you use, but as I said it works in a pinch. I used to take mine with me to work but have found that if I brush real well and have interdental picks for anything stuck between that I am fine until I do my nightly Dental Spa Treatment
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

foysie

#13 Post by foysie »

is the ultra one shockingly loud ?

djspeece

#14 Post by djspeece »

foysie wrote:I am thinking of buying the waterpik cordless ( as I could take it to work/ travel etc).

Any reviews re the Ultra vs the cordless ?
I bought the cordless for use at the office and was quite disappointed. It lacks the force of the ultra, and the water capacity is quite limited. I love the ultra though. My hygienist was surprised that I did not floss, but relied only on the waterpik. She recommended that to be safe a use those small Christmas tree brushes dipped in Listerine as part of my routine, which I did.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

foysie

#15 Post by foysie »

Well, after reading about the lack of pressure with the cordless, I have purchased the
Ultra !

Was only $24 more to go from a cordless to the whole machine !

I am going to try it tonite and love the idea of all the attachments and the 10 pressure settings.

My flossing has been hard work up to now (2 weeks braced) and I am really hoping this will make a difference to my teeth/gums etc for hygiene.

After spending so much money on fillings and the braces, I thought 'what the heck' might as well have a waterpik and have all the equipment for a great result !! :D :D :D