Beginning treatment to improve open bite.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

Re: Beginning treatment to improve open bite.

#91 Post by Anna5 »

Your progress is AMAZING, Andy. I think it is a MIRACLE! Your open bite is almost completely closed and your teeth look really good. What an amazing difference! I hope your ortho can correct your crossbite as well. On your pictures your crossbite is not very apparant, your teeth look just good. I am so happy for you!
That is great that you only have another 5-6 monhts of treatment to go. You will be so happy when you are done! I hope your results will be stable. I think your case gives very good hope for anybody who refuses surgery, even without surgery you can get very great results. I think you made the right choice.
I wish you very good luck with the last part of your treatment.

ajs604

#92 Post by ajs604 »

Thanks Anna, its been a long road, but things are looking far more promising than I orginally thought :)
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

SpottedPickle

#93 Post by SpottedPickle »

Looking like things are going well! I am glad that you are getting more progress than you had hoped for!

ajs604

#94 Post by ajs604 »

Thank you SpottedPickle!

1st adjustment 2/07/13

ajs604

#95 Post by ajs604 »

Here is an update now of what my bite looks like since starting treatment 20 months ago. I have had the TAD's removed from my upper pallet just over 1 month ago and prior to that I had the activation device removed one month earlier. So far the bite has remained stable and I am now feeling much more optermistic. I have been advised that I am now ending treatment and am now using elastics for fine tuning. I would appreciate any comments. The orthodonist is very happy with my progress as they did not expect to achieve full closure of my bite. I can now eat much better, for the first time in years I can actually chew without having to use my tongue for assistance. I no longer have TMJ pain and used to get migraines which have since stopped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

BeautifulDisaster

#96 Post by BeautifulDisaster »

Congratulations. Those are great results, especially since they were achieved without surgery!
Do you know how much longer you'll be in braces?

27 year old female
Traditional braces: clear uppers, metal lowers
Expected treatment time: 24 months
Brace story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=47574

Anna5

#97 Post by Anna5 »

Yes, this is a really great result and how wonderful that this was achieved without surgery!
Your ortho must be very competent!

Your teeth look great. Maybe they can make your bite a bit more level with the elastics and then you are done!

ajs604

#98 Post by ajs604 »

Hi, I have been told that I should be done by May. I agree I could do with being a bit more level, then I will be done. Thanks all.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

#99 Post by Anna5 »

Hello,

That is great that you will be done by May! I hope the ortho can make your bite a bit more level. I think this is possible with elastics. And I was wondering, do you still have a crossbite or did your ortho managed already fixed this? I don't see a crossbite in your pictures, your teeth really look great, they just need some little fine tuning before you are done.
Good luck with the last part of your treatment!

Greetings from Anna

ajs604

#100 Post by ajs604 »

Hi Anna,

No they fixed the cross bite with elastics, so all the teeth fit nicely together now. Both second teeth from the back do not touch (all others do), apparently this is standard procedure when correcting an open bite whether done surgically or with braces. So far the bite is stable and too be honest I have slacked on the elastics lately, but everything seems to remain stable, so at this stage I feel confident. I will mention to the ortho at my next visit (next week) at making the bite more level.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

oimysizex

#101 Post by oimysizex »

I have just read through this whole thread, i am ASTONISHED at how on earth your ortho had achieved that without surgery!!
Your teeth look GREAT :)

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Anna5

#102 Post by Anna5 »

I completely agree with oimysizex. Your ortho deserves a great award!

ajs604

#103 Post by ajs604 »

Yes, I am AMAZED as well!! They said they are going to write a paper on me as part of their professional development. I have to say at times I lacked faith in them but I agree that they have done a fantastic job and I have got much more improvement that they predicted. Looks like I will have a 95% improvement which i am happy with!

1st adjustment 2/07/13

oimysizex

#104 Post by oimysizex »

You should be very very very happy, I have just had surgery and even my bite doesn't look that good!
I am well jealous of your bite it looks so good. I'm glad you stuck to your guns and opted out of surgery route!!

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

ajs604

#105 Post by ajs604 »

I have just read some of your posts about your surgery! I wish you a speedy recovery! Do they use TAD's in the UK? I am actually from the UK orginally but migrated to Aus a few years back. I had to do a lot of research to find an orthodontist here that would do it and even then they were reluctant. I am so glad I pushed them and did not go the surgical route as I have a phobia of hospitals.

1st adjustment 2/07/13