Beginning treatment to improve open bite.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ajs604

Beginning treatment to improve open bite.

#1 Post by ajs604 »

Hi all my name is Andy. After much procrastinating and research I have decided to start treatment to hopefully improve my open bite non surgically. I have had an open bite all my life and up until recently it never bothered me although as I have gotten older I have become more conscious about it. My issues are as follows:
Anterior Open bite 5-6mm
Cross bite
Crowding at front incisors.

I have seen 3 orthodontist all accept one have recommended surgery. However, after doing lots of research and watching the procedure I have decided this is not something I want to submit too. I would rather like with my open bite. The procedure looks barbaric and is not something I wish to pursue. I have been offered this new technique using TADs which will hopefully introduce the rear molars and hopefully close or if not improve my bite. I start treatment tomorrow and the orthodontist is placing some spacers in for about 10 days. I will then have braces put on and a dental appliance to attach elastics to the TADs. I am nervous about how this will affect my apperance so have opted for clear braces on top and metal on the bottom teeth. I wanted to share the journey with others as I am confident this will improve my open bite. I have posted a picture I what my bite is like presently. I am writing on my phone so apologies for any grammar errors. I will post an update tomorrow one I have the spacers on. Thanks all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

Re: Beginning treatment to improve open bite.

#2 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Andy!

I wish you very good luck with your treatment! I hope that your ortho will be able to fix or at least improve your open bite non surgically.
I also have an open bite, unilateral crossbite and crowding and also hope to improve my bite non surgically. I have been in braces for 6 weeks now and I am already seeing some changes, so that is very exciting!
Once again, I wish you very good luck, please keep us updated!

bmueller

#3 Post by bmueller »

Good luck! I've heard great things about using TADS! Keep us posted on your improvements.

futurefbi07

#4 Post by futurefbi07 »

Good luck with your treatment!

Ciara

#5 Post by Ciara »

Good luck! I too have heard great things about TADs. Hope your ortho will be able to intrude your molars.

Kipepeo

#6 Post by Kipepeo »

I look forward to following your progress.

ajs604

#7 Post by ajs604 »

Good morning all,

Thank you for your kind words. I just cant wait to get on with treatment. I have the spacers put in this afternoon and I have heard that this is more epainful than braces. So I have got stocked up with plently of neurofen.

I am hopefull that this treatment will work. I have not been promised perfection but improvement is all I want. I have followed several others on here that have had complete closures with a bite similar to me. Anyway will update once I have the spacers put in. Please feel free to ask any questions!!

Thanks

1st adjustment 2/07/13

ajs604

#8 Post by ajs604 »

Hi all had the spacers added to the upper molars today. Was in and out of the ortho office in five minutes. Took some Neurofen before having them added but as yet feel no discomfort. All I can feel is a small amount of pressure. Go back next Thursday to have the upper clear braces fixed in place and having the TADs inserted. Think they are also taking molds for the dental appliance which will be fixed in my upper pallet. This will be added at the third appointment when the lower braces will be fixed. I am glad I am having all the hardware inserted over a period so my mouth does not feel overwhelmed. Anyway that's all for now will send an update soon. Feel free to ask any questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

Ciara

#9 Post by Ciara »

ajs604 wrote:Good morning all,

Thank you for your kind words. I just cant wait to get on with treatment. I have the spacers put in this afternoon and I have heard that this is more epainful than braces. So I have got stocked up with plently of neurofen.

I am hopefull that this treatment will work. I have not been promised perfection but improvement is all I want. I have followed several others on here that have had complete closures with a bite similar to me. Anyway will update once I have the spacers put in. Please feel free to ask any questions!!

Thanks
I had spacers for 3 weeks and had no pain but they created lots of space. I've also had no pain with braces. I guess I'm just lucky!

SunshineRay

#10 Post by SunshineRay »

Good luck!

amyhenna

#11 Post by amyhenna »

Does an open bite mean that your teeth don't come together when you chew? If so, how do you eat? My teeth don't come together now that I have braces! :P But I'm assuming that my end state will include the "chew" function 8)

In the mean time, I've become best buddies with the food processor & my new friend the Nutri-Bullet, which liquifies vegetables so I can drink them. :rose:

kreyFL

#12 Post by kreyFL »

Hi there! I just wanted to chime in right quick as I had a 4mm open bite as well. I also had downward sloping on my left side (not quite a cross bite) and over crowding.

You can check out my before and after pics by searching for my username.

On my consultation I was left so confused as my ortho mentioned that I may benefit from surgery, or maybe we could get by with loop wires (this was brought up so many times during my treatment - will we, wont we, today we might) - but in the end aggressive treatment and a whole lot of elastics sorted me out. Honestly, I had a bit of an open bite when I went to get my braces off and was a little disappointed. I was always looking up in the mirror to see my open bite progress. Well, once they were removed it was like the last little bit closed right up. I did choose Essix retainers as my ortho felt these would help the most with keeping my open bite from returning.

You are still pretty early into treatment but definitely discuss retainers and open bites and what your ortho feels is best.

Although my ortho decided on the "lets wait and see" route and I was often left in the dark about what might happen at my next adjustment, this seemed to be the best approach with my open bite - which I did end up finding out is like the most frustrating thing for orthos to sort out.

I know your results will be awesome - regardless of what treatment route you take. But remember, you have a say as well and only have to pursue treatment options you are comfortable with. Expect to get frustrated when new teeth start hitting! (Ugh makes my eye twitch just thinking about it) :lol:

However, the greatest thing in the world is that I can now open a packet of ketchup with my front teeth (not that I do, it's just awesome that I can if I want to) - something I know you will be just amazed about as I was.

ajs604

#13 Post by ajs604 »

amyhenna wrote:Does an open bite mean that your teeth don't come together when you chew? If so, how do you eat? My teeth don't come together now that I have braces! :P But I'm assuming that my end state will include the "chew" function 8)

In the mean time, I've become best buddies with the food processor & my new friend the Nutri-Bullet, which liquifies vegetables so I can drink them. :rose:

Hi, thanks for your posts and kidn words everyone.

@ amyhenna - an open bite is when your top and bottom teeth do not meet when you try and close your jaw. There are different degrees of severity. Mine is quite severe only my two last molars are in contact. I have never had a problem eating, think it is something you adapt too and I have had it since I have been about 11 and am now 30. I use my tongue a lot to push food against my teeth. No one has ever noticed my 'open bite' its only something that you notice if you point it out!

Thanks for your post

1st adjustment 2/07/13

ajs604

#14 Post by ajs604 »

kreyFL wrote:Hi there! I just wanted to chime in right quick as I had a 4mm open bite as well. I also had downward sloping on my left side (not quite a cross bite) and over crowding.

You can check out my before and after pics by searching for my username.

On my consultation I was left so confused as my ortho mentioned that I may benefit from surgery, or maybe we could get by with loop wires (this was brought up so many times during my treatment - will we, wont we, today we might) - but in the end aggressive treatment and a whole lot of elastics sorted me out. Honestly, I had a bit of an open bite when I went to get my braces off and was a little disappointed. I was always looking up in the mirror to see my open bite progress. Well, once they were removed it was like the last little bit closed right up. I did choose Essix retainers as my ortho felt these would help the most with keeping my open bite from returning.

You are still pretty early into treatment but definitely discuss retainers and open bites and what your ortho feels is best.

Although my ortho decided on the "lets wait and see" route and I was often left in the dark about what might happen at my next adjustment, this seemed to be the best approach with my open bite - which I did end up finding out is like the most frustrating thing for orthos to sort out.

I know your results will be awesome - regardless of what treatment route you take. But remember, you have a say as well and only have to pursue treatment options you are comfortable with. Expect to get frustrated when new teeth start hitting! (Ugh makes my eye twitch just thinking about it) :lol:

However, the greatest thing in the world is that I can now open a packet of ketchup with my front teeth (not that I do, it's just awesome that I can if I want to) - something I know you will be just amazed about as I was.
Hi, thanks for your post!! The orthodontist intially suggested surgery but when I said no way they offered me this instead. They have said they expect to get a reduction in my open bite but not a full closures. Seems a bit like you and the kind of lets wait and see! I am happy with any improvement. I have seen people on here with a similar bite get closure and good results so I am just keeping an open mind and am going to ride with it. I think my orthodontist does seem a bit intimidated by me though as I am a health professional so I am questioning a lot of there actions, but I suppose thats a good thing. I tried to look at your before and after photos by searching your username, but all I saw where your posts. Do you have a link. I have been on here a while but only recently started using the forum more since I started treatment. Thanks for your words of surpport btw :D

1st adjustment 2/07/13

kreyFL

#15 Post by kreyFL »

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=43251

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=39243

Sorry no real great pics of the open bite, it actually doesn't look too bad in those pics :? . But it was, I promise. Almost 3mm on the right side and almost 4mm on the left :shock:

Egh, I hate looking at my old teeth pics. I tell you what - braces have literally changed my perspective on how I take care of myself, and learning to prioritize ME and not feel so damn guilty about it.

Anyway, they will be awesome and I think they will close up way more than you think. The only snag I had was something called root prominence. Because my ortho was so aggressive with elastics, I had these (not painful) bumps on my gumline above 3 teeth. Big bumps! Scared the hell outta me, but my elastics were just pulling that tooth down so hard that the roots started to push out into my gums, easily fixed but it delayed my treatment by 3 weeks.

I think it has something to do with open bites and our bone plates - so that might be worth mentioning. :wink: