Overjet getting bigger...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beckyboo0205

Overjet getting bigger...

#1 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I've had my braces on now for 6 weeks... the same wire the whole time. I just noticed yesterday that it sorta seems like my upper arch sticks out over my bottom more (making more of an overjet. I think it's overjet and not overbite.)

My upper canine teeth have come in a bit so I thought maybe this caused my teeth to look more... "overjetted." (I know that's not a word.) But my gap hasn't closed any... I am supposed to have elastics to move my bottom teeth back some to close that upper gap but is it possible that my teeth are somehow doing this without the elastics?

Has anyone else had their overjet get bigger? It wasn't big to begin with... I think just a few millimeters I think but I'm pretty sure when I got my braces put on, my upper teeth hit right on top of my braces (hence putting on the bite things on the backs of my upper fronts) but now it looks like my upper teeth now are even with the front of my bottom braces.

KatrinkaNoir

Re: Overjet getting bigger...

#2 Post by KatrinkaNoir »

Where to begin...I've had mine for 9weeks and so far my teeth have gotten sort of wonkier and sort of better at the same time. I have a gap between my front teeth which I never had before. Needless to say, I answer phones at a place with a lot of s sounds in the name and the wind flowing between the gap and over the wire is giving me the most awesome lisp! Dork show! :shock: So, here's hoping we both start to see the teeth getting better after getting worse :tingrin:

beckyboo0205

#3 Post by beckyboo0205 »

HA I have a gap to begin with and I have a crazy "F" whistle. Anytime I say words with a F I hear it and sometimes even stop to go "Phhh... Phhhh..." just to do the whistle.

amyhenna

#4 Post by amyhenna »

I've got a bad case of the f's too!~!

I tried "v" and "s", thinking they'd be the same (f, v, and s are all fricatives) but it's only my F that whistles. I have a coworker who's constantly saying "f/u", and that's all well and good for him and his titanium-free teeth, but I think if I were to say it back it, it would only make everyone laugh. :rawk:

( He says he's happy the shortened version of that phrase came out with only letters, because now he can say it whenever he wants to. And he does. :roll: :? 8) :lol: 8) )

Kezza

#5 Post by Kezza »

Tell me about it!! My front right incisor has rotated out a bit more since getting my braces put on 2 weeks ago...I thought things would improve to begin with, not get worse!! :( I'm so down about it....I was soooo looking forward to getting braces but at the moment I'm hating them! I was thinking of contacting my Ortho about it before my first adjustment in 3 weeks time...I'm thinking a pre molar on the upper right might have to come out before this tooth can straighten up.... :shock: Everything that I've read says that sometimes teeth look worse before getting better...I'm trying to be patient but it's so hard right now! :ThumbsDown:
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

kreyFL

#6 Post by kreyFL »

My special word was CHEESE lol

My open bite made the CH sound so hard to do - it wasn't until I was in my braces for about a year that I could say Cheese comfortably.

Honestly, there were so many times I thought my ortho was just awful. Surely my teeth shouldn't look WORSE!?!?! Sadly, the ol' saying "it gets worse before it gets better" is so true. I had gaps and weird things going on right up until a few weeks before my braces were removed.

Just know this - it is short lived. These orthos know what they are doing and it all happens in stages. Wait a few months and that overjet will start getting better...and better...and better. I think the first time I "saw the light" was about 7 months into treatment - and that light dimmed quickly, lol

:thumbsup:

oldfart

#7 Post by oldfart »

Overjet here being increased also. Have had one adjustment, with next one next week. Think its normal. Will be asking about it.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Tobilei

#8 Post by Tobilei »

I don't have an overjet (didn't to begin with) but I have developed a deeper bite since moving my back molar which means my top teeth are currently touching the bottom brackets when I close my bite. My ortho told me things like this are normal and it will settle once the teeth are in their correct positions :)

As for the whistling, I hear you! I *still* have a whistle sometimes when I say my 's' sound and oh boy, what a whistle it is!

beckyboo0205

#9 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I guess I'm not really that worried... I just think it's weird. How did it even happen!? I don't have elastics or anything... Not that much has moved.

Yeah Oldfart, let me know what they say about it!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#10 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Mine got bigger for a month or two. But it's better now that my braces are off.
Jenn Medeiros