Confess your dental hygiene sins

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Confess your dental hygiene sins

#1 Post by oldfart » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:02 am

What bad habbits are you being forced to break with braces?

1) Biting my nails,
2) Chewing my cheek. No clue why I chew my cheek.. sounds gross.. but i confess I do.. can't now though..
3) Actually brushing my teeth more than once a day. Now I don't have a choice unless I want to taste my last meal all day.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

dobiegil

Re: Confess your dental hygiene sins

#2 Post by dobiegil » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:37 am

Before braces:

Brushing once a day

Never flossing

Luckily, I have never had any dental problems. Now, like you, I have to brush after every meal and before bed. I can say that my dental habits have changed for good. I will always take care of my teeth. I don't want to loose them.

braceykay87

#3 Post by braceykay87 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:43 am

Constant snacking! Now I have to think about what/how I eat! And you know what, I've realised I dont need or miss snacking and I've also lost a few pounds!

oldfart

#4 Post by oldfart » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 am

I do that too. Especially after spending 20 min flossing, you have to reevaluate your thinking about if you really want to grab one more chip from the bag on the counter as you walk by it.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

amyhenna

#5 Post by amyhenna » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:07 am

Before, I was tempted into eating chocolates that are always provided in the room that I work in, but now I am having no trouble resisting. I don't want all that sugar getting around my braces!

MrsCharisma

#6 Post by MrsCharisma » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Definitely flossing. I did it occasionally before. Now I'm pretty anal about it :)

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:13 pm

It would be an interesting study to compare the personal dental hygiene of people who had braces at a younger age and those who never had them. It would be interesting to find out whether having braces establishes a completely different pattern with regard to brushing, flossing, snacking and so forth and whether that carries throughout life.

Ciara

#8 Post by Ciara » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:22 pm

isthistaken wrote:It would be an interesting study to compare the personal dental hygiene of people who had braces at a younger age and those who never had them. It would be interesting to find out whether having braces establishes a completely different pattern with regard to brushing, flossing, snacking and so forth and whether that carries throughout life.
I had braces and/or some other sort of orthodontic appliance for 8 years (ages 8-18 with a 2 year break in the middle). I was very good for a few years afterwards but as my TMJ issues got worse and it became more and more difficult to open my mouth far enough to floss between my back molars, I sort of gave up and only did it haphazardly. The funny think is, I've never had an interdental cavity. Any cavities I've had have been on the chewing surface of the tooth.

Ciara

#9 Post by Ciara » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Pencil and pen chewing. While grading or taking notes I had a habit of chewing the tops of either pens or pencils. Braces has helped stop this but doing most of my work on a computer and certainly helped too.

Tobilei

#10 Post by Tobilei » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:08 pm

I don't chew my nails but I REALLY miss biting those bits of skin that rip right beside my nails!! Drives me mental. I keep trying to gnaw them off when I have one and I can't!!!

Also chewing the dry skin off my lip if there's some there. Impossible now :(

As for dental hygiene I don't think I'm any better than I was. Possibly worse. I used to floss every night. Now it's every 2nd night because it's such a marathon trying to get it in the back molars (although I do brush in there every night with my interdental brush). I take longer to brush now than I used to but I don't think I do any better job than I did.

I wish I could say I don't snack, but I do. I'm just smarter about what I snack on so it doesn't all get stuck!

isthistaken

#11 Post by isthistaken » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Ciara wrote:
isthistaken wrote:It would be an interesting study to compare the personal dental hygiene of people who had braces at a younger age and those who never had them. It would be interesting to find out whether having braces establishes a completely different pattern with regard to brushing, flossing, snacking and so forth and whether that carries throughout life.
I had braces and/or some other sort of orthodontic appliance for 8 years (ages 8-18 with a 2 year break in the middle). I was very good for a few years afterwards but as my TMJ issues got worse and it became more and more difficult to open my mouth far enough to floss between my back molars, I sort of gave up and only did it haphazardly. The funny think is, I've never had an interdental cavity. Any cavities I've had have been on the chewing surface of the tooth.
Wow, eight years in braces and now again!

klobird

#12 Post by klobird » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm

The dentist used to be my arch enemy. I brushed and that was it. Twice a day. Now...hmmmm...Ok, well it's like this--I look at everyone around me at work and wonder how they go back to work after lunch without brushing their teeth. That kind of makes me go :yuck: now. Never would have crossed my mind before braces...

Now I love my dentist, and I can't get my teeth clean enough!! I hope I always have these habits, because they're good!!

Anna5

#13 Post by Anna5 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 am

My sins before braces:
1. thumbsucking
2. only brushing my teeth once a day and usually quite quickly
3. never flossing

My sins with braces
1. thumbsucking (but only a few seconds a day, I do my very best to kick this habit)
2. not brushing my teeth after lunch when I am at office (only quickly rinsing my teeth with some water).
3. still never flossing....

Quite bad, isn't it???

JillD

#14 Post by JillD » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 am

My sin after braces is checking out beautiful women's teeth, especially models and actresses and wondering how they would look better with better teeth. I call it a sin because it is like trying to find imperfection in otherwise-perfect looking people. I don't remember I ever looked at celebrities' teeth before.

braceykay87

#15 Post by braceykay87 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:15 pm

I thought of another habit which i had before braces whilst posting something at work today.....Tearing off sellotape with my teeth! Went to do it then realised it was probably a good idea to use scissors instead!