Elastics Dilemma

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Catlady

Elastics Dilemma

#1 Post by Catlady »

Hi! I recently had a orthodontist appointment and I was prescribed to wear rubber bands at night only. I have triangle elastics on both sides and one in the front to fix my midline. My question is What purpose does this serve when you only wear them at night? I thought if you kept a constant force on your teeth with the elastics they will move, but I feel in this case I'm only moving them at night and they move back in their current placement in the morning/evening. I don't see much improvement. Is anyone else wearing elastics only at night? Are you seeing improvement? I've only been wearing them for about a week now. My orthodontist said I will be getting them off this summer, but I feel only wearing them at night will make the process longer and i'm ready to get these off!
Thanks for your comments!

~CatLady

peterataylor

Re: Elastics Dilemma

#2 Post by peterataylor »

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this too. I was told to wear my elastics "as much as possible". So on day one, I wore them constantly, which was easy because I was out of the office and hidden away at home. Then over the weekend, we had friends round so I only wore them at night. Now I'm back at work and trying to wear them whilst sat at my desk. However, at any given moment, I might have to whip them out to have a conversation with someone (speaking with them in isn't really working for me just yet). Plus, they look awful and I'm already very self-conscious about having braces.

Peter

bmueller

#3 Post by bmueller »

I too am curious. I was told if I don't wear them at least 22 hours a day, they do nothing.

isthistaken

#4 Post by isthistaken »

Good question and same here. Told to wear them 12 hours at night, but I prefer to wear them in the daytime.

plugnickel69

#5 Post by plugnickel69 »

I've worn my triangle elastics every day for over 22 hours a day for the 9 weeks since I got them and can't believe the positive change in my bite. I think the amount of wear time depends upon the problem being fixed and don't quite believe that if you don't wear them 24/7 that there will be no progress--just that it will be a lot slower.

2XRound

#6 Post by 2XRound »

No dilemma for my othho: 22 hours a day or I will be treating you for a very long time.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

TMJJill

#7 Post by TMJJill »

I've had multiple elastic configurations over the last 19 months and all of them have been nighttime only. They have done their job.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

zdenka

#8 Post by zdenka »

I think it depends on the treatment. I would trust the ortho. Mine are on all day and I haven't seen any difference in 2 months. Must be one of those things that makes sense to them but not so much to us. Who knows maybe they are very tight and wearing them more than night time would hurt you.
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013

duherro

#9 Post by duherro »

Uhh its worse for me , I was initially told to wear them at night by Ortho A, and then I wasnt wearing them haha, so next checkup he just told me to wear them this time , so I wanted my braces off and started to wear them at night time as originally instructed. It was annoying because I would wake up and my elastics weren't on :(.

So next checkup, ortho B (A was sick) checked my teeth and didn't like my progress, told me to wear it more and I told him that I was instructed to wear them at night, but he just said wear it more and try it on during the day too. So now I am wearing it during the day mostly as well. I just hope that my next checkup that it was correct to wear them during the day :). I am going to be so mad if I get an overcorrrection...

isthistaken

#10 Post by isthistaken »

Seems almost primitive but still in use by even the most advanced practices.

xanidu2012

#11 Post by xanidu2012 »

Was told to wear mine all the time and only remove to eat, brush, floss. I don't want to go past my "sentence" time :lol: My ortho even made elastics fun by giving me 5/16th size elastics in colors (they're called Moose) :lol: