Want braces, but fear is getting the best of me.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tqz

Want braces, but fear is getting the best of me.

#1 Post by Tqz »

Hi all,

I'm sure you have experienced this at least once.

I would not say my teeth are horrible, but I have a few things I would like to *ahem* straighten out.

I have a mild overbite, my midline is off slightly, and my bite is off on one side. My teeth don't have that "zipper" effect where they meet.

About two years ago I tried Invisilign. But it was only the express. It polished up my smile, but the fact is, it was only cosmetic to the point where it to closed a small gap on the bottom, and straightened out some crowding. I actually liked how my teeth looked with the Invisilign in, because they made my overbite go away. Take them out, and back to having overbite.

So, the Invisilign was kinda a joke. I had trouble keeping them in, and it was not a functional fix. After not being satisfied with the results, I gave up on the retainer too. I have a fixed retainer on the bottom so naturally those teeth have stayed seemingly fine.

I really want my teeth fixed right, and for good. But here is the thing... I'm flat out scared to to get braces. It's the fear of the unknown. It's the reason I TRIED Invisilign, only to fail.

I am afraid of what everyone else is. What will family and friends think. I work with the public. Will I be judged, what if this what if that.

I sometimes fear that I'm going to go to the ortho and have them tell me that my teeth are fine. Even though I believe that they could use work. Then what?

I get nervous with just the thought. I can't even grow a pair and just call and schedule a consult.

I want to get braces and get the ball rolling, but how do I get over the hump?

Timetoshine

Re: Want braces, but fear is getting the best of me.

#2 Post by Timetoshine »

My getting over the hump was when the desire to have straight teeth overcame the fear of what will I look like, what will people think? how will my partner cope with it? etc etc.

Then the decision becomes easy!

(and my teeth are crooked!) Sounds like yours wouldn't need long to adjust from how you describe them.

Good luck with getting over the hump :lol:
[/url]

NeilH

#3 Post by NeilH »

Hi, I found it useful to take it one stage at a time. Pop in for a chat, get a feel for the place and if you are happy, book an appointment to find out a little more. It's your decision to go ahead so take it at the pace you want to go. Find some supportive friends or family to talk to and you will find these boards a great source of support. And keep the end goal in sight. A brace is temporary, your smile, confidence and self esteem is for life. Good luck.

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

One thing I've learned since getting braces is that people are often so preoccupied with themselves and their own concerns, they don't notice much about those around them. I was really worried too about what people think. I'm a university lecturer so have to speak a lot in public and was worried that I'd look ridiculous or that people wouldn't be able to understand me. Well, none of this has happened. Most people don't notice and those that have, have been very supportive, also my speech is fine.

I'd say "Go for it!" It may take a few weeks to get fully used to them but what is a few weeks compared to a lifetime with straight, easy-to-clean teeth, and better overall health?

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

I was exactly the same as you. Put it off and put it off. Didn't want an ortho to laugh at me and the dentist never said I needed to go and see one. I was worried that people would laugh at the 34 year old who had braces.

What pushed me in the end was my 13 year old getting them done. I spoke to my ortho while she was getting an adjustment one day and he said he'd be happy to take a look, no pressure to go ahead with anything so I finally took the leap.

Since getting them on nobody has said anything negative about them, or how they look. I didn't mention them to anybody for quite a while but now I talk about them sometimes and people tend to have sympathy, not negativity. Most people didn't even notice I had them on (I have clear one's) and others again tell me it's great.

Take the jump and go see an ortho. You don't have to take it any further, but at least you will know what your options are :)

Tqz

#6 Post by Tqz »

@Tobilei,
I understand what you are saying. But to me it just frustrates me. It is like salt in the wound to me. I see young children/teenagers walk in and get them put on and its not a huge deal at all. I never see them complain or anything. Its like its second nature.

When I had the invisilign I had expressed my concern even then when the invisilign express was complete to the current ortho, that I wasnt really fully happy. I got this odd vibe that he didn't want to mess with my case. He told me that he would have to extract 4 teeth in order to put me into braces. I think that was to just get rid of me. Well, it worked. Perhaps I offended him when I told him I wanted better (more work?) So maybe thats why I have that feeling any future ortho would laugh at me. And like you, my dentist is flakey... One time she points out this that and the other, and the next I have beautiful teeth?!

@Ciara
I have read what you said all the time about people not noticing on this board (long time lurker...) But I dont know what it is, I see everyones teeth. I notice everything, braces included. I just fear that other people are doing the same to me... Or would once I got the braces. I guess it is because I treat others how I expect to be treated, so why wouldn't I expect others to treat me how I "treat" them?

Is it really not that big of a deal?

@NeilH
The one person who does support me fully is my Wife. But.... She is the only person I have told. And... Now I am here...So baby steps I guess.

The one thing I have searched high and low for is what effect they actually have on the inside of your mouth, aside from the obvious teeth straitening (LOL!). I hear many people say that they forget about them even being on. It is hard to imagine forgetting about such hardware in your mouth! And the LAST thing that I want is to have teeth pulled. Like I say, the problems seem so minimal to me to warrant pulling teeth.

Thanks for your input so far guys!

Tobilei

#7 Post by Tobilei »

I understand your frustration. To be honest, I've read that invisalign isn't really the best thing to correct certain bite issues (I don't know that with 100% certainty though) and perhaps your original ortho should have suggested it was not best for you at the time. Mine told me that while most people are happy with their invisalign results, you mostly get a better result with traditional braces (clear or metal). It sucks that an ortho has made you feel that way :(

My ortho also told me that 10 years ago 90% of his patients were teenagers but now about 40% are adults so there are definitely more of us getting things done.

The way he explained it to me is that it was better for me to go ahead with this now and have my own teeth and a functional bite for the rest of my life than to leave it, have everything get worse as I age and then start needing extra implants or dentures (I already need a single implant or denture due to a baby tooth that didn't fall out or get replaced by an adult tooth).

If you're not happy with your current ortho (and to be honest from what you're telling me I don't think I would be either) definitely see another. Any ortho who makes you feel silly for being there does not deserve your money. There are a number of people who find they need braces for a short period after invisalign, I was warned that that may be the case before I decided to go ahead with anything so I chose braces straight up to avoid that possibly happening. He should have warned you of the same and been accommodating. You paid him a lot of money to have your teeth fixed, you deserve to have them be the way you want them to be!

beckyboo0205

#8 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I was pretty anti-braces when I went into my consultation but my ortho flat out said that Invisalign wouldn't work. I left feeling like "no way." but then once I got thinking about it, I realized... well this idea of getting my teeth fixed probably just isn't going to go away. Everyone said my teeth weren't bad either. I have that classic gap, and no they aren't really bad. But I wanted them fixed. So with invisalign out of the question, I really started thinking about it and basically changed my mind by the end of the day. But still... did I REALLLLLLY want braces? ughh Braces!

Well I have them now and yeah I don't really notice them much anymore. I mean, I don't forget about them during brushing time and eating tme but I'm not 100% focused on them anymore. I do talk about them a decent amount to my husband but that's about it. No one else really cares about them. It sounds weird but I felt like my life was going to change with these things... like I wouldn't be able to do normal things. This is super corny but I was hiking one day and even though "I'm hiking with braces on!" lol

And I totally understand what you mean about noticing EVERYONE'S teeth. I do that too! I think it's because your brain is really focused on this braces thing and the "do I or don't I?" so you just notice that about everyone. Atleast that's what I figured about myself. But I never looked at anyone's teeth in disgust or anything. I just noticed them. And I felt like I noticed way more people with braces. Like this guy at the movie theater once... or Faith Hill... I've even noticed people with Invisalign, even though it's supposed to be "invisible." Even if people notice, they aren't going to think "ughh that person has BRACES! Gross." They may just think "humm ok." but that's probably it!

To me, it sorta does sound like you should find another orthodontist that is more supportive. They shouldn't make you feel weird for being there or judge you. Everyone deserves the chance for great teeth. For me, it made me feel better to see that the receptionist at my dentist office has braces and the ortho assistant just got her braces off!

Lastly, you said that your teeth weren't that bad. The good thing about that is that if you do get braces, and people see you, they'll probably think that you are almost done instead of you just got them on. Only the people close to you will know.

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

I had that same fear after wanting braces for so long that I would be told I should not or could not have them. It was the farthest thing from the truth. They were like, when can we start?

I have also heard from a reliable source who had it done that Invisalign sometimes needs to be "finished" with traditional braces.

Regarding extractions, I was petrified of those as well. I always assumed since I have a small mouth and crowding that extractions were a given. It turned out extractions were not part of my treatment.

Adjusting to braces is a little challenging but if you are motivated enough to get them you will probably be fine. Just grin and bear it !!! :HugeGrin:

Ciara

#10 Post by Ciara »

Tqz wrote:@Tobilei,
I understand what you are saying. But to me it just frustrates me. It is like salt in the wound to me. I see young children/teenagers walk in and get them put on and its not a huge deal at all. I never see them complain or anything. Its like its second nature.

When I had the invisilign I had expressed my concern even then when the invisilign express was complete to the current ortho, that I wasnt really fully happy. I got this odd vibe that he didn't want to mess with my case. He told me that he would have to extract 4 teeth in order to put me into braces. I think that was to just get rid of me. Well, it worked. Perhaps I offended him when I told him I wanted better (more work?) So maybe thats why I have that feeling any future ortho would laugh at me. And like you, my dentist is flakey... One time she points out this that and the other, and the next I have beautiful teeth?!

@Ciara
I have read what you said all the time about people not noticing on this board (long time lurker...) But I dont know what it is, I see everyones teeth. I notice everything, braces included. I just fear that other people are doing the same to me... Or would once I got the braces. I guess it is because I treat others how I expect to be treated, so why wouldn't I expect others to treat me how I "treat" them?

Is it really not that big of a deal?

@NeilH
The one person who does support me fully is my Wife. But.... She is the only person I have told. And... Now I am here...So baby steps I guess.

The one thing I have searched high and low for is what effect they actually have on the inside of your mouth, aside from the obvious teeth straitening (LOL!). I hear many people say that they forget about them even being on. It is hard to imagine forgetting about such hardware in your mouth! And the LAST thing that I want is to have teeth pulled. Like I say, the problems seem so minimal to me to warrant pulling teeth.

Thanks for your input so far guys!
It really is not that big a deal! I notice everyone's teeth but then, I'm a bit "teeth obsessed" at the moment. Most people really don't seen to notice and the ones that do, have all been very supportive. Often they start telling me their brace stories, or start asking questions about getting them for themselves.
I forget I have them. For the first 2 weeks or so, it felt really weird and I honestly thought all I'd think about for 3 years would be my braces. But I've got used to them pretty quickly unless I'm eating or a bracket/wire is rubbing. It is impossible to forget you have braces when eating!

Tqz

#11 Post by Tqz »

[quote="beckyboo0205"]
Lastly, you said that your teeth weren't that bad. The good thing about that is that if you do get braces, and people see you, they'll probably think that you are almost done instead of you just got them on. Only the people close to you will know.[/quote]

I have had a thousand thoughts and scenarios cross my mind. I can honestly say that this thought has never been one of them.

It is definitely one good way of looking at it for sure!

Tqz

#12 Post by Tqz »

Apparently the quote thing doesnt work, or I am just stupid... Sorry.

sablequeenie

#13 Post by sablequeenie »

Think of it this way; at least your biggest issue only sounds like an overbite. Me? I got braces because one of my baby teeth never fell out so I had to get it extracted and wait for my braces to bring down the adult canine tooth. It's normal to be self-conscious about having braces and what people will think, but doubly so in my case because in the meantime I have a gap on the side of my smile so I ALWAYS just smile with my lips closed and cover my mouth when I laugh. It's embarrassing as Hell, but guess what? For all of our cases, at least people know we're doing something to fix it. Just be glad that ultimately you won't be one of those people who open their mouths and make people think "...Ew." lol

Trust me, you WILL get over the paranoia. If I can be over it (with a gap), so can you. All that makes me a little embarrassed nowadays is going to my orthodontist and having all the kids look at me like, "What the heck are YOU doing here??" lol

Best of luck!

isthistaken

#14 Post by isthistaken »

I don't understand why anyone would be embarassed about braces!!!! Having braces is nothing to be ashamed of. Why would it be? I just don't get it. Afraid people will think you are vain? Then don't comb your hair or wear nice clothes, I guess. Afraid people will think you are ostentatious? Then live in a tent and drive a rusty Geo Metro. Afraid people will think you were born with a deformity that can be corrected but wasn't when you were younger so you are doing it now? Tough toenails to them. I am way proud of my metal mouth.

JillD

#15 Post by JillD »

I began to think about getting braces about two years before I took the plunge. When I finally decided to get them, I thought I was going to get Invisalign. When I was told that Invisalign would work for me, I almost gave up the whole idea. When I finally got braces, the only regret was why I had waited so long. If I had gotten them right away when I first thought about them, I would have been done a long time ago and I would have beautiful smile right now.