A true overbite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anxiousgirl

Re: A true overbite?

#16 Post by anxiousgirl »

you explained in your first post what an overbite is.. but what exactly is an overjet?

i always assumed they were the same thing :oops:
last visit my orthodontist measured my 'overjet'.. i always just referred to it as an overbite.
i am interested to know what an overjet is

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013

Ciara

#17 Post by Ciara »

anxiousgirl wrote:you explained in your first post what an overbite is.. but what exactly is an overjet?

i always assumed they were the same thing :oops:
last visit my orthodontist measured my 'overjet'.. i always just referred to it as an overbite.
i am interested to know what an overjet is
An excessive overbite is when your upper teeth cover (overlap) too much of your lower teeth. An overjet is when your upper teeth "stick out" too far. "An overjet is when there is a large discrepancy between the anterior-posterior distance between teeth, that is, when the upper teeth are very forwardly placed, then it is known as an overjet, or more commonly, buck teeth."

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/overbite-vs-overjet.html

isthistaken

#18 Post by isthistaken »

Maybe a way to think of it is an overjet is horizontal and an overbite is vertical.

katsface

#19 Post by katsface »

Image (From Wikimedia)

Overjet: Top teeth are far in front of bottom teeth.

Overbite: Top teeth vertically overlap, or cover, the bottom teeth.

Here that is again, separated out, in case the above graphic is confusing:

Overjet:

Overbite:
Image (Top shows overbite, or deep bite, and bottom shows the corrected bite.

To avoid confusion, I try not to use the term overbite much. I try to say deep bite instead. It means the same thing but won't be confused with an overjet.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

cbreeze

#20 Post by cbreeze »

Here are pictures of my overbite right before I got my braces on, and then after 4 months of using elastics. Huuuge difference, although my bite isn't totally lined up yet. They created spaces between my top side teeth, so they need to close those up. But I guess elastics DO work relatively quickly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44185

Ceramic Braces on: Feb 4th, 2013
Estimated treatment = 18 months
Class 2 Division 2 Malocclusion

cbreeze

#21 Post by cbreeze »

Here is another view of my overbite before braces & after 4 months (again, my bite is not perfectly lined up yet).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44185

Ceramic Braces on: Feb 4th, 2013
Estimated treatment = 18 months
Class 2 Division 2 Malocclusion

SunshineRay

#22 Post by SunshineRay »

cbreeze- you have beautiful white teeth!

katsface

#23 Post by katsface »

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to post my progress with TADs.

We did not end up using TADs for my deep bite, but did use one (apparently it WAS in my treatment plan) to correct a cant in my upper jaw. This was there before the SARPE aparently, but became much more noticeable once my arch was widened and my teeth straightened out. My upper jaw looked like it was slanted down on my left side and the otho and surgeon thought at first it would need to be corrected with an additional surgery on my upper jaw. I reminded the ortho (several times) that we discussed TADs for the gummyness in my smile, and he finally put one in on the left, buccal side above/between my lateral incisor and canine. It worked like a charm. I'm even a bit too impacted on that side now but that's an easy fix.

In terms of overall gummyness, I realized that some of it was from the cant, and some was from over-elevating my upper lip when I smiled. I read you can get botox injections to relax the lip-elevators but didn't want to go that route. I made an effort to relax my smile a bit, and not use my nose-flaring muscles when I smile. Between fixing the cant with a TAD, and forming a little habit to not over-elevate my lip, my smile line is darn-near perfect now.

For what it's worth, I no longer feels natural to over-elevate my lip. It just took a little staring in the mirror while smiling different ways and paying attention to the sensation of my lip elevator muscles. Once I recognized the sensation of a pleasant smile vs. an over-elevated one, it was pretty easy to stop over-elevating.

Your mileage may vary.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!