One month in!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jmjohnson317

One month in!

#1 Post by jmjohnson317 »

Everything I've been told is a lie!

Everyone I talked to said the first adjustment sucks but is not nearly as bad as when they put the braces on.
What a total lie! Haha
Today was my one month adjustment and I have never been in such pain in my entire life.
There was so much pushing and pulling and my teeth were already so sore, I thought they were going to fall out... Here's to the second month! :?

Tobilei

Re: One month in!

#2 Post by Tobilei »

Aww no :( My first adjustment was as bad as when I got them on too! I'm pretty sure I complained about it in my blog. I was almost 2 months in already too so I didn't think it would be real bad. My 3rd adjustment barely hurt at all and my 4th hurt for a couple of days but really wasn't as bad as the initial getting them on and 1st adjustment. Hang in there, some adjustments do get better!

Ciara

#3 Post by Ciara »

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it gets better for you. My adjustments are painless and I've never been in any pain afterwards either - I seem to by lucky.

jmjohnson317

#4 Post by jmjohnson317 »

Yeah there's no pain afterwards for me, my teeth are used to the pressure of the braces, it actually hurt when they took the wire out and that constant pressure was gone.
But what hurt was all the pushing and pulling on my teeth to get all the ligs off the brackets, they kept apologizing cause I was visually in pain, it was the worst.

MrsCharisma

#5 Post by MrsCharisma »

I'm sorry! :(

My adjustments haven't hurt either. That initial pressure is like...woah. But I haven't had any pain. So far, the worst pain I've had was with spacers!!!!! Grrr.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

djss16

#6 Post by djss16 »

I've heard about the pain but I don't know yet since I just got my braces today. I will know how bad it hurts by tomorrow. :D Hope you adjust to the pain soon.

beckyboo0205

#7 Post by beckyboo0205 »

EKK I have my first adjustment in a few days! Don't scare me man!

marybee

#8 Post by marybee »

Don't be scared, just take ibuprofen before you go to the orthodontist and put some lip balm on your lips. There were times in the beginning when my lips would dry out from all the work they were doing and that sometimes was worse than the treatment on my teeth.

Lizzie365

#9 Post by Lizzie365 »

My first two adjustments were fine, there was pressure when the new wire was put on and new ligs put on and my teeth were sore for a few days but it soon settles down.

My latest adjustment has been a bit worse, I've had a coil added to my wire so there is a lot of added pressure and extra soreness.

It will all be worth it!! :-*

isthistaken

#10 Post by isthistaken »

That sounds like when I got a chain recently. Literally, it was like labor pain, so guys, now you know (mulitply by like a thousand times though.)

jmjohnson317

#11 Post by jmjohnson317 »

My teeth are all very weird and gapped so I've had powerchains and coils from the beginning, chains in the back to pull my molars together and coils on either side of my two front teeth to make room for teeth that are pushed back to come forward. I don't know anything different haha.

BracesChick

#12 Post by BracesChick »

I'm the same as you. My first adjustment was WORSE then getting the braces on. So much PUSHING and PULLING!!! I felt like I really made the ortho assistant mad and she was taking revenge on me! Now I'm defiantly not as sore day later like I was when I got the braces on. When I got braces I was in pain for a week. I got my first adjustment on Tuesday, and I'm still sore, but not as bad.

Leebie3

#13 Post by Leebie3 »

I got ONE tooth adjusted yesterday and needed pain killers (panadol and nurofen) today! But I'm a big wuss with pain.. Am hoping I'm one of those lucky ones who have no pain after jaw surgery. Lol

beckyboo0205

#14 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Ok I had my first adjustment today and while I didn't have any pain, I can TOTALLY understand how you could be in pain! There was alot of pushing and pulling and I was really worried once she got around to a few teeth that were sore going into the appointment. But thankfully it didn't hurt. No real different pain now either... One of my canines hurt for a little while but isn't very bad now. They didn't change my wire or really do anything but push and pull.

quentin

#15 Post by quentin »

Oh no! Sorry to hear that... :|

It seems like those of us with self-ligating braces have it easier with adjustments? For me, the pressure from the RDA opening my Damon Clear brackets to be the worst part of the "adjustment" (which took all of 15 mins). My wires were upped in thickness so my teeth felt sore and achy for the first few days afterwards, but nothing that painkillers didn't fix.

I agree with above post about taking painkillers + generous slathering of lip balm prior to your adjustment! Hang in there!
Braced: 11 Feb 2013
Debraced: 13 Aug 2014
Expected duration: 24 months
Actual duration: 18 months
Damon Clear uppers (all); Damon metal lowers
http://fullmetalpanda.wordpress.com/