The waiting room

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

djspeece

Re: The waiting room

#31 Post by djspeece »

oldfart wrote:"I probably should wear pants to my appointments."

As opposed to what alternative? Not wearing pants?

of
Yeah, it was supposed to be a joke but apparently the humor was lost in translation.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

isthistaken

#32 Post by isthistaken »

:huh:

oldfart

#33 Post by oldfart »

debinator wrote:I don't think I will ever be mistaken for a high schooler since I am 50 years old and have silver hair :-*

But i am the coolest 50 year old ever- just ask my karate students :D

TaeKwonDo instructor here. :)
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

debinator

#34 Post by debinator »

Right on Oldfart :thumbsup:
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

amyhenna

#35 Post by amyhenna »

I have noticed the parents in the waiting room, slumped in their chair, and always feel bad for them that they're not personally getting anything out of the visit. Their kid is progressing with their teeth, I'm there to progress with my teeth, but all they get is a big time suck to go along with the bill they're surely paying, since their kids don't look financially able to handle their own braces costs.

The parents always look like they've nearly had the life sucked out of them. If they look at me, I assume it's because they're trying to figure out how someone their age can still look so alive :-)

kiwibug

#36 Post by kiwibug »

I'm one of very few adults, but it doesn't bother me. I can't get in before 3, so always have afternoon appointments when the waiting room is packed. I've had a few morning appointments when there was hardly anyone there, but being self employed I can't get there until after I finish work for the day

Alisonpv

#37 Post by Alisonpv »

isthistaken wrote:I'm trying to get my husband to go with me and be my Daddy. :roll:
I was at my first consult, and the treatment manager (in all seriousness!) Asked if my fiancee was my Dad! Given, I am 32, and he is 48 so there is an age difference between us, AND I look a bit young... But STILL!

Poor girl was so embarrassed when I said he and I were getting married this June! :)

I did call him DAD through the whole appointment. :wink:

I got my braces on June 21, 2013

marybee

#38 Post by marybee »

I normally get early morning...no teen like to be there at 8am!

CountessDeSangre

#39 Post by CountessDeSangre »

I'm a little lucky in that I'm not surrounded by teens and tweens in the waiting room. My orthodontist's office is shared so there is also a periodontist floating around. Regardless I usually schedule my appointments around 11-12pm so that most of the younger crowd are still in school.

On the other hand I don't particularly look my age anyway. Prior to braces, if I were to walk by my old high school the security guards would yell at me to get to class (even though I graduated 7 years ago). Now add in the braces you could probably take another year or two off my appearance.

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

NeilH

#40 Post by NeilH »

isthistaken wrote:I have nothing against young people and if they want to copy us "mature" individuals and get braces I have no problem with that. :crazy:
LOL. I don't have an issue with attending appointments with young people around. It would be good to talk to other adults but no doubt will get the opportunity over the next couple of years.

OldBikerBag

#41 Post by OldBikerBag »

Alisonpv, Isthistaken, you girls are so bad....

Oldfart....so that was you sitting across the room from me ..*lascivious leer* You, sir, may go sans pants any time you wish.

I like being in the waiting room with the kids. I get to wag my finger and tell them towear their retainers. My orthodontist has a reward program where you accrue points for on-time visits, good checkups and the like. Each time, I pick out a random kid and donate my points to him or her.
385 Days in Damon Braces

debinator

#42 Post by debinator »

My Ortho offers a reward system too- wooden nickels lots earned for compliance- They can be turned in for i-Tunes :) I'm not giving my nickels up- no siree! I like i-Tunes :-*
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

mehogeni

#43 Post by mehogeni »

My ortho's waiting room has a seperate playroom with an X-box in it

I know the room is supposed to be for kids and all but he should have put a lesser console in there. Plus it seems so adult friendly with the dark blues and blacks, almost like a arcade. My fingers always itch to run in there and play something but a kid usually has it taken over already....... :?