Drinking Coffee with braces - teeth stains?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rhibee83

Drinking Coffee with braces - teeth stains?

#1 Post by rhibee83 »

Hi everyone!

I just got my braces on 3 days ago and was wondering if drinking coffee would stain the TEETH around the brackets and then once the brackets come off you would have those white marks?

I am not worried about the ligs staing (i have metal braces with silver ligs) but just wondering if the teeth stain.

is there anyone who drinks coffee with metal braces and do you rinse after or brush after drinking it?

I only drink 1 cup a day, in the mornings, and I have skipped my one today in fear of staining my teeth!

can any coffee drinkers help me ? as I would LOVE to get a coffee hehe :lol:

isthistaken

Re: Drinking Coffee with braces - teeth stains?

#2 Post by isthistaken »

I love coffee but I haven't been drinking as much of it since getting braces. But I do drink it whenever I want it. It would look wacky to have white squares but I'm sure they can even that out afterwards?

Tobilei

#3 Post by Tobilei »

Hmm I didn't think about after I got my brackets off. I drink 2 cups a day. I brush after my morning cup but not usually after my afternoon cup. I do use whitening toothpaste, hopefully that will keep any staining away.

rhibee83

#4 Post by rhibee83 »

:)

i had one yesterday but I am to scared to have one again today haha!

I really love my coffee, just one a day though, maybe it would be ok? its not black coffee, I have milk in it, no sugar :)

I don't want to have to brush after my coffee though, as I brush in the mornings, then would have a coffee once i got to work and then would have to brush again, annoying! lol
then lunch - brush again lol

Maybe i can start moving my coffee's to lunch time and then brush after the coffee. i do like them and sometimes need them in the morning though but i might just have to get used to it!

Marigold

#5 Post by Marigold »

I drink 2 cups every morning with cream & sugar. I've had braces for 2 years and so far no stains. I know this because I've had some brackets repositioned and got a good look when the brackets were off. I do brush afterwards and rinse with a whitener 1x a day. I have cut way back on other dark beverages like tea, colas and red wine. There's just no way I could go without my morning coffee :)
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

rhibee83

#6 Post by rhibee83 »

Marigold wrote:I drink 2 cups every morning with cream & sugar. I've had braces for 2 years and so far no stains. I know this because I've had some brackets repositioned and got a good look when the brackets were off. I do brush afterwards and rinse with a whitener 1x a day. I have cut way back on other dark beverages like tea, colas and red wine. There's just no way I could go without my morning coffee :)
yay! thanks for your post :) :) makes me feel better that people are drinking coffee and everything is fine! I think I am going to have to buy one today at lunch :)

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken »

I was going to suggest that coffee with cream may not be as bad as straight black coffee. It sounds to me that it would be quite diluted. I like black coffee, but now I sometimes have cappucino to get a little more nutrition since I'm wasting away.

rhibee83

#8 Post by rhibee83 »

isthistaken wrote:I was going to suggest that coffee with cream may not be as bad as straight black coffee. It sounds to me that it would be quite diluted. I like black coffee, but now I sometimes have cappucino to get a little more nutrition since I'm wasting away.
i wish I was wasting away! lol! I seem to find the soft foods like pudding and gelati a nice thing to eat hahaha although, i am cutting back on the sugar I am eating so I am going to stop eating that stuff now :) so maybe eating less icecream and sugar I might lose some weight! I love cappucino's they are my fav :) and now we have a coffee machine at home so there is no escaping them even on the weekend lol

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

I ate more sweets like that at first and then tapered off because it was so monotonous. Plus I was afraid if that's all I ate I would get enormous so I started avoiding especially ice cream.

Today was a red letter day, I had pancakes. My first "solid" food in six weeks and I was so blissful to not have just had a meal of mush or goop. I am sick of Cream of Wheat but always thankful for it when I'm starved. Now, I think I will eat pancakes until I am thoroughly sick of them, too.

I need to try cappucino at home too! I can't drink lattes at Starbucks because something about them always makes me ill.

rhibee83

#10 Post by rhibee83 »

isthistaken wrote:I ate more sweets like that at first and then tapered off because it was so monotonous. Plus I was afraid if that's all I ate I would get enormous so I started avoiding especially ice cream.

Today was a red letter day, I had pancakes. My first "solid" food in six weeks and I was so blissful to not have just had a meal of mush or goop. I am sick of Cream of Wheat but always thankful for it when I'm starved. Now, I think I will eat pancakes until I am thoroughly sick of them, too.

I need to try cappucino at home too! I can't drink lattes at Starbucks because something about them always makes me ill.
yep, i have gained 2 kilos in the past 3 weeks so I am trying to wean myself off them now, i ate nothing but hot cross buns for a while there lol!

what is a "red letter day?" mmmm i bought pancakes to make on the weekend so hopefully i can eat them then! even if i have to suck on them lol. I bought them as a little treat and they are not as bad as icecream etc. I have no idea what cream of wheat is? i wonder if i can get that in australia. it sounds nice!

we have starbucks here but I have never tried their coffee! I just go to a "degani bakery" downstairs at work they make the best coffee! the people are really nice there too. that is no good that it makes you ill. i wonder what it is?

i am craving of pancakes now hahahaha YUM! i am going to have to read your braces story :)

peppy

#11 Post by peppy »

This has been a real stickler for me because I LOVE coffee. I drink less now because I have clear ligs and it stains them. However, when I do drink it, I have 1 or 2 cups a day and swill/brush afterwards. It seems to have kept the staining at bay for longer. Although now I'm at the week before my adjustment and there is a yellow tinge!

Never thought about the under brackets marks but I'm drinking less now than I was before so I'm not too worried about it.
Debraced on Friday 20th September 2013!

Loving my new smile :-D

kingy

#12 Post by kingy »

I drink my coffee (and most other drinks) thought a straw! Lol my friends laugh at me but I swear by using a straw

JumpTheDitch

#13 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I had braces for about 18 mnths the 1st time round, drank several cups a day at work (not able to brush teeth during shift), no staining.

What state are u in Rhibee?

rhibee83

#14 Post by rhibee83 »

JumpTheDitch wrote:I had braces for about 18 mnths the 1st time round, drank several cups a day at work (not able to brush teeth during shift), no staining.

What state are u in Rhibee?
I love hearing that people drink a few cups a day and no staining :)

I am in Victoria! how about you? :)

isthistaken

#15 Post by isthistaken »

Here in the US "red letter day" means a very special day or holiday. I believe it goes back to the practice of using red letters (actually numbers) on a calendar for important events. I think Cream of Wheat is farina. You boil it for a couple of minutes like oatmeal but it is bland, smooth (or lumpy sometimes!) and creamy. We also have Cream of Rice. They both come in a box about the size of a cake mix.