Are you SERIOUS??!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DisneyNerd

Are you SERIOUS??!!!

#1 Post by DisneyNerd »

GRRRRRR!!!!!

My name is Beth. I wasn't going to join this site, but I'm so annoyed with myself right now. I just got braces on Tuesday and it's been an absolute disaster. The second I got home from the clinic, I noticed that not one but TWO brackets were loose. They both fell out by the time I brushed my teeth that evening. Then I noticed a third loose bracket. That's only just fallen out. Well, I might have snared it with my toothbrush; I don't know. But I managed to pull the wire out as well. So yeah. Not feeling great right now. To top it off, the hole where I had a tooth removed three weeks ago is bleeding again. I already had an appointment with my orthodontist next week as there is some more work to be done, but I'm going to feel so stupid when I meet with her. God, I'm actually crying now.

Snowglobe32

Re: Are you SERIOUS??!!!

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Dont cry...it sounds as if the brackets weren't bonded on properly, an easy fix. It will get better!

Kipepeo

#3 Post by Kipepeo »

Beth don't cry. Sometimes brackets come off early on. It may be the glue was not properly cured before they let you go. Get back to your ortho ASAP and get things fixed. Hopefully, they will do better this time. Also, if the teeth with the loose brackets have crowns, those can be very hard to keep braced.

dobiegil

#4 Post by dobiegil »

Try not to be too hard on yourself. I have had my braces for two months or so. In this time, I have had four brackets come of and actually swallowed a 1 inch piece of archwire that broke off while eating. I felt so horrible and stupid. My ortho and staff reassured me that they have had worse. Now I am able to laugh about it...especially swallowing the archwire!!!! Hang in there.

Robin

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

That seems like a lot of brackets to fall off so soon, but it's not your fault! Sounds really frustrating, though! :rose:

klobird

#6 Post by klobird »

I really, really feel for you!

I got my braces on a Friday--the ortho isn't usually working on Friday, but he was on this particular day...so ya, I got my braces on a Friday.

By Saturday morning the archwire had popped out of the last bracket. About an inch was sticking straight into the side of my cheek. It took about 2 hours to get it back in the bracket tube.
And then later that day it came out again and again. I called the ortho on Monday morning. They couldn't get me in until Tuesday. In the meantime the archwire was out and full on poking like a long needle right into my cheek and bleeding. My ortho has a $50 penalty when you break anything on your braces due to your own actions. I didn't care. My husband got out his tools from the garage (nothing else would cut that wire!) and he cut that inch or so off. Poor guy--I was crying, bleeding, screaming at him--but he got the job done....

Long story short-I didn't get charged the $50 and it was pretty smooth sailing from there--and now I'm almost done! I don't regret any of it, not even having to go thru that awful initial period of time or the small interesting challenges along the way.

It gets better!! Don't give up!! That first week or two can be trying--but it is sooooooo worth it!!
Hang in there!!

(One more thing--call the ortho when you need help--don't wait. That's why they get the big bucks!)

Tobilei

#7 Post by Tobilei »

How frustrating. That's a lot of brackets but sadly it happens from time to time. Always at the worst times!

I haven't had a lot happen all at once, but I've had to go back in for an emergency appointment within a week of every single adjustment I've had so far for various reasons and this latest one, done on Thursday, is no different. I currently have a HUGE wire that feels like a needle digging into the back of my cheek top and bottom on the left side.

Hope you get it sorted soon, some teeth are just hard to bond properly for some reason. Hang in there!

Ciara

#8 Post by Ciara »

Oh, you poor thing! Dpn't be so hard on yourself. If that many brackets have popped off that quickly, then it is not your fault at all. It sounds like they were not properly "cured" (glued) before you left the office. I'd had my toothbrush hit a bracket/get stuck in one many times and it didn't come off.
Sorry to hear about you extraction site has started bleeding again. I hope it is ok.

Corrinne

#9 Post by Corrinne »

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself at all - like everyone else says - it happens, and if it doesn't happen to someone, then they are lucky :)

I'm always phoning my orthodontist up with problems. I've had loose molar bands a few times, I've had a palatal expander that sheared off (very dangerous), loose brackets and on one occasion - this is funny - I got home and looked in the mirror and noticed that my orthodontist had changed my archwires but hadn't put a single ligature (tiny rubber o-rings) on any of the brackets - I guess she forgot! Whoops!

Every time I have phoned my orthodontist she is pleasant and assured me that I did the right thing to contact her straight away. One time my orthodontist stayed after her department had closed in order to fix a problem for me - she waited while I drove there in rush hour! So please call her as soon as you notice a problem. Otherwise you could set back your treatment.

Good luck Beth :D
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos

SunshineRay

#10 Post by SunshineRay »

You poor thing! I would have cried too. I hope things are getting better!!

bmueller

#11 Post by bmueller »

Yeah, that CAN'T be your fault. When they put mine on, they had trays so all the brackets could be put on at once. Two were loose and they had to redo them. Not only that, but when they tried to redo them, in the middle of the curing, the spit sucker thing fell on my tonsil and I started gagging and ruined the curing. After the third try, they finally got the suckers to stick on my teeth. They really should have checked that those were properly cured for you. What a frustrating way to start off. The first few days are hard as it is, and now you have complications. Will get better. We promise.

DisneyNerd

#12 Post by DisneyNerd »

Thank you, everyone. I realise now that it just happens, but at the time I made this post, I wasn't really thinking. So I'm sorry if I came across as a bit of a diva *slightly embarrassed* I guess I was just comparing it to the last time I had braces, which was 8 years ago. I only had one or two problems with them in the year I had them. Besides that, I'm suffering from bad ulcers, too!

Anyway, my braces are fixed now, and the orthodonist realised why the brackets fell out so quickly. I can't remember exactly what she said, but I think she said they were the wrong ones. Or at least the wrong size and/or shape. Something like that. And I have colours on them now, they're much prettier.

oldfart

#13 Post by oldfart »

With a name of DisneyNerd, I would have you have Mickey Mouse shaped ligatures.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

DisneyNerd

#14 Post by DisneyNerd »

Hahaha, that would be quite funny!