stupid question but...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

duherro

stupid question but...

#1 Post by duherro »

just to clarify, when my ortho told me to wear elastics at night, does that mean from 6 pm onwards (evening onwards)? Or does it mean during my sleep?

Thanks! maybe thats why when I went to the ortho for a checkup previously, he didn't like my progress because I only wore them during sleep LOL haha. Could have fit in a few more hours each time to make more progress

isthistaken

Re: stupid question but...

#2 Post by isthistaken »

Mine said "at night" = 12 hours.

TMJJill

#3 Post by TMJJill »

Mine said a minimum of 8 hours.

I guess it really does depend on what you need to accomplish with the elastics.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

duherro

#4 Post by duherro »

Hmmm, because I've been wearing them in the day as instructed by my 2nd ortho (the fiirst one was sick when I went for a checkup) and as I wear them ((in front of a PC etc etc) , they make my neck really sore which has never happened with my previous elastic configurations. So I am thinking that I should just be wearing them in the night but, night could just mean during sleep or from say 6pm onwards.

Marigold

#5 Post by Marigold »

You should probably call your ortho office and ask. It does depend. The assistant once told me to wear mine at night and I asked if that meant just while sleeping or 12 hours. She said 12 hours and thanked me for clarifying because sometimes the ortho will just have people wear them while sleeping.
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

emoticon1234

#6 Post by emoticon1234 »

Who needs to sleep? :shock: lol but yeah, probably 12 hours

duherro

#7 Post by duherro »

Also guys, did your neck ever feel sore from wearing elastics?

emoticon1234

#8 Post by emoticon1234 »

My jaw and gums were killing me after my elastics, but no, my neck never hurt. Maybe you should talk to your ortho about that if it continues to be an issue

TMJJill

#9 Post by TMJJill »

duherro wrote:Also guys, did your neck ever feel sore from wearing elastics?
No neck issues directly from the elastics. I do have neck muscle issues from tmjd. I had problems before treatment and still have some problems as I've gone through the treatment process.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!