First day in braces age 27

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mj11

First day in braces age 27

#1 Post by mj11 »

First, hello everyone. I've been coming to read here for a couple of months now getting prepared for braces. I always wanted braces as a child but my parents couldn't afford them. Finally, I am able to do it on my own. I decided to go with a dental school. I guess the end product will show if that was a good decision or not.

Anyhoo, from the outside my teeth don't look horrible, but I have an impacted canine on one side with my baby tooth still in place (going to get surgery to have that out in a few months) and the other side have this awful gap because my canine decided it wanted to try and come in between my pre molar and my molar. What a silly tooth. Been my nemises since I was 13 years old. I hate smiling. I'm so so looking forward to the day when I can smile without thinking twice about it!

Today I got a transpalatal arch (horrible inconvenient thing) with an elastic tied to it attached to my pre molar to move that into place eventually. I can't swallow properly feel like I'm choking and because I had bite molars cemented onto my bottom molars I also can't chew anything because none of my teeth touch together LOL. Oh wait, I lied I can touch my two front teeth and bottom teeth together. But I look like a rabbit.

Oh I knew there would be inconveninces but I had no idea that all this junk would be installed in my mouth. Secretly cursing my parents for not doing this for me during the awkward teenage years!! Ah well... (I still love you mom and dad). I have decided that no matter what, my son when he gets to the proper age is getting braces at the appropriate time because the self esteem issues I have suffered all of these years is NOT worth it. But I suppose I will appreciate the end result more than my 14 or 15 year old self would have.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful information you have shared!

After I learn how to post a picture I will. Or perhaps I'm not allowed to yet because I am too new?

Tobilei

Re: First day in braces age 27

#2 Post by Tobilei »

Welcome to the forum :) You need 7 posts before you can post a photo :)

You have my empathy. I wasn't given braces as a teenager either (in fairness things have gotten worse as I've gotten older and my parents were told while I had some problems, I didn't need braces-I guess they only braced more severe cases back then). I wish I had though!

rhibee83

#3 Post by rhibee83 »

Hi and Welcome! :)

I got my braces on today too :). I was told as a kid that I needed them but we couldn't afford them either and I actually didn't want them, i was scared of them and got picked on enough as a kid without braces, so i could only imagine what it would of been like if i did actually get them. anyway today i got the top ones on, bottom brackets are on but i have 6 spacers and they are hurting more than the top teeth at the moment! :soremouth:

I also have an appliance as well, (upper lingual arch with nance button) and yes for the first few days its like i had to learn how to swallow again and how to chew and eat again. lol it was a pain!!!

I hope you get used to yours quickly and that you aren't in to much pain :)

mj11

#4 Post by mj11 »

Thanks everyone! In the words of Ron Burgundy "I am completely miserable San Diego!"

My tongue feels like it's ripped to shreds. I can't chew anything because none of my teeth touch except the bite turbos in the back. :( My arch wires are too long and cutting the inside of my cheeks open. My cheek actually has gotten stuck 4 times to that wire in the back and I had great difficulty removing it. I can't get them snipped today because the dental school is closed for the day.

Sorry for the rant. It's just been a rough day. Plus my 2 year old is being a holy terror from hell.

I will post some pictures when I have my 7 posts.

amyhenna

#5 Post by amyhenna »

I just got mine on last Thursday, but only the bottom 6 so far. At first, the wire was pinching the inside of my mouth, but now it's not. I needed wax to get through a couple of days (I think the third and fourth day?), but now I'm okay without it.

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

I hear you on the wires! This month mine cut up the back of my mouth and I spent easter with my cheeks packed full of cotton gauze. I had them snipped 4 days ago but they're sitting at an awkward position at the moment and have come back a little and are busy jabbing me again. Try and get some wax to stick up there. If you tilt your head so that the side you're trying to wax is at the top it helps. Dry it really well with some cotton padding or a tissue (tissue tends to stick though) and then sort of roll it on slowly it might stick. If not buy some cotton gauze and just wedge it up there between the bracket and your cheek, it feels icky but it helps.

Sorry you're feeling miserable right now :( Those times stink. I hope you can get them clipped soon!

You have my empathy on the terrible 2 year old. Been there 3 times in the past......and at least they're cute and lovable in between the terror ;)

EbonyQ

#7 Post by EbonyQ »

Congrat from starting your journey! :thumbsup:

In the beginning it everything is new, strange, annoying and exacting at the same time but after a while it´s just get “boring” (to use Klobird words) because you get used to them. You won´t notice them that much and at times forgets them, which is a good thing too. Braces becomes normal to you.

What really helped me in the beginning (and even this late in the treatment too) is to write down both good times and bad times you have with your braces in you “journal” on this forum. The good times will give you motivation to read in the bad times, and to write the bad times you get it out and maked you feel a little better (and people on this forum can help you) :D .

Take a lots of pictures! You won´t regret it later :wink:

Good luck!

[/url]

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

Sometimes I wonder about a lot of things, whether braces or toddlers, if "it gets better" or we just get stronger.

Such a philosopher, ain't I? Or should I say "thilothopher." :lol:

mj11

#9 Post by mj11 »

[quote="isthistaken"]Sometimes I wonder about a lot of things, whether braces or toddlers, if "it gets better" or we just get stronger.

Such a philosopher, ain't I? Or should I say "thilothopher." :lol:[/quote]

haha that's a great question! Mine totally tested me at every level today. That with my completely messed up mouth just really has made me miserable.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I love reading your posts and reading all the other stories on here it really helps me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

mj11

#10 Post by mj11 »

[quote="Tobilei"]I hear you on the wires! This month mine cut up the back of my mouth and I spent easter with my cheeks packed full of cotton gauze. I had them snipped 4 days ago but they're sitting at an awkward position at the moment and have come back a little and are busy jabbing me again. Try and get some wax to stick up there. If you tilt your head so that the side you're trying to wax is at the top it helps. Dry it really well with some cotton padding or a tissue (tissue tends to stick though) and then sort of roll it on slowly it might stick. If not buy some cotton gauze and just wedge it up there between the bracket and your cheek, it feels icky but it helps.

Sorry you're feeling miserable right now :( Those times stink. I hope you can get them clipped soon!

You have my empathy on the terrible 2 year old. Been there 3 times in the past......and at least they're cute and lovable in between the terror ;)[/quote]

Thanks for the tips! I've been trying the gauze but it's difficult because I can't seem to get it dry enough back there. But cotton would most certainly help. I had a nap today with my two year old and was horrified to find that when I woke up I was lying in a puddle of my own drool. I suspect that will happen again! lol I feel like a teenager, my words are slurred I'm frustrated because it hurts so much to talk that I don't even bother. My hubby says it's cute, like he's dating the teenage version of my self Haha...oh men.

mj11

#11 Post by mj11 »

^^ I meant to say trying the wax not the gauze. This has clearly affected my brain as well.

Why are the posts showing up like that when I hit quote to reply?

futurefbi07

#12 Post by futurefbi07 »

Welcome to the forum! I can definitely relate to not being able to get braces as a child. But, I think it's more important to be happy that we have the ability to get them now :) Good luck on your journey!

Slack

#13 Post by Slack »

mj11 wrote:^^ I meant to say trying the wax not the gauze. This has clearly affected my brain as well.

Why are the posts showing up like that when I hit quote to reply?
Probably because of your "new member" status. It should work fine after 7posts (http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=37932)

mj11

#14 Post by mj11 »

Oh, I see. Thanks! My next post will be some pictures.

mj11

#15 Post by mj11 »

Ok here are the pics as promised.

Don't mind the cavity, it's my baby tooth that will be coming out in 2-3 months when I get the surgery to bring down the impacted canine *fingers crossed it works* Otherwise I'll be looking at an implant which my insurance doesn't cover and I'm pretty sure I don't have the $$ to pay for it.

My teeth look really white in that first photo. Must be the contrast..they are not that perfectly white in real life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.