And Then What?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JillD

And Then What?

#1 Post by JillD » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 am

I had four premolar (and three wisdom tooth) extractions for my overjet problems. I just passed sixteen month (and one week) mark. The extraction gaps that looked like as if they would never close are getting closed nicely, leaving less than one millimeter only on one gap. I think even this gap will close before my next appointment. Because it was the humongous gaps that bothered me the most during the process so far, I feel as if I should be done soon. But I know that wouldn't be the case. My ortho quoted two year treatment (and two other orthos I saw for a consultation quoted two and a half year). So now I wonder what I would be waiting for once all of my gaps completely close. My DH says I will wait for my teeth to be stabilized. If true, how long would it take?

amyhenna

Re: And Then What?

#2 Post by amyhenna » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:25 am

I've been wondering kind of the same thing. I just had my first adjustment yesterday, just two weeks after getting only the bottoms put on, and already my two bottom front bottom teeth are uncrossed! Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT complaining :-* but I am trying to figure out if things move at this pace, how is this going to take 18-24 months?? Maybe it's to do with adjusting the bite. Maybe that takes longer.

emoticon1234

#3 Post by emoticon1234 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:43 am

From what I understand, adjusting the bite is what takes the longest. Getting the teeth straight only takes about a year or so, depending on treatment, etc. Mine are fairly straight at the 14 month mark but I still have two gaps. The one between my top right canine and premolar got closed by the box elastics, and we can't even start closing my left top because the tooth still hasn't descended... Bottom right was getting closed by a power chain but has since moved back when they stopped using them (after I kept shredding them between adjustments). Bottom left doesn't have a gap because that's where all the crowding was.

amyhenna

#4 Post by amyhenna » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 am

What's this about descending teeth? I just heard of it today in your post and another. Is it common for orthodontics to pull out teeth up/down to make them taller?

emoticon1234

#5 Post by emoticon1234 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:03 pm

One of my cuspids hasn't dropped down, and when I had my oral surgery to take 8 of my other teeth out, they cut my gum and attached a gold chain and bracket to the unerupted tooth. they sewed it back up and for the past year they've been trying to gradually bring the tooth down with a spring. When I was younger I had some problems and they had to take out my baby canines and three other teeth to make room for the adult ones. Unfortunately, my adult canine never had the room to come down so it's still stuck up in my gum... So I guess when I say it hasn't descended I mean it's not even showing enough to have a bracket on it yet.