Braces on Short Rooted Teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Corrinne

Braces on Short Rooted Teeth

#1 Post by Corrinne »

Hi everyone.

So my question is: has anyone out they're got any experience of or opinions on having braces fitted on teeth that have bad root resorption (external root resorption) I.e root damage from force of trauma?

Let me explain. I have a very large underbite. I had orthodontics on my upper set as a teenager. My parents refused the surgery on my behalf. They straightened my upper teeth, the braces came off and while I was waiting for my retainer to be made, my teeth moved back to their original position.

Fast forward (I'm now 28) my underbite became so bad that there is no question about having the surgery. I suffer very many associated problems with such a jaw deformity (I won't go into those here). When I was fitted with my braces 18 months ago my orthodontist acknowledged that I have very severe root damage on my upper four incisors. My orthodontist braced all my teeth apart from these four (see photos). She said that the less time these were under pressure, the less likely it was I would loose them.

Two days ago my orthodontist said that we needed to 'get brave' and start moving the upper incisors. She put two wires on my upper set - one thin wire on the incisors and the strong rectangular one I've been wearing already which is prevented from pressing against the incisors with a bit of glue at either side of my canines.

As much as I find this whole thing fascinating, I'm terrified of losing my four front teeth. A the start of treatment the root:crown ratio for these teeth was no more than 0.5:1. Meaning that my roots were half the length of the crown. My orthodontist is amazing and I trust her, but whenever I ask her what the chances of losing or keeping those teeth are, she doesn't answer! Losing my teeth is a reoccurring nightmare of mine and I'm am so frightened at the thought of them falling out.

So if anyone out there has had root damaged teeth moved successfully, I would be overjoyed to hear your story please.

I'll include two photos for you to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos

isthistaken

Re: Braces on Short Rooted Teeth

#2 Post by isthistaken »

I was told by my dentist I have short roots, possibly from trauma, to the same four front teeth as yours. My ortho didn't seem concerned at all, thought my roots looked fine. I am only a month with braces, so too soon to tell if there will be any problems. I read that they check for resorption with xrays during treatment.

peterataylor

#3 Post by peterataylor »

Apparently all my premolars have shortened roots, so my orthodontist is skipping over those entirely. I hope it doesn't leave my arches looking lopsided when everything is finished.

Loztredders

#4 Post by Loztredders »

I have Short roots on the same four teeth, not caused by trauma though - just a dental anomaly, I believe.
I had work done on my molars first, to straighten the arch and then the front teeth banded a year ago, they are coming off on three weeks time.
I think my root ratio was about the same as yours and treatment hasn't shortened them further.
They were pretty mobile at the point where they were moving a lot but now they've been moved less they are starting to become much more stable and my ortho seems pleased with the progress.
I too was terrified of losing my teeth but, I also knew that leaving them crooked was giving them a poor prognosis, plus I was depressed over my smile. So I went for it, and have no regrets.

Corrinne

#5 Post by Corrinne »

@ Loztredders

Thank you for your comment. It has given me hope that everything will work out fine in the end :)
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013

Corrinne

#6 Post by Corrinne »

Hi everyone, I thought I would follow up this thread with my own personal experience for anyone else wondering the same question in future.

I am now 24 months in braces and two weeks away from double jaw surgery and genio, at my last appointment my orthodontist compared my first X-rays with my most recent ones and so far there has been no further root damage to my front teeth - so I can confirm that is is possible to brace and move root damaged teeth withou causing further damage :) yay!

Harmony

#7 Post by Harmony »

Yes I was told I'd short roots as well and I'm 7 months with Braces and no problems so far.

I'm the opposite too you with a large overbite (12mm) Goodluck with your surgery :-)

sneed1o1

#8 Post by sneed1o1 »

I also have short roots, but mine are on my 4 lower incisors. Slight underbite, and have been braced for about a month now. The orthodontist has applied class III elastics to my central lowers to my back upper molars. I would think this would make effect my roots on my incisors, but so far so good. I occasionally have a sensitivity to cold (but I've had this prior). He's only using the light elastics for these teeth, so hopefully all is well! :D

amp

#9 Post by amp »

I would like to ask about this thread as I am braced with short roots. How long was your treatment time? My hope is to be in and out of braces to protect my roots. My teeth hurt like heck and I'm constantly worried this is damaging my roots. Did your teeth feel very sensitive?? Is this related?? I am 3 weeks in...and it still kind of hurts to even brush my teeth! let alone eat....

jawregret1

#10 Post by jawregret1 »

How short are the roots exactly? Is 1:1 ratio considered short?