Want braces, but fear is getting the best of me.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmBee

Re: Want braces, but fear is getting the best of me.

#31 Post by EmBee »

The first few days after I got my braces on, I felt like I had a huge neon sign on my forehead pointing straight to my mouth saying HEY LOOK GUYS LOOK WHO GOT BRACES! But it didn't take long to realize it was mostly a mental thing. Braces are quite a mouthful when you aren't used to them, so it FEELS like they should be as noticeable to others as they are to you. But for the most part, the only people who noticed them were people who already knew I was getting them :) And if someone did notice, it was usually other people who have/have had braces and the comments mostly consisted of "Way to go girl! Good for you!" I have clear ceramics on top and metal on the bottom.

Edit to add: What took getting used to for me was just having all this STUFF in your mouth that wasn't there before. I have spacers, brackets on top and bottom, and buildups on my back molars, and the first few days I wasn't quite sure what to do with my tongue or my lips :lol: There were only a few places that were pokey (wax fixed that right up) and my mouth was kind of dry for the first few days while my lips got accustomed to having constant contact with the braces. Mostly it was just getting used to the sensations that hadn't been there before. But the human body is amazingly adaptable to things, and now that I'm about 4 weeks in I barely notice the braces anymore, unless I start thinking too hard about them :roll:

djspeece

#32 Post by djspeece »

You'll be judged, no doubt. Just like you already are a million times a day by strangers and family. If that is paralyzing you at this point, please sit down with them individually or in small groups to explore the issue. Same with your most precious friends. What would they think? Explain you are getting braces to correct a multiple of issues, would they be supportive? A lot of people would poo-poo this approach but it seems clear that this is a very important issue to you.

You can't worry about strangers though. So many whacked-out people out there. I get judged for the car I drive. Sometimes good, sometimes simple negative envy. As a nurse, I get judged as soon as I tell people that. As a naval officer I was judged. And I judged. I sometimes make difficult decisions at work, am judged for that. The whole point is that you decide what is important to you and find the courage to move forward with your fears and insecurities. It would be great to be loved and supported by the entire world, but that of course is not going to happen. Come back here and tell us how you are doing. We will always listen. Be bold. Make your move. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. Most of us had second, third, and fourth doubts. It's normal. Just don't let others dictate how you live your life. Your loved ones will always be there for you. No one else really matters.

Getting braces in the scheme of thing is a small thing. Please don't lose perspective. It's weird to walk around with them for the first few weeks, but it gradually gets better. I was truly bummed when I left the ortho's office. Of course the girls behind the desk telling me good I looked told me I indeed looked hideous. OK maybe I am a little overly dramatic.
This endeth today's sermon. Good luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

SunshineRay

#33 Post by SunshineRay »

djspeece wrote:You'll be judged, no doubt. Just like you already are a million times a day by strangers and family. If that is paralyzing you at this point, please sit down with them individually or in small groups to explore the issue. Same with your most precious friends. What would they think? Explain you are getting braces to correct a multiple of issues, would they be supportive? A lot of people would poo-poo this approach but it seems clear that this is a very important issue to you.

You can't worry about strangers though. So many whacked-out people out there. I get judged for the car I drive. Sometimes good, sometimes simple negative envy. As a nurse, I get judged as soon as I tell people that. As a naval officer I was judged. And I judged. I sometimes make difficult decisions at work, am judged for that. The whole point is that you decide what is important to you and find the courage to move forward with your fears and insecurities. It would be great to be loved and supported by the entire world, but that of course is not going to happen. Come back here and tell us how you are doing. We will always listen. Be bold. Make your move. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. Most of us had second, third, and fourth doubts. It's normal. Just don't let others dictate how you live your life. Your loved ones will always be there for you. No one else really matters.

Getting braces in the scheme of thing is a small thing. Please don't lose perspective. It's weird to walk around with them for the first few weeks, but it gradually gets better. I was truly bummed when I left the ortho's office. Of course the girls behind the desk telling me good I looked told me I indeed looked hideous. OK maybe I am a little overly dramatic.
You always write such good posts, Dan!

kids041

#34 Post by kids041 »

Tqz wrote:I will probably get metal braces. As you can see from above, I originally started with invisalign, but it didnt really do what I expected.

Everyone always talks about the first few days, but I think that is my biggest fear. What does it actually feel like for those first few days. What are you actually getting used to? Sure you get used to most anything after a while, glasses, contacts, etc... Never having braces before, I dont know what to expect.
Well for me- What I was really getting used to:
1. scratchy things on my teeth.
2. What to do with my lips when I smile, then stop. Putting my lips back over my braces.
3. talking too much, and getting the insides of my lips a bit sore
4. how to apply wax
5. how to floss, brush, and get food out of my brackets/wires
6. What I can and can't eat easily with braces
7. the amount of time it actually takes to eat
8. the amount of effort it takes to keep them clean and free of the food you just spent an hour eating ;)
9. the tightness my teeth feel/ pressure on them
10. the random pain I feel in a tooth, only to realize that it is NOW in a different tooth. Mobile pain
These are just a few things that I have had to deal with this past week..
I hope that helps :)

kathydell

#35 Post by kathydell »

Kids041 caught just about everything you feel within the first couple of weeks - and I would add the idea that there was a point of no return where I could actually see myself having them removed within a certain timeframe if I couldn't get used to them. So glad I stuck it out because what is missing from the list is the feeling of confidence that you can tough it out to do something positive for yourself and the excitement every time you look in the mirror and see an improvement. Having braces at 47 is nothing compared to being embarassed to smile because of crooked teeth for most of my adult life.

kids041

#36 Post by kids041 »

kathydell wrote:Kids041 caught just about everything you feel within the first couple of weeks - and I would add the idea that there was a point of no return where I could actually see myself having them removed within a certain timeframe if I couldn't get used to them. So glad I stuck it out because what is missing from the list is the feeling of confidence that you can tough it out to do something positive for yourself and the excitement every time you look in the mirror and see an improvement. Having braces at 47 is nothing compared to being embarassed to smile because of crooked teeth for most of my adult life.
That is a very good point :D

isthistaken

#37 Post by isthistaken »

kids041 wrote:
kathydell wrote:Kids041 caught just about everything you feel within the first couple of weeks - and I would add the idea that there was a point of no return where I could actually see myself having them removed within a certain timeframe if I couldn't get used to them. So glad I stuck it out because what is missing from the list is the feeling of confidence that you can tough it out to do something positive for yourself and the excitement every time you look in the mirror and see an improvement. Having braces at 47 is nothing compared to being embarassed to smile because of crooked teeth for most of my adult life.
That is a very good point :D
No kidding! Today I was looking for a photo of my previous smile to encourage me for what I am going through because I had a difficult procedure today. It was almost impossible to find any photos in which I was smiling. I virtually never smiled. I do feel never smiling has an effect on your personality. We smile when we are happy, but we--and others--are also happy when we smile. :BigGrin: :BigTeethGrin: :tingrin: :HugeGrin: :mrgreen: :-* :D :-#)

Nana51

#38 Post by Nana51 »

Tqz, there have been lots of good responses here and sure hope you find them helpful. I am two weeks in with braces, clear on top and bottom. I am 51 and if I told you I wasn't concerned about what people would think, I wouldn't be telling the truth. I'm an oddball when it comes to attention. I want it but I don't and this came into play since I got my braces. Only a couple people at work noticed. One other person notices everything...always comments on what people are wearing and is quick to give a thumbs up or down. I thought it odd that nothing had been said so decided to ask who her son's orthodontist is. She answered and then asked who I use. She KNEW but truly didn't care or just hadn't said anything. I was both relieved that my "secret" was revealed and almost disappointed that no one had bothered to say anything. I guess I'm weird!
Bottom line is: no one can do this for you. You have to go into this with your eyes open, be committed to the time it will take to clean your teeth, and have that goal in mind all the way through of the improved outcome when you are done. My sentence is 30-36 months. I had 4 teeth extracted and even though I am a dental wimp, there was nothing to it.
I wish you peace in making up your mind.

marybee

#39 Post by marybee »

You will be surprised at the comments - most will be positive! I've even had people tell me they wish they could go through with it. I' m now in the home stretch with about 3 weeks to go and the time had flown. I'm 57 and since this is my LAST time I made it much more fun! I honestly didn't care what others thought - this was my decision and I did it for me. I'm so happy with the results so far and it makes a world of difference who you go to and how they treat you. My orthodontist and her staff rock!

You will make the decision that is right for you and feel comfortable with. Good luck! :D

JeniK

#40 Post by JeniK »

All I have to say is.....Everyone on this forum has great support for whomever is need of it or just having questions. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have thought about braces for SO long...and Now I am thrilled I have them!! I will be 57 when I am done !! woohoo!! :jump: :jump:

ajs604

#41 Post by ajs604 »

Honestly there is nothing too it. People really do not notice neither do they care. After a few weeks in braces I forgot they were there. They are no part of me. May the force be with you:)
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

djspeece

#42 Post by djspeece »

SunshineRay wrote:
djspeece wrote:You'll be judged, no doubt. Just like you already are a million times a day by strangers and family. If that is paralyzing you at this point, please sit down with them individually or in small groups to explore the issue. Same with your most precious friends. What would they think? Explain you are getting braces to correct a multiple of issues, would they be supportive? A lot of people would poo-poo this approach but it seems clear that this is a very important issue to you.

You always write such good posts, Dan!
Thank you SunshineRay! I appreciate that.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

mapleleafman888

#43 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Just boil everything down to this: Braces are for you, and you alone (unless your spouse is really encouraging you to go ahead)----would you rather have a temporary nuisance or a lifetime of regret with this?

I put off getting braces for a decade even though I wanted them so bad (I'm 25 now). I wouldn't smile intentionally in pictures because I thought my teeth looked nasty, and every time I did see photo's I did smile in I was like ok it's time to get them fixed...it took me years to get the perspective straight and in line, I'm getting braces September 9 2013 (part of that was just growing up and accepting as a human it's okay to get help and improve your self---I was raised with a super he-man father who didn't see doctors or dentist for 30 years at a time)...now after seeing 3 orthos over the course of a few years I finally just said "this is for me and me alone." Or else, go through the rest of life unhappy with your teeth!

There are so many people in adult braces...In another post I mentioned a few I have known personally. 53 y/o lady at the tennis club, 2 women ages 32 and 28 came into the restaurant with braces, my 37 y/o dude landlord, this 60 y/o guy in the grocery store, I dated a girl who had braces, heck even this big tough muscled out bodybuilder guy at the gym has metal braces!

The few people that I have told I am thinking about/getting braces were very supportive and encouraging, from random strangers who I bought shoes from to my own girlfriend and best friend.

Anyways I hope through my story you can find this helpful to you own self.

It's not as big of a deal as we think.

I am still a bit hesitant, but courage means doing it anyways.

Good luck, be strong, get 'er done!
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

Tqz

#44 Post by Tqz »

Maple888

You bring up an interesting counter point. You talked about this to your best friend and they were supportive right?

I can almost bet you that if I told my friend that I was going to get braces that he would call me superficial or something like this. That I care too much about my image yada yada. Funny thing though, his daughter has braces.

Honestly, I am not the person who generally cares about my appearance. Makes no sense right? I don't care about my appearance, but I want braces, but I care what people will think about me with braces. Yeah, I don't get it either...

Like I have said, I made an appointment for a consultation. Seems like forever away, giving me lots of time to think and get paranoid.

mapleleafman888

#45 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Tqz wrote:Maple888

You bring up an interesting counter point. You talked about this to your best friend and they were supportive right?

I can almost bet you that if I told my friend that I was going to get braces that he would call me superficial or something like this. That I care too much about my image yada yada. Funny thing though, his daughter has braces.

Honestly, I am not the person who generally cares about my appearance. Makes no sense right? I don't care about my appearance, but I want braces, but I care what people will think about me with braces. Yeah, I don't get it either...

Like I have said, I made an appointment for a consultation. Seems like forever away, giving me lots of time to think and get paranoid.
I can understand your point, but honestly I thought people would make fun of me just even for considering braces and that hasn't happened even once, not with anyone.

I guess the last thing I can offer you for support is to find a reason for getting braces that makes you comfortable and stick with that reason no matter what you may think others will think. My reason was being embarrassed to smile and also because my mouth doesn't close properly which causes tooth and jaw pain. For you, I don't know, just pick a reason---and if it's super personal, just keep it to yourself.

Congrats on making the consult...those people who work at the ortho will be the best people to talk to because heck, they live for orthodontics and have seen tonnes of people all different ages get braces probably for many different reasons.

Good luck Tqz!
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!