The waiting room

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kezza

Re: The waiting room

#16 Post by Kezza »

isthistaken wrote:I'm trying to get my husband to go with me and be my Daddy. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to call my husband 'Daddy' next time he comes with me....but knowing him he'd probably announce to the whole waiting room that I'm 40 this year.... :evil:
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

djspeece

#17 Post by djspeece »

On my last visit there was a Mom in the waiting room with her daughter, and after the daughter got called in for her appointment the Mom started chatting it up about something or the other; I wasn't paying close attention. Most of the time they keep their distance or are talk with the other Moms and try to impress each other with what their kids are doing.
I probably should wear pants to my appointments.
Just kidding, of course.
Dan
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

oldfart

#18 Post by oldfart »

"I probably should wear pants to my appointments."

As opposed to what alternative? Not wearing pants?

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Ciara

#19 Post by Ciara »

bmueller wrote:My orthodontist schedules adults for the day and kids for after school times. So I've never had to deal with any kids. Once I stopped by for something at 3 pm and it was like a zoo! The environment was totally different.

It's kinda cool because then the only people I come in contact with are other adults and then we start comparing stories.
My ortho does this too. Adults come in during the day or late in the evening. Kids and teenagers are usually from about 3.30-5.30pm.

Zaera

#20 Post by Zaera »

I go at 8:30am once a month and I've only ever seen two other adults and they're Invisalign patients. I do feel sort of awkward lying in a chair in the room with 2 other kids sometimes. :)

isthistaken

#21 Post by isthistaken »

LOL :lol:

debinator

#22 Post by debinator »

I guess it's a good thing I am a kid at heart! :mrgreen:

I know my ortho has other adult patients, I have just never seen one when I am there LOL.
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

NICURN85

#23 Post by NICURN85 »

My appointments are usually on a Tuesday or Thursday around 10 and most of the kids are in school. I mostly see the smaller kids (7-12), but I went in on a Friday once to pay my bill and oh my the office was full of kids. I made a mental note to never make my appointment on a Friday unless its my last resort. I may end up seeing more teens and kids soon as school will be out for the summer soon!! We shall see. I know my ortho has a fair amount of adult patients but I hardly see them so I guess they may come after work in the evenings as I usually go in the mornings because I work night shift. It usually doesn't bother me seeing the kids/teens as I am 27 going on 28 and always get mistaken for a high schooler. I have had parents at the ortho some days ask me if I was out of school the reason I was there so early.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

debinator

#24 Post by debinator »

I don't think I will ever be mistaken for a high schooler since I am 50 years old and have silver hair :-*

But i am the coolest 50 year old ever- just ask my karate students :D
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Kipepeo

#25 Post by Kipepeo »

BracesChick wrote:Yes I HATE this! At the office I go to, most of the kids are under 12! It's so annoying because even the paperwork is directed toward parents. When I called to make an appointment to get my ligs changed, they asked me what time I got out of school!
For the longest time, the scheduler would ask me at the end of my appt if I needed a note to return to work. Twice I had to ask what she meant by this.

But I don't feel awkward around kids. I'm still a kid, even though I'm 49. The kids I've seen don't talk at all, and they just play on their phones. They just want to get in and out.

isthistaken

#26 Post by isthistaken »

I have nothing against young people and if they want to copy us "mature" individuals and get braces I have no problem with that. :crazy:

TMJJill

#27 Post by TMJJill »

My orthodontist sees patients of all ages, but I typically see mostly adults when I go. Most of my appointments are in late afternoon too. There are a lot of adults out there with TMJD issues and dental issues that require orthodontics and specialized treatments.

The waiting room for my orthodontist reflects all ages served. They have the computer game systems, basket of toys, pictures of former patients, and tons of books on dental health-- eating healthy/nutrition, eliminating mercury in the mouth, tmj, root canal concerns, biomodulation, etc...

Honestly, I hadn't considered being in the environment that many of you are in for your visits.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Sita

#28 Post by Sita »

Always. I know there are other adults in town with braces and on occasion I have even had a rare sighting of one in the orthos office. But most of the time it's me in the waiting room with the parents all giving me funny looks and then pretending they weren't staring when I turn and look them in the eye. I don't think the kids have ever noticed me. They're too busy playing with their phones.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

AdultGettingBraces

#29 Post by AdultGettingBraces »

I don't mind the waiting room, its mainly older teens where I am. The thing I really don't like is, well my ortho operates the 2 chairs in a larger room and goes back and forward between patients, which is fine. It is when the teens parent and usually younger siblings etc all feel the need to join the 15-17 year old teen in the room because then it gets crowded and just that little bit awkward.

That said the whole office is fairly neutral. No toys or childrens posters etc up, usually just tv set to a news channel so its fine.

The first few appointments I got asked things like "so will your parents be paying" "are you here by yourself" and the forms are pretty much designed for a parent to fill out on the behalf of their child.

SunshineRay

#30 Post by SunshineRay »

AdultGettingBraces wrote:I don't mind the waiting room, its mainly older teens where I am. The thing I really don't like is, well my ortho operates the 2 chairs in a larger room and goes back and forward between patients, which is fine. It is when the teens parent and usually younger siblings etc all feel the need to join the 15-17 year old teen in the room because then it gets crowded and just that little bit awkward.

That said the whole office is fairly neutral. No toys or childrens posters etc up, usually just tv set to a news channel so its fine.

The first few appointments I got asked things like "so will your parents be paying" "are you here by yourself" and the forms are pretty much designed for a parent to fill out on the behalf of their child.
Oh good point about the room with chairs and the ortho moving back and forth. I did see this last week where the parents were sitting there watching the kids get worked on. Hmmm I must make mid-day appts!