For all you nut lovers...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amyhenna

For all you nut lovers...

#1 Post by amyhenna »

If you're like me, your orthodontist gave you a list of foods you can't eat until your teeth are out of traction :-)

I'm okay with no Snickers, no candy apples (how often does anyone eat those anyway??), no sticky candy, blah blah blah

But when I saw no nuts...I was like, "Uh...killing off my tastiest protein source?" :Questions:

So I thought about it. And then I tried something. And I figured out I can do nuts...if I beat them up in a food processor first :-+

And it's GOOD!! So to anyone who misses nut flavor, I would like to present this awesome recipe:
1. put a handful of nuts in the food processor. Let them whirl around until they are dust
2. add another handful of dates, and let these mix up with the nut dust
3. put this stuff in a bowl and set it aside
4. put an apple (I suggest Pink Lady variety) into the food processor until it's a bunch of shreds
5. put the apple on top of the date/nut dust mix

Find a spoon and ENJOY. yummm
warning: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! :-*
And no chewing required... :gavel:

isthistaken

Re: For all you nut lovers...

#2 Post by isthistaken »

Poor almond growers, I was one of their best customers. This would be good on Cream of Wheat but I got bored of CoW and quit eating it weeks ago! :(

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Wow, I eat nuts all the time!

I really don't fully understand why we aren't supposed to eat certain things...I understand that we can break stuff but I don't eat foods with the sides of my teeth, we use the flat part...know what I mean?

Tobilei

#4 Post by Tobilei »

I eat nuts too, but I LOVE nut butters. A teaspoon of almond butter on top of hot oats is amazing.

Ciara

#5 Post by Ciara »

I eat lots of boiled chestnuts and I grind almonds and cashew nuts. The all taste great!

Ciara

#6 Post by Ciara »

Snowglobe32 wrote:Wow, I eat nuts all the time!

I really don't fully understand why we aren't supposed to eat certain things...I understand that we can break stuff but I don't eat foods with the sides of my teeth, we use the flat part...know what I mean?

I badly bent my arch wire when I was a teenager doing that. A small piece of almond got stuck between my bracket and tooth. It was very hard and as I was trying to dislodge it, it bent the archwire. I had to get it changed.
My friend here broke off 2 brackets eating almonds about a week ago. She too was chewing with the chewing surfaces of her back molars, or at least she thought she was, until she realized that 2 brackets had come loose. She felt a bit of an idiot explaining how it happened to her ortho, specially when he said it was usually only his teenage patients disregarded his eating instructions. She is 57.

LizamasLlama

#7 Post by LizamasLlama »

Sounds like a good idea. I will try this if I'm ever craving some almonds haha.

catphones

#8 Post by catphones »

Sounds like it'll make a great snack. Thanks for sharing, amyhenna!

And I'll have to second the nut butters :) They're so delicious, and can be used to spruce up alot of recipes